Loading scooter.

lynandie

Hi every one.

I have a Honda scooter (125kg) which I want to keep in the rear garage of our Burstner for our trips to Europe.

Can anyone advice me who can supply a system for loading a scooter into a rear garage..

Thanks for any information on this. ;-)

I have a small 125cc motorbike (Sachs MadAss) which lives in our motorhome garage. It weighs 100Kg. It's loaded after unscrewing the rear view mirrors, by pushing it up a ramp (backwards) - which sounds awkward but is remarkably easy as you have control of the front brake so it can't go anywhere! The ramp is secured to the garage door frame with simple hand screw nuts. The tyres sit in an aluminium guide screwed to the garage floor & I use 4 rachet straps to secure it for travel.

The ramp came with the motorhome when we bought it, but there are loads available - look here ..... https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=cr&ei=cg_5UvLcHKLpywOCvYHoCA#q=motorbike+ramp

Hi Lynandie :-D

Have you checked whether you have enough spare capacity/payload to take your scooter in the garage? I may be teaching you to suck eggs if you know about this, but I'd rather mention it now just in case you haven't checked this out yet. :-)

Armitage Trailers in Ferrybridge have ramps ex stock-this is all you need to load it- just start engine and walk it up. However, at 125kg in a garage I would check your payload is ok as this would seem quite heavy on the back axle.

If you are ok weight wise Armitage's will also fit anchor plates for you to anchor it to the floor quite competitively too

Mike

You'll need some tie down points, a lightweight alloy ramp, some tie downs and something to tie/strap the front brake lever on with.  Once loaded use the straps to keep it in an upright/stable position and the a strap around the front brake lever to stop sideways movement.  Simples.   A lightweight ramp, and there are folding ones if you need something that folds for storage are around £50.00.  Ghost Bikesm have one on sale for £48.99 down from £69.99.

The ramp has prongs/lugs whatever you wish to call them.  These sit on the lip of the doorway and in you go....nice and slow......it's easy really.

Might it be a good idea before buying any kit, to place the equivalent weight in your garage and take your van for a drive. I say this as on my last motorhome, not knowing any better put a Yamaha DT125 on the back. It was the most frightening drive I have ever done, the steering was super light and the brakes non existent 8-)

fjmike - 2014-02-10 8:18 PM

Might it be a good idea before buying any kit, to place the equivalent weight in your garage and take your van for a drive. I say this as on my last motorhome, not knowing any better put a Yamaha DT125 on the back. It was the most frightening drive I have ever done, the steering was super light and the brakes non existent 8-)

AND go to a weighbridge and check your rear axle loading!

Hi every one

Thank you for all the feed back on my post.

With the weight issue, that should not be a problem, I hope!!

I have a tag axle MH, 5 ton and I have checked what the max weight I can put in the rear garage, 200kgs.

I want to install a wheel clamp (I think that's what you call it) in the garage to lock the front wheel in.

I presume you need the steel/alu strip on the garage floor to protect the existing floor covering??

Thanks again ;-)

lynandie - 2014-02-10 8:46 PMHi every oneThank you for all the feed back on my post.With the weight issue, that should not be a problem, I hope!!I have a tag axle MH, 5 ton and I have checked what the max weight I can put in the rear garage, 200kgs.I want to install a wheel clamp (I think that's what you call it) in the garage to lock the front wheel in.I presume you need the steel/alu strip on the garage floor to protect the existing floor covering??Thanks again ;-)

If you load and tie it down you won't need a front wheel 'grab'.  It's only a scooter and it's 'light'.  I know people with Kentucky MH's that carry race bikes in the garage.  They use 4 tie downs and tie the front brake as belt and braces against sideways movement and never have any problems. 

lynandie - 2014-02-10 8:46 PM

Hi every one

Thank you for all the feed back on my post.

With the weight issue, that should not be a problem, I hope!!

I have a tag axle MH, 5 ton and I have checked what the max weight I can put in the rear garage, 200kgs.

I want to install a wheel clamp (I think that's what you call it) in the garage to lock the front wheel in.

I presume you need the steel/alu strip on the garage floor to protect the existing floor covering??

Thanks again ;-)

I have a scooter ramp and platform taken from the garage in my Tec freetec. The platform has eyes for tie down. I believe it is of German origin so well made.

The previous owner transported a scooter .I have no need for it and at present have it listed on Preloved.

I am open to offers as I need to sell it

Archived