636 Maxi chassis: tyre pressures/full air suspension

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental
I think I initially made the mistake of saying March on one thread......17th of May 2013 it is, and I want a 13 plate! :-D

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest JudgeMental
I think I have an answer to why my van has four season tyres. it seems if you order a van with the optional ESP which mine has, you get the all season tyres. someone found this out over on the globecar forum so it kinda explains it.....

My understanding (as mentioned in my 19 August 2013 8:05 AM posting here)

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Hints-and-Tips/Traction-control-on-an-X250/32169/

is that there's a UK Fiat Ducato supplementary option to have winter/muti-season tyres when the Traction Plus option is specified. As far as I'm aware there's no equivalent to the Traction Plus option available for Peugeot- or Citroen-based vehicles, though the Ducato, Boxer and Jumper/Relay can all have ESP.

I suspect that your Possl has ESP and ASR (AntiSlip Regulator) and that there will be an "ASR"-marked button at the rightmost end of the set of 7 buttons below the heater controls on the dashboard's centre console. Vehicles equipped with Traction Plus have the ASR-button replaced by a button with a capital "T" on it.

It's quite possible that, for the German market, if a Ducato, Boxer or Jumper is ordered with ESP, it will come with winter/multi-season tyres irrespective of whether it has Traction Plus, but I don't think this is automatically the case elsewhere or that it wlll necessarily apply to non-PVC motorhomes.

For example, if one currently buys a new Ducato X250 coachbuilt motorhome, it will almost certainly have factory-fitted Continental VancoCamper tyres. The norm seems to be for the ESP option to be paired with the Traction Plus option (ie. if you choose to have ESP, you get Traction Plus thrown in), but you still end up with the VancoCamper tyres.

....but I refer my learned friend(s) to my post not far above.

It would appear that M+S tyres are standard fit in the German market to all "Heavy" (Maxi) versions of the Jumper, and that Continental only supply this spec of tyre in the required size with the particular load index you have.

My point being that, because you have the Jumper, not the Ducato, these tyres are standard.

Guest JudgeMental
So does that mean if i ever get to drive in an area where chains a legal requirement, I would not need them?

JudgeMental - 2014-04-17 8:46 AM

So does that mean if i ever get to drive in an area where chains a legal requirement, I would not need them?

.....I would think not (as they would be a legal requirement)

What it does mean, however, is that you will be legal for winter season use of roads not designated for chains in Germany and some other countries.

It seems to now be very vague as to when snow chains are required.When we hired a car at Geneva airport in February for a skiing trip we booked the hire car with snow chains. When we collected the car we were told chains were not required as the car was fitted with snow tyres.

In years gone by it was mandatory to carry snow chains if going to resorts like Val Thorens or Val d'Isere. The police could stop you, even in good weather, and not let you up the access road to the mountain.

I sent an email to Val Thorens tourist office asking the exact requirement.

The reply stated that suitable snow equipment was required. They could not define suitable.

So I still do not know if we were running the risk of being turned back if subjected to a random road check.

Although I have to say the snow tyres (M+S) performed very well driving on the snow in the village.

It's been said before, but is perhaps worth repeating, that - although there may be a legal requirement in some countries to fit M+S-marked or 'winter' tyres during certain months of the year - there is a significant technical difference between a genuine 'winter' tyre and a 'summer' (or 'all seasons') tyre that happens to be M+S-marked.

A 'winter' tyre will have a tread pattern and tread compound specifically designed to deal with cold ambient temperatures and snowy/icy conditions, whereas an M+S-marked 'summer or 'all seasons'' tyre (eg. Michelin's "Agilis Camping" or Continental's "Vanco Four Season" patterns) may provide better grip on mud or snow than a non-M+S-marked 'summer' tyre, but will still be comparatively poor in the extreme conditions that a 'winter' tyre is designed for.

The "M+S" marking is rather like the "CP" marking on a 'camping-car' tyre. There's no defined technical or performance criteria that such a tyre needs to meet - it's just an indication to a buyer that the tyre manufacturer is claiming a tyre has an unspecified better-than-average performance on mud or snow or, in the case of the "CP" marking, that the manufacturer is claiming that a tyre is particularly suitable for motorhome usage.

This is explained here

http://www.tyre-universe.co.uk/continental-vanco-four-season-195-70-r15-104r-c-m-s-normal-tyre.html

Afternoon folks,

I have maxi chassis (heavy) on my globecar . the tyres are 215/75 on 16 inch rims. On a recent long trip with full tanks inc 120 litres diesel and 2 no 13 kg gas bottles full, the weighbridge read, front axle 1730 kg. rear 1900 kg . I had about 57psi in the tyres and the van drove very well for the duration of 4800 miles. I do have full vb camper air suspension which I reckon is worth it. The tryres are vanco 2 .

