breakdown cover in europe

snail

Hi, which cover would you suggest for extended touring in europe (5 month trips) needs to be all singing and dancing without height, weight, no. of callouts restrictions etc, and is it part of your insurance policy or independant?

Coming round to renewal time again, currently with CC but dont like having to add euro cover for single trips, and it's expensive, had a quote from safeguard which sounds favourable for both insurance and breakdown, are they any good? saga £50 cheaper but been waiting a week for confirmation of mods from there underwriters so not impressed so far, they do seem to make a SAGA out of it all!

thanks snail

We changed to Safeguard about 3 years ago. This year though I would shop around, and gave Caravan Guard another go (was with them before). CG was over £500 , so stayed with safeguard, which does include break cover abroad as standard at just over £300.

As we only use van over the water, we are more than happy with that. Had a stone hit windscreen last year,on the way to ferry. So next day from home called them, and they were prompt at getting autoglass out

same day.

You could also try the German ADAC.

£96.00 pa and they cover all vehicles registered in your name including motorbikes, any vehicle you are travelling in, and for that fee your spouse is also included. Loads of other benefits too. And of course they are native to mainland Europe. Language is not a problem as they will put you on to a fluent English speaker.

I have 5 vehicles registered in my name & it's a total no brainer for me.

Hi, I did some checking a year or so ago, regarding one of the points you raised re number of call out restrictions and I think you will find it diffecult to find any that dont have some form of restriction or imposed penalty after a number of call outs? Albeit it can be diffecult to find the clauses within some of the conditions as it could be limited regarding the maintenace of the vehicle.

The reason I did this was because of a report that someone who was with ADAC had had there cover restricted to Germany only. I couldnt find any confirmation of that myself but like with these reports it makes you think could I end up in a similar position??

Im still with ADAC and have no intention of changing, albeit it is really worth doing some googling as some people have mixed feelings about the cover

Archived