AutoTrail reversing camera

Trevor S

I wonder if anyone has had experience of the reversing camera problem I have.

Gradually, over the last few months the view on the drop down monitor has become fainter. At first I thought it was sunlight reflection, but now the view has virtually vanished. It is just possible to see a faint outline so it is working when reverse gear is selected, but so faint it's no use at all.

I was given two recommendations for local auto electricians, but neither wanted to help - too technical.

Is this a common known fault? I don't know whether it is the camera or the wiring.

Or could it be condensation in the camera?

I've read of problems with condensation caused by the camera warming up and cooling down and drawing in damp air through the wiring grommet. Have a close look at the camera case and lens for signs of damp.

Keith.

All good advise above. You can only really proceed by testing each part of the system.

If the monitor has an additional input you can try connecting something like a Camcorder or anything with a composite video output.

The camera is harder to test as it need to be connected to a test monitor.

The cables are usually not a problem but there could well be a switching box hidden behind the dashboard. That also needs to be checked.

Trevor S - 2014-05-22 9:36 PM

I wonder if anyone has had experience of the reversing camera problem I have.

Gradually, over the last few months the view on the drop down monitor has become fainter. At first I thought it was sunlight reflection, but now the view has virtually vanished. It is just possible to see a faint outline so it is working when reverse gear is selected, but so faint it's no use at all.

I was given two recommendations for local auto electricians, but neither wanted to help - too technical.

Is this a common known fault? I don't know whether it is the camera or the wiring.

You say that the view on the drop down monitor is fainter - where is that drop down monitor positioned ? On our Autotrail the camera monitor is part of the entertainment system which is within the dashboard. It could be many things such as the baclklight on the LED display fading, a bad or corroded video signal connection, or even condensation in the camera housing / lens.

Alan

David Dwight - 2014-05-23 8:29 PM

As Alan said the Camera monitor is part of the entertainment system on the dash. How can you see to reverse by using the Drop down monitor?

Until probably a year or so ago AT did not fit a radio with built in screen but instead used the drop down TV (fixed close to the rear view mirror) as the screen for the rear view camera through their 'Obserview' system. This will be the screen the OP is referring to. So the question is does the drop down screen work on the TV and hence is the camera at fault or the screen?

Keith.

Edit And as Trevor's AT is a Miami it is probably circa 2006 to 2008 at an educated guess.

Thanks for replies guys,

Yes Keith is quite right , Miami is 2007 model on a Renault chassis. This model was superceded and the equivalent current model is the Savannah. And the drop down screen is linked in the system as a monitor for the TV, DVD and the reversing camera when reverse gear is engaged.

I think its the actual camera that's failing. The monitor is OK for the TV and DVD.

A bit of detective work in the last couple of days has revealed that the components for this were supplied to AT by a company called SCS components. So I shall be contacting them after the Bank Holiday to see if they recognise the symptoms as a known fault. Replacing the camera should be a reasonably easy job (says he in hope).

Tracing wiring faults can be a pain.

For anyone with a similar age AT, it may be worth keeping a note of the name SCS components.

Of to France in June, so hope to get it fixed before then.

Trevor

On the Sargent Electrical website they state:-

"For support on Auto-Trail entertainment equipment pre 2009 please contact SCS Components on 01924 893656."

Just in case you didn't have a number for them.

Alan

Archived