M/Home Insurance

tonyishuk

Over the years I have been with Camping Club (Devitt ?) Red Pennant and Green Flag.

But this year I have had quotes from StaySure and Caravan Guard covering insurance, UK and Europe Recovery all in prices which are turning out about £100 cheaper than the CC options.

Generally we tour UK, France, Italy, Spain so do not need the EU eastern block

Any comments on StaySure or Caravan Guard ?

Rgds

I also found Safeguard to be good, and cheaper than Caravan Guard, who I was with previously.

Caravan Guard where Ok when we had an accident in Scotland, and had to be towed back to Portsmouth, though some of the claim took a while to settle, due I think to it happening in Scotland, so different laws!

Safeguard was cheaper this year for us.

PJay

Guest pelmetman

We're Saga louts :D..............and will stay with them this year as I've heard a rumour they maybe floating and existing customers may get a bung B-)........

Renewal for a quality camper in rural Lincolnshire............£250 ;-)..............

I am with saga now, just recently qualified, £131 for my Mclouis.

Previous insurer went from 150 to 190, Flux did say they would match any offer but easier to switch and get away from the hard sell they tend to use.

Flux do not use no claims bonus, Saga use it, both allow any car not belonging etc.

Both companies use uk cs.

Just got a quote from Saga, £30,000 Hymer in Glos, £5000 worth of extras and some modifications all disclosed and listed, uk and europe breakdown cover at £308, and they will pay upto £35 if your existing company charges a cancellation fee, only hassle for me was a slower response because of my own mods etc had to be verified by the underwriter department, so a few emails flying back and forth, but i will be taking their offer

snail

One problem with Caravan Club insurance is that the European breakdown part is covered by Red Pennant which for me would have cost £172. Caravan Guard cover breakdowns in the UK and Europe for £87.50. I know cover is different but if I breakdown abroad I don't want an all singing and dancing cover that pays for all hotels and meals etc I just want cover to get the van repaired and back home. I think all other insurers provide very similar breakdown cover to Caravan Guard so Red Pennant is losing out.

Guest pelmetman
Eddy - 2014-03-27 10:31 PM

pelmetman - 2014-03-27 7:04 PM

We're Saga louts :D..............and will stay with them this year as I've heard a rumour they maybe floating and existing customers may get a bung B-)........

Renewal for a quality camper in rural Lincolnshire............£250 ;-)..............

£250, you're having a laugh surely, and zero breakdown cover UK or European for your van, mind you doubt you'd get full european cover for a vehicle of that age with any insurer, even if you could get UK cover...........................still you may get £100 worth of shares in return for paying through the nose year after year, as you do with all things saga. ;-)

Correction ;-).............camper £228.08..........trailer £24.38 ;-)...............With unlimited European cover B-)...

As for breakdown.... ADAC..... no age restriction and cheap as chips when compared to UK breakdown companies *-)......Plus if I had one of these new fangled vans that apparently can cost thousands just to diagnose a problem 8-)...........then obviously a comprehensive breakdown cover is essential >:-)......

Strangely us people with uncomplicated old technology, don't seem to suffer from such expensive drama's :-S

Progress eh? :D

Horace has just done 3.5k miles down to Spain and back for the 5th time in 4 years B-)............mechanical failures this trip.................one cupboard catch :'(...........Dam sleeping Policeman *-)

Guest pelmetman
sshortcircuit - 2014-03-29 8:18 AM

I must have problems with systems. Tried SAGA and just like the CCC system it fell over and this continues every time and I have tried about 5 times now over a number of days. Give up.

I ring them up ;-).................

pelmetman - 2014-03-29 8:26 AM

sshortcircuit - 2014-03-29 8:18 AM

I must have problems with systems. Tried SAGA and just like the CCC system it fell over and this continues every time and I have tried about 5 times now over a number of days. Give up.

I ring them up ;-).................

Thanks, but in Spain at moment so no phone calls. I have emailed to ask why I am having problem's with their system as I can get other companies to work.

sshortcircuit - 2014-03-29 8:34 AM

Thanks, but in Spain at moment so no phone calls. I have emailed to ask why I am having problem's with their system as I can get other companies to work.

Probably detecting you are logging on from outside the UK.

lennyhb - 2014-03-29 10:43 AM

What difference will that make? Does not appear to be a factor with other companies and I give my UK address and state its parked on driveway there.

sshortcircuit - 2014-03-29 1:55 PM

What difference will that make? Does not appear to be a factor with other companies and I give my UK address and state its parked on driveway there.

Probably just the way their servers are set up to reject applications from outside the UK, as you are logging on from a different country you get rejected.

I had a bit of grief downloading some books from Lonely Planet when I was in France last year.

Guest pelmetman
Eddy - 2014-03-29 10:05 AM

Presumably so we know we are comparing like with like, should you break down a couple of thousand miles down in Europe, they will transport you,and your vehicle back to the UK, or would you just chuck a match in it and get the bus........................and for a bloke who portrays himself as the master skinflint I'm surprised you're paying saga rates for your camper..............................go compare ;-)

Steady Eddy ;-)...............I suspect if Horace did breakdown in foreign climes then he'd be far easier to repair than a modern vehicle which seems to need a nerd with a computer to ask it whats wrong 8-)............even then it appears they can't understand the answer *-)............

But should something serious happen.......then your probably right I will just bung a match in, but that would only be as a result of a major accident because I'd know that our Horace was past saving :'(..............

With regard to Saga I doubt I'd get it much cheaper, and I may well get a bung if I stay B-)

Guest pelmetman
Robinhood - 2014-03-29 10:49 PM

pelmetman - 2014-03-29 10:20 PM

With regard to Saga I doubt I'd get it much cheaper, and I may well get a bung if I stay B-)

....we can live in hope (as I'm sure we all have a view as to where you should put it!) 8-)

;-)

What ever do you mean Robin? :-S................

Your not implying that I wind people up with my views on the merits of the older vehicle, when compared to modern offerings 8-)............

Progress eh? >:-)...............

lennyhb - 2014-03-29 2:03 PM

sshortcircuit - 2014-03-29 1:55 PM

Probably just the way their servers are set up to reject applications from outside the UK, as you are logging on from a different country you get rejected.

I had a bit of grief downloading some books from Lonely Planet when I was in France last year.

Received an email from Saga to say their system blocks enquiries from outside uk. Thankfully other companies do not.

Now I will need to find a way of blocking Saga emails as they tend to go on and on once they have your info both by email and snail mail.

It pays to keep moving Insurances :-S last year we were with Safeguard it came in at £391 + this year thats including fully comp in Europe and brakedown, I rang Caravan Guard and got the same cover for £350, we do have a new alarm fitted and reverse camera as well as sensors and Tracker retrieve , we probably could have got the SG reduced but I just took the quote and renewed with CG.

Next year Ill look again and probably yoyo again. :-)

Archived