National Trust - cheaper to joint Scottish version

Mel B

As we're going to the NEC/area for a few days, I've been having a look at the cost of joining the National Trust / NT for Scoland so we can look at some properties whilst we're there (especially if the weather is a bit iffy!). Whilst looking at the fees for both organisations I found that joining the NT for Scotland is cheaper but with the same benefits:

Nat Trust England:

Single £41.62

Joint £69.00

Family £72.75

Senior - you have to ring them and be able to prove you have had membership for at least 5 years in the last 10!

Nat Trust Scotland:

Single £37.50

Joint/Family £65.25

Senior Single £27.75

Senior Couple £44.65

NTScot Membership

There is also another benefit to joining as they have a reciprocal agreement with some other countries' organisations, most a fair way away but it does include the Netherlands which could be useful!

Reciprocal arrangements

:->

Guest Peter James

New Zealand National Trust is cheaper still and you can use the ticket in any National Trust properties.

Being a charity they are obliged to publish accounts on http://www.charitycommission.gov.uk/ but they don't tell you more than they have to. On page 43 it shows directors on salaries of between £160 - £180k, but they are as coy about their pension contributions and expenses as Members of Parliament *-)

I don't give them more than I have to because I don't agree with their selfish nimby ism. They are obviously comfortably housed themselves.because they seem to care more about a green field or bird habitat that other people having a decent home or affordable food. Millions of people are living in squalor, thousands of couples forced to live with their in laws, because of selfish nimbys like the National Trust. They have turned into a political pressure group to prevent housebuilding and it enrages me further that they are given charitable tax status for that.

Hence I have never paid in National Trust car parks - they have no more legal right to issue fines than any ordinary citizen.

I'm not a great fan of the NT either used to know someone who worked for them, the amount of money they waste and their directors salaries make a mockery of being able to register as a charity.

I did joint the Scottish NT for a couple years as it was cheaper. As a member of the Scottish NT you get access to UK properties but are still required to pay for car parks, works the other way if you are members or UK NT. I didn't put their badge on my screen just showed the card never got charged anywhere for parking. If going to one of the pay & display car parks I put the Scottish badge in the window never got challenged.

Edit:

As a Scottish member you only get info on Scottish sites hardly a problem with the web these days.

silverbike - 2014-02-11 3:34 PM

It's easy enough to buy the English properties book from Amazon. I've found 'used' ones fine. They may have a creased page or something like that but are substantially cheaper.

Does not get you into the NT free though or have I missed something

Mel B - 2014-02-10 11:32 AM

As we're going to the NEC/area for a few days, I've been having a look at the cost of joining the National Trust / NT for Scoland so we can look at some properties whilst we're there (especially if the weather is a bit iffy!).

:->

Mel B

Be aware most of the properties are Closed in February, check out the web for info..

George Collings - 2014-02-11 5:09 PM

Tightwads of the world unite.

..."Money Supermarket Mel" does seem to be on a bit of a thrift drive at the moment.. (lol)

What with this thread, the "Cheap NEC show tickets.." thread...and the "..'bargain at Waitrose" thread...

It does seem to be becoming a bit on an obsession... (lol)

pepe63 - 2014-02-11 5:54 PM

George Collings - 2014-02-11 5:09 PM

Tightwads of the world unite.

..."Money Supermarket Mel" does seem to be on a bit of a thrift drive at the moment.. (lol)

What with this thread, the "Cheap NEC show tickets.." thread...and the "..'bargain at Waitrose" thread...

It does seem to be becoming a bit on an obsession... (lol)

I don't go LOOKING for the sake of it ... honest! :D

NEC show tickets - hubby was looking where to buy them from and found the CCC offer

NT membership - again because we were looking to join ...

Waitrose - only because we went in for some Guinness that was on offer ...

Besides which, not having a regular income now as I'm a poor retiree but too young to get a pension yet, I've gotta save where I can!

:D

Mel B - 2014-02-11 7:54 PM

Mel,

Don't go paying full price for NT membership, there are offers all over the place (usually fliers falling out of magazines) to get 12 months for the price of 9! A 25% saving!!!

Keith.

lennyhb - 2014-02-10 2:21 PM

As a member of the Scottish NT you get access to UK properties but are still required to pay for car parks,

Not true!

I didn't think it was, based on personal knowledge from a few years ago but it possibly could have changed. Unlikely though that was, I checked with Th National Trust and I quote from the reply:

"Members of Scottish Trust can use their parking sticker to get free parking in England, Wales and

Northern Ireland".

It is therefore important to display the sticker.

suntrecker1 - 2014-02-12 11:22 AM

We joined last year £69. This year cost £92. I thought Id phone about the higher cost and was told next year it will be £95 !!!! This is for a couple. Next year we look at the Scottish one. Thanks for the info.

So is that price difference due to the first year being an introduction/ offer price then?..if so,couldn't you have just cancelled/not renewed and then taken out a new membership, perhaps with your OH being the "lead name"?....

(.. having just looked, it seems that you can still get it for £69, in you pay by direct debit?..)

mel wood - 2014-02-12 10:58 AM

As a member of the Scottish NT you get access to UK properties but are still required to pay for car parks,

Not true!

I didn't think it was, based on personal knowledge from a few years ago but it possibly could have changed. Unlikely though that was, I checked with Th National Trust and I quote from the reply:

"Members of Scottish Trust can use their parking sticker to get free parking in England, Wales and

Northern Ireland".

Appears to have changed you now get reciprocal rights, when we were members in 2011 it was the case.

lennyhb - 2014-02-12 11:45 AM

Not true!

Northern Ireland".

Appears to have changed you now get reciprocal rights, when we were members in 2011 it was the case.