Winter tyres are designed to pickup snow, the snow then sticks to the snow on the road and more traction is achieved, also the compound is different as has already been said. The mud and snow tyres are as I understand , the type that are fitted to offroad vehicles.

norm

Guest JudgeMental
So you're back from Portugal Norm...How did the new VR full air suspension go..sounds like you're pleased and think it a worthwhile expense?

Afternoon Judge,

Yes the ride is much improved .Its not for nothing that the NHS has all x250 with at least rear air suspension. The ride is particularly good over speed bumps and it also helps to reduce rattles. on the camper there is self levelling which means you are much less likely to need levellers which also means that the sliding door stays where you open it to. this is particularly usefull in bad weather, You can also tilt to one side to ensure that the waste tank is empty too. Its very expensive and I would be unlikely to have it on anything but new or nearly new. We intend to keep the van for ten years , but who knows ?

The question is would I have it again and the answer would be yes.

norm

goldi - 2014-04-17 2:00 PM

...Winter tyres are designed to pickup snow, the snow then sticks to the snow on the road and more traction is achieved, also the compound is different as has already been said. The mud and snow tyres are as I understand , the type that are fitted to offroad vehicles.

norm

It's a common misconception that "M+S" tyres are intended to be fitted only to off-road vehicles, though it may well be the case that the tyres that are normally fitted to off-road vehicles do bear the M+S marking.

In the company's advice on winter tyres for vans, Continental says

"The M+S marking is officially defined in an EU directive as meaning: “a tyre with a tread pattern and structure designed to provide better performance in snow than that of a normal tyre”. The performance of “M+S” marked tyres is therefore neither defined nor measured."

and

"Even though M+S marked tyres are in some European countries regarded by law as winter tyres Continental recommends to use winter tyres with the "Alpine symbol" on the sidewall."

Looking at Continental tyres in the size you've quoted for your Globecar, there'd be a choice of VancoEco, Vanco-2 or VancoCamper, all of which are 'summer' tyres and none of which are M+S marked. Continental also markets the Vanco Four Season tyre in 215/75 R16C size: this is M+S marked, but it's a 'normal' tyre intended for vans and transporters not off-road vehicles.

The Continental winter tyre suitable for your Globecar would be "VancoWinter-2". This is M+S marked but, critically, also carries the "Alpine symbol". Its tread pattern is shown here

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/continental/vanco-winter-2/215-75-r16c-113r-44963

and, like all winter tyres, the pattern includes many 'sipes'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siping_(rubber)

Derek Uzzell - 2014-04-18 8:17 AM

The Continental winter tyre suitable for your Globecar would be "VancoWinter-2". This is M+S marked but, critically, also carries the "Alpine symbol". Its tread pattern is shown here

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/continental/vanco-winter-2/215-75-r16c-113r-44963

and, like all winter tyres, the pattern includes many 'sipes'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siping_(rubber)

But do bear in mind that a 'True' winter tyre is not recommended for Summer use so you would then need a separate set of Summer tyres.

Keith.

• 1 month later...
Guest JudgeMental

we visited local weighbridge on way back from Brighton last week, near enough in full holiday mode with water, gas, bikes etc.....probably about 30/50kg more for a continental trip. weights well within tolerance

Was surprise with the 1680 rear axle weight to be honest as swing out bike rack a substantial piece of kit.....Just have to sort out tyre pressures now if I can find the graph!. :-D

Continental's inflation-pressure recommendations for the Four Season 225/75 R16C 121/120R tyres fitted to your Possl are given as follows in the company's 2013-2014 Technical Databook:

1725 - 3.0

1835 - 3.25

1950 - 3.5

2060 - 3.75

2170 - 4.0

2275 - 4.25

2385 - 4.5

2490 - 4.75

2595 - 5.0

2695 - 5.25

2800 - 5.5

2900 - 5.75

Regarding load-carrying capability, your tyres are decidedly 'overkill' for the 1640kg(Front axle)/1680kg(Rear axle) weights and, in principle, you should be able to use safely the lowest 3.0bar (44psi) quoted pressure for both axles.

I suggest, though, that you try 3.25bar (47psi) initially and see what effect that has on the vehicle's ride quality. I doubt there'll be a really noticeable difference between using 3.0bar or 3.25bar, but the handling might be a little crisper at the higher pressure and, if you take the motorhome to its 3500kg limit and the extra 80kg all goes on the rear axle, you'll have some inflation-pressure in hand.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest JudgeMental
Thanks to Derek's advice 3.25 bar all around works really well.....much happier with the ride now, think I can live with it......Really is worth weighing and adjusting tire pressure accordingly. had a slow puncture repaired today and they automatically put in 4 bar.

Archived