Water tank capacity

Thewad

Afternoon all my first season and still learning, sorted my loo now want to clean and flush fresh water tank.

I have a swift kontiki 645 07, but I cannot seem to see/read what the fresh water holding tank capacity is.

It gives me the heater part can anyone help,as not too sure how much of the cleaning crystals to put in

Thanks

Once all cleaned and refilled do you just keep topping up as the season goes along or do you drain and refill after every use ? In other words does the water 'last ' ok and does everyone use the correct type of hose or just garden ?

Yes, water will last ok and you dont need to keep draining down.....tho it depends how long between your trips. Many use food grade hoses, we do.

We only generally drain down of there is the liklihood of frost and we are not actually in the van with the heater on!

Never had food grade hose just keep filling up from a contaner , ie wateringcan.Also when the frost are gone I never drain down just keep toping up. Been doing it for years all over europe and so far no ill efects. Saying that I never drink water from tank always have a separate container

Ok, just filed with cleaner and filled tank also heater I think ? Placed valve on heater in closed position and opened hot taps until air/water started to run primed pump all seems to be working ok.

Just one question when tank close to full ie 94% I get water running out from what appears to be the heater overflow ? Does this sound right

Assuming you have a Truma Combi heater, the "overflow" is actually a 'breather-valve'.

As long as the water stops running out through the breather-valve once the heater and the rest of the system is full it's OK.

If water will not stop running through the breather-valve, you'll probably need to replace it.

I started a reasonable hygiene regime when I started motorhoming and have carried on with it. Over the years before forums, my handbooks/dealers told me to

- replace the water every 4 days

- flush the water system once a year with a suitable cleaner; I do this around Easter - I don't use the van as much during the winter

- use a food grade hose; sometimes I use a 25l container [cleaned annually] for convenience.

I drink the tank water. I might have a different perspective if I didn't like the water point.

Having read numerous articles over the years, there seems to be a minuscule risk in adopting a more casual approach to water hygiene.

Derek Uzzell - 2014-03-16 9:56 AM

Assuming you have a Truma Combi heater, the "overflow" is actually a 'breather-valve'.

As long as the water stops running out through the breather-valve once the heater and the rest of the system is full it's OK.

If water will not stop running through the breather-valve, you'll probably need to replace it.

It is a truma combi and does stop after a while so looking good thank you for assurance

We drink water from our MH's tank, always have and we're still here to tell the tale (since 2009!). We don't, however, drink 'pure' water from the tank, not because we are worried, but because there are other 'tastier' things on offer! :D We do use it for getting washed, brushing teeth, cleaning veg, salad etc.

When away in the van water usually only lasts about 4 days max as it's only a 66L tank one, however we tend to top it up every couple of days or so if we can anyway to avoid running out and it helps to keep the remaining water fresher. If we have access to water to refill it totally every 14 days or so we'll drain it all out and put fresh in.

At home we always empty the tank as it is usually a while before we go away again - I wouldn't recommend leaving water in when you're not using the van if you are not going to be going away within a couple of days of being home as chlorine doesn't last long once its out of the mains so water that is just left to stand isn't a good thing and often develops a stale taste anyway - just leave a glass of water out (covered) for a couple of days and then take a sip and you'll see what I mean.

We use a good quality 'anti-kink' garden hose and flush it through well before refilling the tank to get rid of any nasties - some have a food grade hose but IMV the water isn't in the hose for long enough for anything nasty to affect it anyway ... but if having a food grade one makes them happier then so be it!

Archived