I don't think that anything has changed. You stated that when you displayed your Scottish trust sticker in NT car parks you weren't "challenged" so unless you were aware of different arrangements in 2012 or 2013 things have remained the same.

(I'm not sure with your last post, whether you are stating that there were reciprocal rights in 2011, which would seem to be the case in that when you displayed the sticker you did not have to pay for parking, or whether you are stating that in 2011 the reciprocal rights did not apply and you were simply lucky!)

Ah well, The National Trust, as shown in my original post, have made the situation clear. It is important to have accurate, up to date information

lennyhb - 2014-02-12 11:45 AM

Not true!

Northern Ireland".

I don't think that anything has changed. You stated that when you displayed your Scottish trust sticker in NT car parks you weren't "challenged" so unless you were aware of different arrangements in 2012 or 2013 things have remained the same.

(I'm not sure with your last post, whether you are stating that there were reciprocal rights in 2011, which would seem to be the case in that when you displayed the sticker you did not have to pay for parking, or whether you are stating that in 2011 the reciprocal rights did not apply and you were simply lucky!)

Ah well, The National Trust, as shown in my original post, have made the situation clear. It is important to have accurate, up to date information

I seem to be the 'Odd one out' here ? I don't mind paying my National Trust Membership, Welsh,

They protect miles of the Coastline where I live, provide many carparks for Tourists (which being a member, I can park in, IN MY MOTORHOME for free, not free but part of my membership) Preserve many beautiful old houses and gardens all over the country, Preserve Huge areas like the Lake District and prevent 'unchallenged development' in many beautiful areas of our lovely countryside. More Power to their 'Elbows' I say.

There are Thousands of empty, perfectly, livable houses in estates in the North of England, they just arent in popular places like Birmingham or the South of England. It's one of the legacies of a collapse of Heavy Industry, like shipbuilding. And a failure of Government to see that alternative employment was made available for the ones made redundant. That doesn't mean that Houses should be allowed to be built without consideration to the 'Green Belt' and National Trust owned land. Ray

Rayjsi,

You are not quite alone here. We have been NT members for over 40 years. About 20 years ago we had visited over 150 properties but have long lost track of the total.

To me its simple you either maintain land and property or it falls down or reverts to scrubland and eventually forest. Similarly I am no church goer but I appreciate them as works of art and usually leave a contribution after a visit.

I wish there were more sites or CL/ Cs on NT land. Its a pity to see all those car parks empty overnight.

Guest Had Enough
Rayjsj - 2014-02-12 1:38 PM

I seem to be the 'Odd one out' here ? I don't mind paying my National Trust Membership, Welsh,

They protect miles of the Coastline where I live, provide many carparks for Tourists (which being a member, I can park in, IN MY MOTORHOME for free, not free but part of my membership) Preserve many beautiful old houses and gardens all over the country, Preserve Huge areas like the Lake District and prevent 'unchallenged development' in many beautiful areas of our lovely countryside. More Power to their 'Elbows' I say.

There are Thousands of empty, perfectly, livable houses in estates in the North of England, they just arent in popular places like Birmingham or the South of England. It's one of the legacies of a collapse of Heavy Industry, like shipbuilding. And a failure of Government to see that alternative employment was made available for the ones made redundant. That doesn't mean that Houses should be allowed to be built without consideration to the 'Green Belt' and National Trust owned land. Ray

You are not the odd one out at all as the hundreds of thousands of people who support the NT proves and your post is an excellent example of the necessary work that is done by the Trust.

The odd ones out are the tiny number of people who have bees in their bonnet about not just the NT, but almost everything else. And how does the NT attract the calibre of people necessary to run such a massive organisation if it doesn't pay the going rate?

Keithl - 2014-02-11 7:59 PM

Mel B - 2014-02-11 7:54 PM

Mel,

Don't go paying full price for NT membership, there are offers all over the place (usually fliers falling out of magazines) to get 12 months for the price of 9! A 25% saving!!!

Keith.

Yup ... I know ... 8-) that's what the prices I've quoted are ... :->

You only play the full cost if you pay by credit card etc, if you sign up to direct debit you get the cheaper price. :-D

pepe63 - 2014-02-12 11:39 AM

suntrecker1 - 2014-02-12 11:22 AM

We joined last year £69. This year cost £92. I thought Id phone about the higher cost and was told next year it will be £95 !!!! This is for a couple. Next year we look at the Scottish one. Thanks for the info.

So is that price difference due to the first year being an introduction/ offer price then?..if so,couldn't you have just cancelled/not renewed and then taken out a new membership, perhaps with your OH being the "lead name"?....

(.. having just looked, it seems that you can still get it for £69, in you pay by direct debit?..)

Simply cancel the direct debit before your membership renewal and sign up again ... simples! :-D

Delfin Driver - 2014-02-13 6:56 PM

As a Scot living in England, we have always had Scottish membership of the National Trust. We have never been given a parking sticker but I have just asked at whatever English property we have been visiting and have been given a parking sticker free, gratis and for nothing!

I assume the 'sticker' which is being referred to in previous postings is the membership sticker that you're supposed to put in your car's windscreen, not a specific parking sticker. :-S

Guest Peter James

I seem to be the 'Odd one out' here ? I don't mind paying my National Trust Membership, They protect miles of the Coastline , Preserve Huge areas like the Lake District

Doesn't it make you wonder however the coastline and Lake District existed before we paid the National Trust to 'preserve' it *-)

That doesn't mean that Houses should be allowed to be built without consideration to the 'Green Belt' and National Trust owned land. Ray

I take it you are comfortably housed, so your view across the 'Green Belt' is more important than other people having a nice home on it *-)

Archived