MP3 Player

Cliffy

I am looking to buy a MP3 player which can be played through the MH radio via a device that finds a free frequency on the radio and tunes itself in. This will save carrying CDs with us.

Has anyone got any experience of such a device and if so any recommendations?

Thanks

Cliff

Hi Cliff

We have an Apple iPod Nano which we use with a transmitter. It stores and plays up to about 2000 tracks depending on the length of the tracks. The transmitter works very well and we recently bought one that charges the iPod as we travel off the spare cigar lighter. We just put it on shuffle and on a long journey we get quite a mix of music with both my wife and my tastes catered for.

We bought the 4th generation of the Nano as the newer ones have a radio player and photo player which we have no need of. We love it and by using the radio transmitter you get a great quality of sound. There are obviously cheaper MP3 players out there but I have no knowledge of their performance.

Have to agree with Mike been through various MP3 players now use an an ipod far better.

If you go the ipod route depending on your headset you may be able to get an adapter so you can plug the ipod straight in and you control it from the headset. If your headset has a socket on the back for a CD remote changer chances are you can get an adapter..

We only have a cheap, plug-in type MP3 player (Phillips?..probably around 25-30 quid?)...bought primarily because the controls on the MH stereo were too fiddly to operate, without inadvertently altering display settings/searching stations/co*king up the balance etc *-) ..and although the sound quality is very good and we did load dozens and dozens of CDs, it is really tiny!...no bigger than a Wrigley's chewing gum packet!...

Which makes viewing the display and navigating through the menus really fiddly...

So, if you do look at cheaper types, my tip would be, to check how user-friendly they are....

Hi Cliff,

My opinion for what it's worth...

Don't bother with an FM transmitter. I tried a fairly expensive Belkin and at first it was great but only until you travelled a few miles and moved within range of another radio station then you had to re-tune both transmitter and radio. A right royal PIA. AND it was even worse in mainland Europe as there seemed to be even more local stations. In the end I gave up with it.

What radio do you have in your MH and we might be able to suggest a hard wired solution.

Other than iPods the only good MP3 player I have used was an Archos G-Mini which I think was better than an iPod and is still going strong after nearly 15 years!

Keith.

Cliffy - 2014-03-12 11:16 PM

I am looking to buy a MP3 player which can be played through the MH radio via a device that finds a free frequency on the radio and tunes itself in. This will save carrying CDs with us.

Has anyone got any experience of such a device and if so any recommendations?

Thanks

Cliff

Hi I use one of those devices (no blue tooth) with an ipod straight through MH speakers - really great!

Alan

Keithl - 2014-03-13 5:27 PM

Hi Cliff,

My opinion for what it's worth...

Don't bother with an FM transmitter. I tried a fairly expensive Belkin and at first it was great but only until you travelled a few miles and moved within range of another radio station then you had to re-tune both transmitter and radio. A right royal PIA. AND it was even worse in mainland Europe as there seemed to be even more local stations. In the end I gave up with it.

What radio do you have in your MH and we might be able to suggest a hard wired solution.

Other than iPods the only good MP3 player I have used was an Archos G-Mini which I think was better than an iPod and is still going strong after nearly 15 years

Keith.

Keith

The van radio is a Clarrion, which I think is the one originally fitted from new 10 years ago. I dont know which model the radio is as the van is in storage so I can not find out but it doubt it has a facility for connecting to a device of any kind

I agree that the aggravation of having to retune is a real pain, in France the longest we could travel was only about 15/20 miles due to the varying frequencies of the stations. Get a head unit with aux in or bluetooth, Lidl and Aldi sell them frequently.

That I have several of these devices through which I play my Ipod probably says it all, at the moment I am using a Belkin, which seems quite good, but the comments about continually changing stations is true. My car has a hideously expensive built in DAB setup and cannot easily be changed, but in the van I will be changing the head unit for one with a usb port, it seems like the best way to go.

AGD

Archived