Campers

ips

Most of you will remember that for various reasons a few months ago we went back to a caravan and we are enjoying it, there are benefits as well as cons anyway never say never but I don't think I would go back to a CB as the width I found to be more of an issue than the length. I would like something that we can use for the times we only want a night or two and keep the caravan for longer hols so I am seriously considering a pop top camper such as the VW California type style and I may want to get something that has a bit of boot space so that I can use it for work as well. The choices are buying a base vehicle and having a bespoke conversion or buying a pre converted one my max spend would be £20k and to honest I would like it to be more like £15k So the main questions I have are as follows.

Anyone have this type of camper and how do you find the general accommodation / facilities (or rather lack of) for short trips.

What kind of MPG to expect from for instance a VW transporter.

Were to buy a new conversion preferably on a couple of year old base vehicle

Many thanks

Any info / tips or comments good or bad about campers in general are very welcome

Good to hear from you again.

In 2002 we bought an Auto-Sleepers Trident which was a high top VW T4 with 88 bhp. (They also did a Trooper which was an elevating roof version.)

We had the van for six and a half years, covering over 76000 miles. We spent up to 10 weeks on individual trips and we found it great for those as well as short breaks. (We tended to use sites with loos and showers. Occasionally we would set up the porta-potti in a toilet tent next to the van.)

At times I used the van for short distance commuting and after I retired we used it as our only vehicle for two and a half years. By driving at 60 mph on motorways we got in the mid to high 30s mpg.Overall the worst mpg we ever had was 30 so all in all we were very pleased with the van. We also found it good for carrying load of various types when necessary.

I am sorry that I cannot comment on the T5 vans but people to whom I have spoken seem very pleased with them.

Hi ips...

Sorry,no idea about VW mpg...

But just a couple of thoughts on the conversion side of things...as you'll be keeping the caravan, would it really need to be a "full on" conversion?...could you live with something more "basic" ?..maybe a removable rock'n'roll/fold-out bed and a self contained,cooker/sink/kitchen unit?

Look at : "Removable campervan units" and "rock and roll beds" etc in ebay...Not cheap..but even "off the shelf" items like those will be cheaper than having it "fully converted"...and it would remain a versatile vehicle...

Same for the roof...As it's only for use for a night or two at a time,could you mange with a standard roof?..at least then, you wouldn't be restricted by height barriers?

We've been using an old Hiace as a camping-van for the bulk of last years' use...and it's worked well..and .when it does go bang, we'll certainly be looking at replacing it with something of a similar size..

;-)

ips - 2014-03-18 2:27 PM

Thanks Mel

That's great info just the sort of thing I wanted, gathering as much info as possible before commiting. :-D

You're welcome.

Thanks for you reply; it's always good to hear if comments have been of some use.

Hi pepe

Good points yes I did even consider doing a sort of overnight type conversion myself (I am more than capable of all the work that would be involved with the interior) rather than a full conversion may even still do that, just line the whole thing and have some removable stuff as you say. As for the roof I want an elevating roof as I don't want high top but I need to be able to stand every now and then due to my bad back.

Hi Ips

We have, as you will see, a VW Bilbo conversion, the Nexa 2.5 automatic, which we reckon (obviously, because we bought it) is the best on the market, that's including a Westfalia. The VW is incredibly comfortable to drive with more oomph than you need for pleasure motoring. By being sensible, I can get 40 mpg, however I'm not normally that sensible and average, on holiday, between 35 and 38mpg. Admittedly, the average mileage, being an automatic, is lower when tootling around town doing the shopping. When we downsized, it's the best thing we ever did! I'm glad we went the full way and not a large panel van - admittedly there are only two of us on most of our holidays and we do tend to use it on the continent when camping where the weather is better. There is sufficient lounging space for four people at night with the door closed, although the advantage is the big sliding door which gives a lovely outdoor feel and we can get the canopy out if we want. Beds are fine and the cooking facilities excellent, we don't need an oven in any case when we're on holiday. One of the things we like about the smaller van is 'she who must be obeyed' doesn't have to clean the bathroom and shower unit every day, we use aires and every 2-3 days we nip onto a campsite for what is normally an excellent shower. Last but not least, it's great having one vehicle and not two. Alan

Guest pelmetman
I have sometimes thought a small camper and a caravan a good combination............. as you'd be able to use the Aires system B-)

pelmetman - 2014-03-18 5:16 PM

I have sometimes thought a small camper and a caravan a good combination............. as you'd be able to use the Aires system B-)

Oh no you can't! They are only meant for PVC and MHs and if the police find you on them they WILL remove you ... we've seen it happen! :-S

Guest pelmetman
Mel B - 2014-03-18 5:46 PM

Oh no you can't! They are only meant for PVC and MHs and if the police find you on them they WILL remove you ... we've seen it happen! :-S

But were they using the camper or the caravan Mel?...............I can't see the difference between towing a trailer and parking on an Aire..........and towing a caravan :-S...........

Although the German couple with a 1970's caravan on the aire at Biarritz clearly didn't understand the rules.................neither do the people in two campervans who appear to live there fulltime..........and have done for the at least the last 4 years :D.........

My Bilbos is now over 14 years old and I've had it for over 13 years. Never had any problems with the Bilbos bits and still in excellent condition. Might not be as slick as some conversions but I doubt there are many campers that have had absolutely zero defects over that sort of period. Westfalia included (there won't be any second hand T5 Westfalias - VW took manufacture in-house and Westfalia agreed not to build any; and don't forget that Westfalia were taken over by Pilote after they went bust!). Very few problems with the VW bits too.

