Searching for single beds - help needed

multiplamum

We are looking for our first motorhome for a summer-long adventure in France and having looked at the various layout options we think that a rear bedroom with single beds would suit us best. I am now spendIng hours pouring over websites trying to find motorhomes which fit the bill but am going slightly cross-eyed. We are hoping to spend a max of £30,000 and would welcome recommendations and pointers towards motorhomes with fixed single beds. All advice (on any subject!) gratefully received

Hi

You will get lots of ideas coming soon..Not sure of your location but you could try looking at any large Motorhome dealers to get an idea of layouts. I am not saying buy from there but we enjoy just looking and see what's new. Your £30k would get a nice Van

Good luck, it's a great life Motorhoming, wish we had started it earlier...

Some of the manufacturers use a model numbering system that identifies single rear beds. For example:

- Rapido: anything ending in '66' e.g. 966,7066f etc.

- Adria: look for the 'SL' suffiix e.g. 680SL

Others may know of some similar systems being used, Hymer perhaps anybody?

Steve928 - 2014-03-13 9:56 AM

Some of the manufacturers use a model numbering system that identifies single rear beds. For example:

- Rapido: anything ending in '66' e.g. 966,7066f etc.

- Adria: look for the 'SL' suffiix e.g. 680SL

Others may know of some similar systems being used, Hymer perhaps anybody?

On Hymer's if the last number is an 8 it will be either Twin bed or Island bed, eg 578, 678 are twin bed, a 698 is Island bed.

We have a Knaus Sun Ti 650 ME which has two rear single beds that can also be made up into a huge full width double.

We have had ours since June 2006 and haven't really seen anything that suits us better. At that time there were very few twin single bed vehicles available. There was a Hymer and a TEC on our "list". There are lots more available now.

It is 6.86m/22ft 9inch long on a Renault Master base vehicle.

I've not seen many available at the dealers as the MF was the more popular version [French Bed] of the Sun Ti range.

Good hunting

PilgrimPhil

I've always started my search by focusing on dealers. I ask myself which dealer within a two hour drive has a decent reputation. Look at the various award schemes run by motorhoming magazines.

I set the two hour limit when I was working but now I'm partially retired, I could extend that to 3 hours, especially if I could stay overnight. I prefer dealers where I can either stay on site for the day or there is something to do nearby.

Once you find a couple of dealers you trust and who have decent reputations, you can home in on the sort of stock they keep. For me, based on the Wirral, Spinneys in Cheshire, Todds near Preston and Travelworld at Telford would fit the bill. If I pushed for three hours, I'd add Morans at Ludlow. There are other dealers in my 'region' you may like.

Having a good dealer is not the most important factor but it sure does make life easier after the purchase!

You are already on a good site to research motorhome layouts , reviews and sales.Click on the MOTORHOMES button above and explore the site also use Autotrader most of the adds have at least half a dozen pictures and you can use filters to refine your search. More specific questions about models and dealers can then be addressed.

We have a Hymer 572 (no 8 present) that has two single beds with a large garage below that is high enough for bicycles. A spare wheel is also housed in the garage, we have found this layout ideal but there are not many like this about.

Best of luck with your search.

multiplamum - 2014-03-13 9:27 AM

We are looking for our first motorhome for a summer-long adventure in France and having looked at the various layout options we think that a rear bedroom with single beds would suit us best. I am now spendIng hours pouring over websites trying to find motorhomes which fit the bill but am going slightly cross-eyed. We are hoping to spend a max of £30,000 and would welcome recommendations and pointers towards motorhomes with fixed single beds. All advice (on any subject!) gratefully received

We have an Autotrail Coachbuilt Savannah which has a rear bedroom with single beds at a 'Reasonable height' (no climbing, wife disabled). The price new, is well over your target price, but second hand, maybe ? Autotrail also did a Coachbuilt called a 'Miami' the SE model had Rear single beds, But both vans are quite long at 7 + metres , and are over 3500 kgs. So you would need to check your license

In the British Panel Vans, the Autosleeper Warwick has a rear twin setee lounge, which convert into single beds, and might fit your Spec.

Good Luck on your quest !

