12v dometic fridge not working - please advise me

julesgemini

Ok. I just can't work this out! I replaced my old rm212 for a second hand rm4210. 240v seems to work fine so does gas. But 12v! No light comes on. I measure the voltage and I get 13v but when I switch on the 12v the voltage drops to 0v and the light doesn't come on. I bypassed the switch and get the same problem. I tool the 12v element out and connected it directly to a battery it heats up! Is it normal for the voltage to drop to 0? Can anyone explain what's going on?

You have a loose or corroded connection somewhere on either live OR ground wiring. This passes sufficient current to register on your DVM but fails as soon as you apply a load.

Check whether fault lies in live or ground wiring by connecting meter to fridge live and known ground (not fridge wiring) if voltage falls to zero when fridge is turned on then live is at fault, if voltage holds then ground is at fault.

Work from there.

Keith.

That makes perfect sense. I will give this a go and let u know if it works. Thanks

Keithl - 2014-04-23 12:41 PM

You have a loose or corroded connection somewhere on either live OR ground wiring. This passes sufficient current to register on your DVM but fails as soon as you apply a load.

Check whether fault lies in live or ground wiring by connecting meter to fridge live and known ground (not fridge wiring) if voltage falls to zero when fridge is turned on then live is at fault, if voltage holds then ground is at fault.

Work from there.

Keith.

Archived