campsite loos - are they important to you?

RussS Travel Editor

One of the many things we look at when we visit campsites for MMM and the other magazines is the lavatory block(s). But I wonder - how important are these to you?

Do you put much emphasis on this when choosing a site to visit? Would you disregard any sites that didn't have loos, even though you (presumably) have facilities on board? In short, do loos really matter to you?

Really appreciate your thoughts on the matter - we have our own views here in the office, but would be interested to hear yours. Many thanks!

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our van is small, and so is the bathroom, so although it has a shower we prefer to use site facilities. It also means we don't have to top up the water so often. If there are facilities we tend to use the loo as well, just to save emptying the cassette. So yes, the toilet block does matter. My wife loves the CC sites for this reason alone.

You've asked for it now Russ - I predict you will get a lot of irrelevant feedback ( from the usual suspects ) who say " we never use campsites " !

During the day we usually use site facilities so their condition is of some concern - but we can always use our own. If the toilet blocks are not up to much we wouldn't stay very long.

So, overall, i would say that it's not of prime importance, but would affect how long we stay.

If the toilet block is grotty there is a fair chance that the rest of the site is not up to much in other respects.

;-)

Loo's or no Loo's that is the question..............we are not put off sites because of a lack of facilities.  We regularly stay on sites in the New Forest where there are no facilities other than chemical toilet service and water points.  If there are site facilities we use them and 'reserve' the MH loo for emergencies or middle of the night 'visits'.

Hi

in a word Yes.

We mostly travel abroad and often use aires, stellplatz, etc but always stop at a camping spot with facilities at least once every 3 days primarily to get a good shower. It doesn't have to be a campsite - in germany and scandinavia lots of overnight points have showers/toilets

Yes our mh has a shower but its not big and the water supply is limited. Also we are very active, running, walking, cycling so showers are v important.

Clean + lots of hot water are the key requirements (unfortuneatly modern doesnt always = clean!). Plus if low facility ; guest ratio forget it.

Peter

malc d - 2014-02-25 2:22 PM

You've asked for it now Russ - I predict you will get a lot of irrelevant feedback ( from the usual suspects ) who say " we never use campsites " !

;-)

NO...You must have got your forums mixed up Malc'?!?...there's no one like that on here....

(..they're all too busy trekking across the tundra with a team of dogs... (lol) )

Personally, we found that clean and well designed black and grey waste disposal points were more important than site loos ... ;-)

I'd also say they're of importance-it's good to know they're there and if they're clean and tidy, the rest of the site usually is. I look at it that if you're paying X amount to stay at the site, may as well use all of the facilities such as toilets / washing up sinks etc.

I wouldn't disregard a site that didn't have them though.

We are not really bothered whether it has facilities or not as those in the van are more than adequate. If the site has nice loos and showers then we would probably use them. If they are a bit grotty - portacabins for instance - then we wouldn't bother. Disabled facilities are more important to us and there are not many good ones of them around.

Yes, They are usually a good indicator of the sites condition in general, so think you are right in checking out the loos.

Yes, we use the loos, me, especially. The vans Shower is the wife's Domain, especially if the site loos are 'Borderline'.

We do however also stay on 'No facilities' sites as well, we just have to Re-arrange the routine.

Our reason for being in the Caravan Club, is that the loos are always 'up to a standard' not posh, but usually heated and clean. Ray

Hi Russ

Real good question. We use our camper to tour and after 2-3 days stop we start to get restless and unless the site is exceptional, move on. We very rarely use the campervan in this country, nearly all the time across the channel, on aires. After 3-4 days, my dearly beloved makes me stand downwind so we head for a campsite. So, to us, loos and showers are quite important. In all the travelling we've done on the continent there has only been two or three times when we found the washing facilities so bad that we wouldn't use them and, in general, we find there is an exceptional high standard compared with our limited experience in the UK. When we had a bigger coachbuilt, we had our own shower room and loo but still used the campsite facilities. We gave up our bigger van for the convenience of our beloved Bilbo VW (which has it's own electric flush loo and washbasin) but still enjoy using the campsite facilities.

Regards, Alan

Your question refers to loos, usually taken to mean toilets. For us, the facilities (toilets, showers, washbasins, washing-up area, waste disposal points (dry and liquid)) are of prime importance, and their maintenance and condition equally so. So in principle, no facilities, no visit. The only exceptions are where we particularly want to visit somewhere, and there is no fully equipped site within range. Then, we will usually visit during the day, and go elsewhere to overnight. The facilities in the van are mainly used only when access to site facilities is inconveniant, or for "comfort breaks" en route.

If we intend to visit a campsite and we are paying for the Pleasure, when we arrive we do visit the Ablution facilities, and if they do not look clean and well cared for we  move on, as the toilets are a good indicator of how clean the rest of the facilities on offer are.

We tend to use Aires Monday to Friday and then find a nice site with good facilities for the weekend. Facilities in this case means toilets, showers, vegetable preparation area and washing machine / dryer.

Over the past 13 years we have visited sites (especially in France) where the facilities have varied from the excellent to the, 'God almighty!'

As we get older, our needs have changed and today we do rather like the comfort of a nice clean, well heated and spacious set of on-site facilities. So to answer the OP, yes the loos are important to us.

A resounding "yes".

As far as we are concerned they don't have to be modern but they do have to be clean.

We only use our motorhome facilities if there is no other alternative, or rarely when we are on an Aire.

By and large we find the facilities on continental sites are very adequate. They should be as the ACSI price includes their use and the provision of one hot shower per day.

I can't comment on British sites as we have rarely used them since we have bought our motorhome 4 years ago.

Definately not. I very rarely use campsites unless there is no alternitive but even if I do Im way too lazy to trundle across to some shared loo 200 yards away when I have my own on board. Same applies to the shower and doing the washing up.

I guess its just the lifestyle we are used to which is touring and either wilding, Aires or CL sites.

Probably more important to my missus than to me but if we are paying for them, we expect them to be clean and of a standard appropriate to the price. They need to do the basics right - I dislike glitzy blocks where the water is only lukewarm.

I'd like to see more family facilities and facilities that help those who are mobility impaired but not necessarily disabled.

We use any clean facilities in preference to those in the motorhome.

Archived