Gas Bottles

candapack

I am thinking of buying a smallish Camping Gaz bottle for use with Cadac, but wouldn't be able to store it in the gas locker.

Is there an issue with carrying it either inside the van, or in a separate external locker?

Apart from safety, what about ferry/Chunnel regs.? And filling stations? Etc.

Thanks,

Guest JudgeMental
Camping gas expensive....what bottles have you in locker? Just make up a hose to attach to that ..then no need for another bottle

candapack - 2014-02-18 5:36 PM

I am thinking of buying a smallish Camping Gaz bottle for use with Cadac, but wouldn't be able to store it in the gas locker.

Is there an issue with carrying it either inside the van, or in a separate external locker?

Thanks,

EuroTunnel's advice is here

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/site-information/lpg/

Plainly there is more potential for an accident with carrying a gas canister within a motorhome's habitation area (because there will be no opportunity for leaking gas to disperse to the outside air) but you are clearly aware of this.

I can't see filling-stations caring whether your gas canisters are in a gas-locker, a separate external locker, or anywhere else in the vehicle. There may be ferry operators that demand that LPG canisters aren't 'loose' in a vehicle - you'd need to check operators' termas and conditions to confirm whether that's the case.

I'm sure many motorcaravanners carry 'spare' LPG canisters that are not stored in a 'proper' gas locker. And it's certain that tent campers carry gas bottles in their car or in a trailer (I used to do this and never gave 'legality' a thought.)

If you've got reservations, don't do it. If you decide to do it, just make sure the Campingaz bottle is well hidden before you embark on the ferry.

I think you worry too much. ;-)

We've carried a camping gaz 907 in an external locker for years for use with the cadac bbq. Had not prob's at all and they last for ages. Plus you can get refills anywhere Europe included.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-02-18 6:49 PM

candapack - 2014-02-18 5:36 PM

Thanks,

EuroTunnel's advice is here

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/site-information/lpg/

Plainly there is more potential for an accident with carrying a gas canister within a motorhome's habitation area (because there will be no opportunity for leaking gas to disperse to the outside air) but you are clearly aware of this.

I can't see filling-stations caring whether your gas canisters are in a gas-locker, a separate external locker, or anywhere else in the vehicle. There may be ferry operators that demand that LPG canisters aren't 'loose' in a vehicle - you'd need to check operators' termas and conditions to confirm whether that's the case.

I'm sure many motorcaravanners carry 'spare' LPG canisters that are not stored in a 'proper' gas locker. And it's certain that tent campers carry gas bottles in their car or in a trailer (I used to do this and never gave 'legality' a thought.)

If you've got reservations, don't do it. If you decide to do it, just make sure the Campingaz bottle is well hidden before you embark on the ferry.

I think you worry too much. ;-)

So probably OK as long as I don't tell anybo..........D'oh (!)

But a good point about campers; sadly I've forgotten that I used to be one and did exactly that. :$

Thanks,

JudgeMental - 2014-02-18 5:47 PM

Camping gas expensive....what bottles have you in locker? Just make up a hose to attach to that ..then no need for another bottle

2 propane in offside (UK offside!) locker. Awning and hab door on nearside. Would need to run a very long hose under the van, or round it. Easier to have it's own supply handy.

Cheers,

Guest JudgeMental
Personally would prefer a longer length of hose then carrying loose LPG bottles. But as snail says, if keeping van, best to run a length of insulated copper from a T, down through hole in floor (with sleeve) and fit outlet on side you want it....

Having a fixed BBQ point, surley that restricts where you can use it? So if windy you can,t move to another position?

We have in the past carried a blue bottle inside the van, in the under seat locker, which did have some ventilation, more for a reseve supply as we can't use French/Spanish bottles, don't fit in our locker.

Now use an electric BBQ, for cooking fish outside van, as we use sites. Not really into BBQ cooking, never seems worth the hassle for two people, great for large parties though.

PJay

• 3 weeks later...

Archived