As for what it's like to live with, it's brilliant and sorts our style of trips perfectly. We've only got a small pop up roof and it's a bit of a pain to lower (tucking in the canvas carefully). Would have preferred the full size Bilbos elevating roof which is a bit easier to use but it wasn't an option.

We've got a full width bed but some conversions are rather cosy. In my mind the California bed is rather narrow (off the top of my head I think it's less than 4 feet wide). Depends how wide the furniture units are. For the traditional side kitchen layout I rather like the simplicity of the Bilbos beds - the backrest simply swings over to form the foot of the bed. The side kitchen layout gives a useful boot and space above the rear of the bed for storage of bedding when on the move. The rear kitchen conversions loose out on that storage but gain in forming a useful "room" at the back for a porta potti. Both have there merits and sometimes I feel I would like the kitchen at the rear and at others I like what I've got. Again, only a personal opinion, but I feel that the lounging area is more open with the side kitchen. If I was changing I would look long and hard at the Bilbos Komba but I find the prices frightening.

One thing to be careful of if you convert an existing VW is that the height may just creep over the 2m mark. I believe short wheelbase Bilbos (and other converters) are fitted with slightly lowered suspension. Also, there are certain requirements for a vehicle to be classified as a motor caravan (must be fitted with a bed and certain facilities - can't remember what) and if these are removed it may impact on tax and insurance (and possibly speed limits). Can't quite remember the facts so a quick google may be useful.

There are other options. There are some nice conversions on the Vauxhall Vivaro which tend to work out a lot cheaper but I do like the VW base vehicle.

Can't comment on fuel consumption - mines a petrol and gives about 26 to 30 mpg depending on use. Does mean I don't have top worry about low emission zones though; petrol is cheaper; and I haven't got a DPF.

Basically with this type of camper you can go wherever a car can go and park wherever a car can park without any problems. I'm always attracted to the larger motorhomes when I go to the show but I feel that for me the benefit of the extra facilities would be more than outweighed by the versatility of a compact camper.

Peter

I had a T4 window van converted to my own spec. by Young Conversions. It was a really solid job and was as good as new after 10 years, although the VW part of it was not so reliable. It had a rock and roll bed, no EHU, no fridge, no oven and fresh and waste water were a pair of jerry-cans. It had a huge boot behind the rear seat. From the outside there was no clue it was a camper, which is what I wanted. I used it for everything and preferred it to using the car....with the seat slid forward I could carry 25 bags of horse manure :-D . It was brilliant and I only sold it because of the LEZ. We did 3 week trips in it with no problem.

pelmetman - 2014-03-18 6:10 PM

Mel B - 2014-03-18 5:46 PM

But were they using the camper or the caravan Mel?...............I can't see the difference between towing a trailer and parking on an Aire..........and towing a caravan :-S...........

It doesn't matter what they are actually using to sleep etc in, CARAVANS are NOT allowed on aires. Whether you agree with this or not doesn't matter, it just isn't allowed ... some may 'get away with it' but I can only speak from what I've witnessed!

Cant believe how much these camper things cost, but I really like the vw california but 40 + k your having a giraffe. I reckon I could do one myself for base vehicle plus 2k plus 3k for the roof.

Moving on has anyone had any experience of micro campers as I have a citroen berlingo multi space xtr now I cant see how you spend a night sleeping in one but apparently they do.

Ian, if you do consider DIY, remember that if the base vehicle is post-07 and you EVER want to carry rear passengers, that rear seat has to have properly-compliant seatbelts. If the rock'n'roll ones you can buy off the shelf have them already fitted, then the seat would have to be fixed to the floor in a type-approved way. If not, then the belts themselves would need to be fitted to purpose-built mounting points.

I only discovered these rules recently (on here) after several years of using one of the rear seats in my Cavarno in "sideways-sofa" mode to provide a 5-seater for local runs. Not any more!

Hi ips..

I would guess, that when it comes to the smaller "campers", if they're being used for a couple, then I would've thought that some form of additional tarp/shelter/awning affair would really be beneficial anyway(..after all, for most of them you'll need top stand outside to make the bed up).

We used a Quechua Base tent with our Hiace "camping-van" for most of last year(I've just fastened an awning rail to the underside of the roof bars so I can now use our old Easicanopy as well.).

As well as their silly cost, doesn't the VW California have an offside sliding door?...

...if it does, although that may be workable for a MH( touring the continent etc), I would've thought it may be a pain if used as a day to day/work vehicle.. :-S

Tony

thanks for the info will bear it in mind

pepe

Not sure about the door, leasurdrive do similar style and they are nearside sliding door but still 30k plus. If I could find a converter that did that style with a pop roof for 20 or 25k on a new or very nearly new base vehicle then I would be very interested.

even thought about my Berlingo with our drive away awning just for the odd night but I do like some warmth and comfort.

ips.

A few VW facts, just been out to check. VW Nexa LWB with manyl extras. New Nov 2013.

Miles to date 1869. Total time on road 75 hrs. Diesel fuel av 34mpg.This includes 4 M-way runs of 200 miles each way. the remainder being to the shops.

The M-way journeys av: about 45mpg, some short shop visits av: 28mpg.

As has been said many times we have had about 14 VW's. We found they suited us, I re-assess all campers every three years and VW always came first.

The base vehicles are I believe all the same. Variations depend on engine, suspension and internal bits. This has the elevated roof and an awning - left over from a previous one so used it.

Where to buy, I suggest just searching around.

General accommodation. Not slept in it yet and both in our 80's. I doubt its great but we are prepared to use it for single or double nights as the occasion suits, 2 single beds from the seating. Plus nights in hotels.

For short daytime journeys and me as the chef its got to be very good That is why I bought it.

Archived