X2/50 black smoke and loss of torque at lower revs

Guest Peter James

If you are really wanting to get into what goes on in an engine, you can get a cheap OBDII interface and use a laptop computer and some free software such as multiecuscan which is easy to find online and download. It gives you, I think, 20 minutes use per session for the free package, and limited number of data streams. Think it is up to 4 or 5 you can select. With the licenced versions it is dozens of data streams and unlimited. Anyway, its very useful for reading the codes.

You can get ELM327 interfaces on Ebay but I know many who have bought this one http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000443/1047201-elm327-usb-interface-car-scanner-tools

from china and takes 2 to 3 weeks to arrive. you can also get blue tooth versions as well.

Its really easy to use ( forget the software which comes with them (probably comtains malware anyway), download multiecuscan free version which is for Fiats/Alpha/Lancia.

Its very useful for not just reading fault codes but controlling and testing items which are controlled by the management system. You can turn radiator fans on and off for testing them, warning lights individually, and various solenoids, and fuel pump. Very useful tool indeed when you do not have access to a code reader and all for under £7. All you need is a laptop or netbook.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brambles - 2014-03-21 12:06 AM

If you are really wanting to get into what goes on in an engine, you can get a cheap OBDII interface and use a laptop computer and some free software such as multiecuscan which is easy to find online and download.

If a little knowledge is dangerous just think what a lot can do :-D

Brambles - 2014-03-21 8:07 AM

A little learning is a dangerous thing;

drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:

there shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,

and drinking largely sobers us again.

Alexander Pope (1688 - 1744)

Nice. By the way my comment was facetious, not a crack at your post.

What would he have written if he had read some of the "learning"posted on the internet? It is easy to think you know a lot but not know enough to know how little you know.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peter James
Brambles - 2014-03-19 3:36 PM

I cannot condone running without a working EGR valve as it is there to improve our environment

I respect that view and would not have blocked the EGR valve off if it was working OK.

But I wonder if it would lower the emissions in practice - after all the emissions light was off when it was belching out black smoke, then went on when I disconnected the MAP sensor and the smoke cleared. *-)

On the Ducato forum is a guy who fitted a new EGR valve which lasted only 100 miles. He is asking for help but after a week has still got no replies: http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/346243-2008-ducato-3ltr-egr-valve-problem.html#post3441881

I could just say I have fitted a new EGR valve, but I would rather be honest about it.

1,000 miles later the blanking plate is still in, the van has never run better, there is no visible smoke, and the Emissions light still hasn't come on :-S

Peter James - 2014-04-03 11:04 AM

Brambles - 2014-03-19 3:36 PM

I cannot condone running without a working EGR valve as it is there to improve our environment

I respect that view and would not have blocked the EGR valve off if it was working OK.

But I wonder if it would lower the emissions in practice - after all the emissions light was off when it was belching out black smoke, then went on when I disconnected the MAP sensor and the smoke cleared. *-)

On the Ducato forum is a guy who fitted a new EGR valve which lasted only 100 miles. He is asking for help but after a week has still got no replies: http://www.fiatforum.com/ducato/346243-2008-ducato-3ltr-egr-valve-problem.html#post3441881

I could just say I have fitted a new EGR valve, but I would rather be honest about it.

1,000 miles later the blanking plate is still in, the van has never run better, there is no visible smoke, and the Emissions light still hasn't come on :-S

Isn't your solution temporary though as blanking off the EGR is an MOT failure issue isn't it?

Guest Peter James
Mike88 - 2014-04-03 11:21 AM

Isn't your solution temporary though as blanking off the EGR is an MOT failure issue isn't it?

It is if the emissions light is on - but in my case it isn't.

Although apparently it has brought the light on with other vans.

Guest Peter James
Peter James - 2014-03-18 8:46 PM

He says the one without the hole is soft aluminum, the one with the hole is stainless steel, I don't know why the difference?

:$ Reading that back I think its just dawned on me why the plate with the hole in is stainless steel (more heat resistant), whereas the solid plate is soft aluminium (better seal but less heat resistant)

Think of a domestic hot water tap. If its permanently turned off, the water behind it is cold, so it doesn’t need to be heat resistant. Its only when the water starts to flow through it that the water comes through from the boiler and runs hot, that the tap needs to be heat resistant..

So if you did need a plate with the hole in, perhaps you would need to send for the stainless steel one, rather than drill a hole in the aluminium one, as I previously suggested.

(but mine still runs perfectly with the solid aluminium plate)

This was on the web site of a blanking plate I bought for my Focus 1.8TDCI

"LIFE TIME GUARANTEE!

Precision laser cut from 3mm stainless steel to withstand the high temperatures generated in diesel engines, unlike the thinner gauge and aluminium blanking plates available which can burn through sending unwanted shrapnel into the engine."

Guest Peter James
laimeduck - 2014-04-08 8:50 AM

unwanted shrapnel into the engine."

Good point. So if you want one with a hole in it needs to be steel to resist heat, and stainless steel to avoid flakes of rust being blown into the engine

Archived