Michelin Agilis Camping - not tyres again!

Brambles

Michelin Agilis Camping Tyres carry the "M+S" mark and therefore qualify as winter tyres in Countries like Gernamy, where they are compulsory during winter months, yet they are suitable for all-year use and deliver a decent mileage.

StuartO - 2014-05-03 11:45 AM

Michelin Agilis Camping Tyres carry the "M+S" mark and therefore qualify as winter tyres in Countries like Gernamy, where they are compulsory during winter months, yet they are suitable for all-year use and deliver a decent mileage.

Also applies in Germany as well!!! LOL, Hence one reason why I bought Michelin Agilis Camping.

Advice on 'winter' tyres is offered here

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/winter-tyres/laws-and-legislation

The position in Germany is that the type of M+S-marked tyre that qualifies for winter usage is either a genuine 'winter' tyre or an 'all seasons' tyre. Michelin's "Agilis Camping' tyre does not qualify - it's a 'summer' tyre that Michelin has M+S-marked (as is Hankook's Vantra LT RA18 pattern). The difference is mentioned in the footnote on the AA website

"*Check with the tyre supplier if you are in any doubt as some 'M+S' tyres sold in the UK are summer tyres. These would not meet the requirements even though the sidewall marking, ‘M+S’, might suggest that they do."

The Continental tyre company comments on the M+S marking as follows

"The M+S marking is officially defined in an EU directive as meaning: “a tyre with a tread pattern and structure designed to provide better performance in snow than that of a normal tyre”. The performance of “M+S” marked tyres is therefore neither defined nor measured....Even though M+S marked tyres are in some European countries regarded by law as winter tyres, Continental recommends the use of winter tyres with the "Alpine symbol" on the sidewall."

Interesting ! Have the regulations changed ...2010??? Anyway not to worry as Agilis Camping is still very good in snowy conditions I often encounter throughout the year - yes even in summer although maybe only once or twice at the top of places like the Stelvio pass. I assumed wrongly from posts in the past on the forums M+S was ok for Germany in the winter. Missinformation or out of date maybe!!

....and I wish tyre garages would stop saying Agg-ilis and not A(d)gilis...where is the Director of English on the Forums when you need him!!! I need an opinion on this pronounciation.

"Agilis" is a Latin word. Hence the 'g' is hard and the tyre-garages' pronunciation is correct.

The English words "agile" and "agility" (where the 'g' is soft and pronounced like a 'j') are derivations, but "agilis" is not an English word and it would be incorrect to pronounce it as if it were.

Thanks Derek for the explanation, all is very clear now, so will amend how I say Agilis....

...erm....... erm ... Michelin Camping (LOL). We live an learn, I better say it correctly 100 times so I do not say again with a ' J' by accident.

Billggski - 2014-05-04 9:17 PM

But who pronounces "Michelin" as meeshelann?

In the UK I pronounce "Michelin" as 'mitch- a-linn' (otherwise it would not be understood). In France (for the same reason) I pronounce the name as "Meesh-lann".

The pronunciation of "agilis" (or "agile") can be discerned fairly easilly from on-line websites

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/agilis

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/agile

as can French or English pronunciations of "Michelin"

http://www.forvo.com/word/michelin/

I have movced on from this now and do not care today about word..I did first t thing this morning ( Thanks Derek for posts and links) but now I have confrmed my high pressure fuel pump leaks am more concerned on getting it fixed. It was a bit wet looking yesterday when I did my oil drain. It seemed ok though and no drips or leaks that I could see. Started it this morning after filling engine with oil and diesel flooded out of one of the pump cover seals. Stopped engine, tried again and now no fuel leaks out but it is not going anywhere until I change the cambelt and sort the pump.

Billggski - 2014-05-05 3:32 PM

That's a sod, puts pronunciation into perspective.

Good luck.

Feel like a few expletives just now, son's laptop computer has also failed... just off phone to Dell Support and engineer coming Wednesday to repair. This has happened before, Motherboard video driver overheats and requires new motherboard and heat sink. Arrrrrgh agilis agilis agilis..what a good swear word it makes!!!! Problem is my son needs his computer to finish his college computing project which he was working on today. So thats 2 things now, what wil the 3rd be........

LOL Keith...a match it is..but would much rather wrap a spanner around my neighbour's neck.

Think I am going to start a new thread and hope Nick from Euroserv picks it up...have a question or two on the fuel pump I cannot find answers to.

• 1 year later...

Archived