Underseal Waxtol PVC?

Colin Leake

We are seriously thinking of downsizing to a PVC. Given that the Fait vans are galvanised do we need to consider having out van undersealed or given the Waxtol treatment. One problem with the later is that they do recommend using the conversion for some four weeks after the treatment has been applied. Any thoughts any one. May be a question for Mr Euroserve.

Colin Leake - 2014-05-29 7:14 PM

We are seriously thinking of downsizing to a PVC. Given that the Fait vans are galvanised do we need to consider having out van undersealed or given the Waxtol treatment. One problem with the later is that they do recommend using the conversion for some four weeks after the treatment has been applied. Any thoughts any one. May be a question for Mr Euroserve.

My 4 year old PVC is very well protected and the underside looks like new. I cannot see why waxoiling will be necessary.

The vans are galvanized and on underside they already have another underseal type coating, the area which seems to get most corrosion is the ali engine and gearbox. On my older Suzi the engine is so oil tight the sump pan rusted throu from outside, Those where the good old days when the engines leaked oil and kept the rust at bay :D

Colin,

I can't quote for Fiat but Al-Ko say the following in the care instructions for their galvanised chassis...

"The galvanised chassis should not be painted or subjected to any other protective treatment."

Quoted from here... Link. There are other useful bits of info in those instructions for the care of galvanised chassis as well.

Keith.

All zinc coating is not the same. That used for vehicle bodies has to be suitable for welding and later protection by a coat of paint. For commercial vehicles it is likely to be intended for the the typical life expectancy of about ten years and perhaps a bit longer for cars.

Around the mid 80s vehicle rust prevention improved in leaps and bounds. Better drainage and ventilation of box sections, zinc coating, improved paint films etc were just factors. As a result it is mechanical wear and tear that now usually leads to a vehicles scrapping rather than big holes in its structure.

At a guess the Al-Ko chassis that is rolled and bolted rather than welded together is intended to last a bit longer on its own without a coating of paint. Bear in mind there is less chance of it being on the road in all weathers in a leisure vehicle.

Thank you all for your response. Confirms my feeing that if we only keep the vehicle for our normal 5 years or so no additional protection will be required. Shan't be bothering with a paint protection system either. A good quality polish applied in the Spring and Autum should do the trick.

Thank you all for your response. Confirms my feeing that if we only keep the vehicle for our normal 5 years or so no additional protection will be required. Shan't be bothering with a paint protection system either. A good quality polish applied in the Spring and Autum should do the trick.

Drove past a x2/50 van today that was showing extreme paint peeling on the bonnet and sides, didn't have time to stop and learn more but it did remind me of the problems ford had some years back with silver paint (this one was dark blue)

Archived