Headlamp Protector

Pc Plod

Bulletguy - 2014-03-05 4:13 PM
Brian Kirby - 2014-03-04 6:04 PMI'm not convinced the protectors offer any beneficial protection, albeit they may be useful for holding the beam deflectors.
That's the main reason i was looking for some to fit my Transit.Having had rubbish deflectors which just fall off after a few miles, the ones i have now are the absolute opposite and stuck solid to the lens. Also being in very hot sun baked them on even more! If it wasn't for the MOT i'd leave them but have to get them removed somehow.Tried soaking with hot water, washing up liquid and a non-scratch scourer but it won't shift the residue. Not to mention the plastic lenses are so pathetically thin they bend under the slightest pressure.

Try WD40. If you can get just under an edge of the deflector to start it and then squirt as you pull it off, it may work. It managed to get double sided tape off my motorhome cleanly enough when I had to change a number plate. Worth a go?

bob b - 2014-03-05 9:17 PM

Try WD40. If you can get just under an edge of the deflector to start it and then squirt as you pull it off, it may work. It managed to get double sided tape off my motorhome cleanly enough when I had to change a number plate. Worth a go?

I will try that Bob though it's mostly the residue which is proving difficult to shift. Only reason for removing them is because of the MOT otherwise i'd leave the damn things on!

BG,

Why do you need to remove them?

If as you say it is just for the MOT then the short answer is No you don't!

IIRC You cannot fail the MOT for having beam benders fitted as long as the general beam is correctly aligned.

Keith.

Brian Kirby - 2014-03-05 6:35 PM

My only point was that your Exsis headlamps, like mine, are toughened glass fronted Hymer "specials" at about £700 a pop (plus fitting if you don't DIY). So, it makes economic sense to protect them as far as possible because a) they are easily broken and b) of the cost if they

Are yours glass then Brian, just that I thought they changed to polycarbonate a couple of years ago.

Keithl - 2014-03-05 9:39 PM

BG,

Why do you need to remove them?

If as you say it is just for the MOT then the short answer is No you don't!

IIRC You cannot fail the MOT for having beam benders fitted as long as the general beam is correctly aligned.

Keith.

Last year i'd simply forgot about them when i had the van MOT's and the tester guy told me he'd removed them so assumed i'd have to remove them again for this years MOT.

Must admit it wasn't the lad who normally does my test so next i'm there i will see if the guy i usually deal with is around as he seems to be 'the main man'.

The problem seems to be that headlamp protectors for Transits that were being made a few years ago, apparently no longer are.

Potential suppliers (including Van Comfort) were mentioned on the 1st page of this thread. The manufacturer was an Australian company called "EGR", but the Transit-suitable protectors do not appear in the EGR on-line product listing. (The EGR part-numbers were EGR4931 (Transit Mk 7) or EGR4925 (Transit Mk 6))

It looks like EGR has stopped making headlamp protectors for Transits, though suppliers may still have some kicking around on their shelves. As Brian Kirby says, Transit headlamps are pretty tough (and generally available cheaply on ebay), so the protectors may not have sold wonderfully well.

lennyhb - 2014-03-05 10:46 PM

Brian Kirby - 2014-03-05 6:35 PM

My only point was that your Exsis headlamps, like mine, are toughened glass fronted Hymer "specials" at about £700 a pop (plus fitting if you don't DIY). So, it makes economic sense to protect them as far as possible because a) they are easily broken and b) of the cost if they

Are yours glass then Brian, just that I thought they changed to polycarbonate a couple of years ago.

The Hymer A-Class headlight 'glass or plastic' issue was discussed about a year ago in this forum thread

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Hymer-A-Class-headlamps/30375/

Unless things have changed since then (and I doubt they have) expect glass-fronted headlights on your new Hymer.

lennyhb - 2014-03-06 9:27 AM

Looks like I'll have to get some polycarbonate and make some covers then as Trevor no longer makes them.

Well, they may yet change, so I'd wait until you have the van, but ours are definitely toughened glass, and they are about £700 each. Edge Hill were getting them from Germany at a price that was rather better than via UK Hymer dealers, but they are still in that price bracket. I have a pair of Trevor's protectors, but didn't like his type of suckers, so changed them. I assume you rang him to confirm he's no longer doing them? He told me he made them in small batches, and only advertised when he had some to sell. You can get clear plastics suckers in various forms so, if you can get the poly, and have a jigsaw, making suitable covers should be relatively easy.

From where did you obtain the replacement suckers? His initial models had steel screw threads and stained the shields. I am of the opinion that the Polycarbonate is too thick,a thinner version could be curved for a closer fit. I am considering replacing my suckers with 3M heavy duty double lock tape.

The fitting for the protectors on the X250 were better and the shields were contoured slightly to fit.

yeti - 2014-03-06 7:15 PM

From where did you obtain the replacement suckers? His initial models had steel screw threads and stained the shields. I am of the opinion that the Polycarbonate is too thick,a thinner version could be curved for a closer fit. I am considering replacing my suckers with 3M heavy duty double lock tape.

The fitting for the protectors on the X250 were better and the shields were contoured slightly to fit.

Oddly, from a firm called rubbersuckers ( http://www.rubbersuckers.co.uk )! :-) Properly called rubber suction cups.

Quite a wide range avalable and not that expensive. I simply got the round button cups, opened out the holes in the protector a bit, put a split into the "button" and squeezed them through the hole. Bit hard on the fingers and thumbs, but once on they were very secure. They stay on the polycarbonate, which is then easily removed by lifting the edges of the cups.

I don't agree about the thickness of the polycarbonate, since if it were much thinner a flying stone could easily knock it back into the glass behind. Might defeat the object!

I think the film protectors are useless! All they could do is prevent the toughened glass granules falling out onto the road, they could not prevent a sharp impact, which is all it takes to fracture toughened glass, because the impact would be transmitted directly to the glass. There is nothing about film that could stop the glass being chipped, and a chip is all it takes.

Archived