Pisa,sosta or campsite?

davidmac

Hi, off to Italy in a couple of weeks and looking for stopover in Pisa for one or two nights.There is a large sosta at the marina and a campsite 800m from the tower, both look a bit crowded from the available photos, so can anyone recomend either, or somewhere else. Moving on from Pisa to Florence I know that you cannot take motorhomes into the city,so looking for recomendations there also.

Regards David

Stayed at Camping Torre Pendente a few years ago. Fair site, but not outstanding. I see they now claim new sanitary facilities, so maybe I'd now rate it good! Handy for centre of Pisa, which is a nice place to wander around. Haven't seen the sosta.

I think everyone's favourite Florence site was Camping Michelangelo. On hill above the city, but fairly central with good views. If you want to get into almost any gallery you will almost certainly have to pre-book tickets. Definitely true for Ufizzi, and Michelangelo's "sleepers". Most of the campsites could do this. The queues even to pick up the reserved tickets were longish, but those wanting to get in without pre-booking were waiting for hours!

Hi

We visited in May 2011. We pulled into the campsite and drove out again because, although it was almost empty, most of the pitches were unusable, very wet, soft and muddy. So the lesson is don't go if it's been raining. Definetly look before you commit cos I had to argue to get my camping carnet back.

Just down the road there was a sosta on a massive car park less than 5 minutes walk from the leaning tower and the town. It was not crowded, the Mhomes area is fenced off from I the main car park with a guard on the gate where u pay, and it had a dump point and water. We are not usually keen on staying on car parks but this worked well and we spent two nights there.

We found this sosta in the C and C book.

Peter

Archived