Another Gaslow query

rgh999

I currently have the larger refillable system fitted with external filler. Only the one large gas bottle installed, and the bottle is of the older type and has no visible indication of how much gas is left. Can someone point me in the right direction as to a fairly reliable gauge that I can install to give me an indication of right time to refill, and whether it's just a straight fit.

I considered buying a second smaller bottle with manual changeover, but would prefer to save the weight and keep the space for other items. I also think I read somewhere that you can't mix the sizes of bottles. Also considered trying to change the older bottle for a newer one with the built in gauge, but not sure if that can be done and what it would cost.

Am not looking for a 100% accurate gauge, just one that gives a rough idea so that I can fill up before running out.

Thanks.

I don't have a gauge either, not do I need one. I have one refillable and one ordinary propane cylinder. When the refillable runs out I switch to the other and refill ASAP.

I have also learned that my refillable lasts me 21 days and it is always around this, so I simply refill at 20 days.

H

We've had a Gaslow since last May - great apart from the gauge which is unreliable (most of the time set at zero!) Asked the supplying dealer about getting it changed under warranty- they contacted Gaslow, who apparently said they're no longer supplying the bottles with gauges because they're so troublesome. Which suggests you may do better not bothering?

I have two Gaslow 11kg cylinders fitted with the standard Gaslow Gauge, they are not very reliable but do give a guide t the contents, a couple of raps on the side of the cylinder also gives me an Idea how much/little gas is left ,I tend to top up when fuelling up so up to now have never run short, have you looked at some thing like this it may assist you.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gaslow-Propane-gauge-and-changeover-unit-/261404565182?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item3cdced1ebe

Guest JudgeMental
there is a pen style device for measuring LPG content. it was discussed on here a few weeks ago...have a look using the "search" function

Madge Gentle - 2014-03-01 7:38 PM

This is my Dometic pen – it works on my cylinder but many people have problems getting their pens to work and they may be a bit hit and miss – you takes your chance!

Madge,

Looking at your photo your cylinder appears to be 'dry', correct?

The secret to getting the Dometic pen to work is to 'wet' the cylinder before pressing the gauge home. The Dometic rep we saw was using baby wipes to clean and wet the cylinder but I find the cylinder dries off too quickly so am using aerosol silicon oil (as recommended in the early instructions) and find it much, much better.

The Dometic pen uses a similar principle to a hospital ultrasound machine and they always use a gel to ensure good contact.

Keith.

Just back from walking the dog – it's damned cold out there!

As you can see from my photo the pen works all right for me even when it's dry.

But I take your point about using baby wipes or using a silicon spray may help the pen work and I'll give it a try to see what happens when either of them are used.

We have had a 11kg Gaslow bottle coupled with a 6kg Propane for around five years and fitted with the Gaslow gauge. The 6kg bottle has not yet been opened because we fill the Gaslow in good time with 7 or 8 kg of gas for around £5-53. I recently bought a Dometic pen and find that it works fine on the lower threequarters of the Gaslow bottle. The gauge gives an indication of the gas level but the pen is much more accurate. I remember seeing a post on here previously where someone gauged the remaining gas by weighing the bottle when it was empty on a bathroom scale and comparing the weight with a full bottle. The balance being the gas in the bottle, if that makes sense. Hope this helps! ;-) B-)

bigal - 2014-03-01 9:35 PM

We have had a 11kg Gaslow bottle coupled with a 6kg Propane for around five years and fitted with the Gaslow gauge. The 6kg bottle has not yet been opened because we fill the Gaslow in good time with 7 or 8 kg of gas for around £5-53. I recently bought a Dometic pen and find that it works fine on the lower threequarters of the Gaslow bottle. The gauge gives an indication of the gas level but the pen is much more accurate. I remember seeing a post on here previously where someone gauged the remaining gas by weighing the bottle when it was empty on a bathroom scale and comparing the weight with a full bottle. The balance being the gas in the bottle, if that makes sense. Hope this helps! ;-) B-)

We had the same Gaslow- Propane set up, after two years of not using the Propane bottle I took it out and blanked off the change over valve port. When the Gaslow gauge starts to show the yellow segment I refill it, Or if we are going on a long trip I top it up regardless before we set off. During the summer we only use one fill up. But we do use camp sites with EHUs usually..

JudgeMental - 2014-03-01 7:15 PM

there is a pen style device for measuring LPG content. it was discussed on here a few weeks ago...have a look using the "search" function

I use a simpler pen style device - a pen! On one page of the little notebook I keep in the van, I jot down the date when I fill up, then tally-bars next to the date for each night away. I know it lasts a week off-grid, so when I get to five bars I start looking for my next refill. Simples!

I do carry a tiny Campingaz 901 & adaptor, as backup, but using this system I've only resorted to it twice in 6 years!

Pressure-sensing gauges (of the type Gaslow has marketed for many years) are a waste of money for telling how much LPG remains in a gas bottle, though they are useful for leak-testing. They won't provide even a rough idea of how much liquid gas remains. They will tell you when the bottle is empty, but you'd know that anyway because your gas appliances will have ceased working.

The late-Mel Eastburn provided a technical explanation in this 2007 forum thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Gas-Bottle-Contents/8233/#M59349

Archived