Ray. ;-)

EMS - 2014-03-13 3:09 PM

We have a Hymer 572 (no 8 present) that has two single beds with a large garage below that is high enough for bicycles. A spare wheel is also housed in the garage, we have found this layout ideal but there are not many like this about.

Are these bunk beds??

i would think Op is looking for two Beds, but I could be wrong

PJay

We have an autotrail Miami with fixed singles then a rear bathroom

We have looked at shows at other makes and models but never seen one we think would suit us as good . Plenty of storage for us , nice size kitchen . It's on a Renault automatic and is a dream to drive

The one down side was that it had a cream fixed carpet which looked a bit tired so we have ripped it out , bought new and waiting for my mate to fix

Happy hunting and hope you find something to suit

We have a 2006 Hymer B674 which has single beds and the B680 of the same era had them too.

Single bed layouts take up more length within the MH than other layouts, so they sometimes have smaller bath rooms or other compromises to create the extra room for the beds. The B674 came with two versions of bed/garage height and i think most owners chose the higher beds, for more garage room but unless you really do want to load a scooter in the garage, the lower bed height arrangement is much better inside the van. It works better for us anyway - because we like to sit up in bed and drink morning tea! There isnt enough payoad to fill up the garage anyway, so why have extra height in there if you can't use it?

Because single bed layouts have got more popular, they retain their value wel so you might be hard pushed to get a good one for under £30,000 - although of course you might fall lucky and get one of the relatively rare older ones.

Good hunting!

PJay - 2014-03-13 3:19 PM

Are these bunk beds??

PJay

No PJay, its the type with the beds over a garage with a gap between them at the bottom end, so you get a garage but also the benefit of 2 single beds.

2007_hymer_05_van_572_02.jpg.f8bb4b8cec0565bcddebc9f480279a6b.jpg

Wilkins are in your area...

http://www.wilkinsmotorcaravans.co.uk/

We bought our van from them. They currently have a Tribute 650 which is worth a look (front lounge/long wheelbase £25000) also an Enfield Venture for £30000

A visit to one of the big shows is a must. We did Lincoln before deciding that a Tribute 550 from Wilkins was excellent value. Note they are Brokers not Dealers. You get the full service but they sell on behalf of the owner for a commission.

Thanks to all for advice and comments.

After many hours of searching I have come to the conclusion that we may well not get what we want at present. The single bed models which are coming out now are beyond our budget and there are not many used ones about.

My OH will just have to practice climbing out of bed over a sleeping obstacle (me).

multiplamum - 2014-03-14 10:26 PM

Thanks to all for advice and comments.

My OH will just have to practice climbing out of bed over a sleeping obstacle (me).

Apparently, some couples find this sort of thing "rejuvenating" - whatever that means. :D

I think you should hire a van first . one to see if you like the life ,( France is great But try parking anywere in englang other than a camp site) We spent over a year looking for the camper that suited our needs Not to long for parking at home, storage , single beds for travling ect its easy to buy the wrong van then loose money when you find the right one . Good luck take your time and enjoy

Mel B - 2014-03-14 5:33 PM

PJay - 2014-03-13 3:19 PM

Are these bunk beds??

PJay

No PJay, its the type with the beds over a garage with a gap between them at the bottom end, so you get a garage but also the benefit of 2 single beds.

Thanks Mel for putting me in the picture.I personally would not like that layout, as I would find difficulty getting in/out of bed. I do like to have a complete space at the side of the bed, due to problem Knees

We like the layout we have, we were lucky in finding what suited us , in our first and probably our only motorhome.

PJay

linfield - 2014-03-14 11:40 PM

I think you should hire a van first . one to see if you like the life ,( France is great But try parking anywere in englang other than a camp site) We spent over a year looking for the camper that suited our needs Not to long for parking at home, storage , single beds for travling ect its easy to buy the wrong van then loose money when you find the right one . Good luck take your time and enjoy

A very sensible sugestion , TRY before you BUY

PJay

PJay - 2014-03-15 12:17 AM

linfield - 2014-03-14 11:40 PM

A very sensible sugestion , TRY before you BUY

PJay

We are planning to do just that but think we will be lucky to find a single bed version to try. Just trying to do the research in advance as I quickly realised that there are many things to take into account when choosing the right van.

Archived