Looking for nice site in Northumberland

Cliffy

We are going to take a week away in Northumberland before the schools break up for Easter. I have had a look at quite a few sites but cant make my mind up. Some seem good but expensive others cheap but not particularly good locations. Has anyone got some favourites around the Berwick/Alnwick area.

We like to be in cycling distance a village or town, not bothered about EHU or facilities but would prefer hard standing due to possible wet weather, don't want to wild camp.

Any suggestions welcome.

We are member of C&CCand CC

Cliff

One of my favourites is the CCC site at Beadnell, just over the road from the beach and flat area to cycle into Seahouses for boat trips to the Farne Islands. It does have hardstands with EHU if needed but the site ground does not seem to worry me of being soft even in wet weather, basically sand being near the beach. Enjoy.

morning Cliffy,theres a site just down the road where i live,in berwick,its called berwick seaview-- you can find details etc. in the c.c sites book-- nice little site , great for walking/cycling pub just down the road and only about a mile from the centre of berwick ---- never stayed there as its only a few hundred yards from where i live--- .hope this was helpful.

Hello cliffs have stayed at cc in Berwick that had a lovely view and handy for Berwick also the one in centre of sea houses which was again very handy as its bang in centre of sea houses if you like walking you can walk up to bamburgh castle it's beautifull along the beach haven't stayed at beadnell site but always fancied it Northumberland is great! Pp:) never managed Farne islands trip cos always the seas were to rough the ship inn in sea houses has a lovely bar :)if you go in you'll see what I mean I don't want to spoil surprise :)

Last time we were up that way was 2011, and we stayed at a CCC CS near Alnwick. At the time (according to my diary) it was no 81/2 in the CCC book (don't think that changes) and cost £7.50 a night.

Not being a member anymore, I haven't got the full details now but I remember it being very pleasant and a fairly short drive from town.

If you're not a member yourself, maybe someone who is would tell you the address - CS's tend to be much more relaxed about non-members than CC CL's.

Alnwick also had some dedicated motorhome spaces in the car park near the castle & gardens, which was useful during the day.

Tony Jones - 2014-03-26 10:10 AM

Last time we were up that way was 2011, and we stayed at a CCC CS near Alnwick.

If you're not a member yourself, maybe someone who is would tell you the address - CS's tend to be much more relaxed about non-members than CC CL's..[/quote

Sorry to criticise Tony but if that it is true it is not good. Under terms of operation they are exclusively for members of the Club. Without wanting people to jump on moral or legal issues let alone difficulties in running CS/CL sites and making any money, members of CCC have paid membership fees which entitle them to use these "member only" sites.

By the way Tony, I found your MMM article about your van interesting.

My apologies to Cliff for ever mentioning the possibility of a CS allowing a non-member to stay! I was only trying to be helpful in his quest for somewhere to stay on his trip, and it's led to his thread becoming another episode in the unresolvable "Club? No Club? Which Club?" debate.

Sorry Cliff.

Can we now leave the whole Club issue there, at least in this thread, and offer any more suggestions for places he might stay?

BtW Mel, thanks for your kind words about my article.

Tony Jones - 2014-03-26 2:59 PM

My apologies to Cliff for ever mentioning the possibility of a CS allowing a non-member to stay! I was only trying to be helpful in his quest for somewhere to stay on his trip, and it's led to his thread becoming another episode in the unresolvable "Club? No Club? Which Club?" debate.

Sorry Cliff.

Can we now leave the whole Club issue there, at least in this thread, and offer any more suggestions for places he might stay?

BtW Mel, thanks for your kind words about my article.

It's OK Tony I am a member of both clubs so does not apply.. I have used a few CLs and CSs but never been asked for my membership card. I almost had to force the "Warden""to look at my card.

I have been a member of this forum long enough to have learnt to ignore the cat fights and carry on on topic. Hopefully I will still get some more suggestions on top of the usful one I have got at present.

Cheers Cliff

Cliffy - 2014-03-26 2:34 AM

We are going to take a week away in Northumberland before the schools break up for Easter. I have had a look at quite a few sites but cant make my mind up. Some seem good but expensive others cheap but not particularly good locations. Has anyone got some favourites around the Berwick/Alnwick area.

We like to be in cycling distance a village or town, not bothered about EHU or facilities but would prefer hard standing due to possible wet weather, don't want to wild camp.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cliff

So you will be aware of:

Seaview -Spittal

Dunstan Hill

Beadnall Bay.

Any of those would be fine!

Cliff,

This is my opinion and only my opinion..

Avoid Beadnell Bay C&CC site at all costs!

It is by far the worst C&CC site we have ever stayed at. In fact so bad that we actually complained to the C&CC about it!

We stayed there the year it was 'extended' after having passed it the year previous and commenting how nice it looked. When we arrived it was crammed full and the facilities could not cope and were very outdated. This was all compounded by the 'clientèle' who were again not your usual C&CC crowd, to the point that when one group left they stole all the pot pourri and pictures out of the facilities block. The HSM were fighting a losing battle and all I can say is I felt sorry for them.

The story goes on but we will NEVER, EVER return to this site.

Now Dunstan Hill is a lovely site and is within walking distance of both villages and the beach although somewhat of a distance compared to BB.

Keith.

Hi Cliff

have to agree with Keith about these two sites. Beadnell Bay is certainly better positioned than Dunstan Hill in relation to beach and villages BUT having stayed there once we decided never again for the reasons Keith gives. However, because of its position we went again just as the hardstanding area opened and it was even worse.

The problem seems to be that the C&C Club don't own the site and so its the old story that no one will spend the money on the amenities block other than putting in duck boards so you can walk above the standing, stinking water.

Dave

Cliffy - 2014-03-26 2:34 AM

Any suggestions welcome.

Funny how opinions differ on sites but the above criteria was asked for, and given, I stayed there last September for 10 days and never saw any of those negative things that are mentioned. The toilet shower facilities have been upgraded from a few years ago and never saw any stinking pools of water ect. My suggestion to you Cliffy is call in and look around, I bet you will stay.

A bit further on but you might like to consider what used to be Barns Ness, it is now a bit further on at Dunbar, but its a good site and nice bike ride into Dunbar which is a small harbour and town it has a 2 or 3 good supermarkets and a train station where you can go into Edinburgh. Its CCC. we aren't members anymore but do miss going there.

Thanks for all the recommendations and warnings, you can not get this sought of info by reading site details in a book or Mag.. I quite fancy the Dunbar site. So will probably split the visit between Dunstan Hill and there. It looks like it will be after Easter now as the OH has convinced me to buy a new car and we are picking it up next week,.It will stand most of the time in the garage until October while we are away.

Have you considered the Haven sites there are some exceptional off peak deals. We are at Haggerston Castle this week, North Northumberland just South of Berwick. 7 day deal for £54.90 extra large hard standing pitch, ehu, passes for complex and swimming pool (not that we use them) but a few minutes drive from Holy island of Lindisfarne (we are birders so a superb location) 10 minute drive from Berwick. Ideal location with plenty of cycling and walking from the site. Cheapest CL's in area start at £14 per night so its a no brainer,

You mention being a member of the CC check out April edition of magazine for website and discount deals with Haven alternatively go to the Haven site, be warned though if your above 6.4 m website will not allow booking online so you,ll need to phone, quite painless and very helpful operators, mention your membership of whatever club for a very good discount.

Archived