Double glazed window

Poursay

Hi I have a Swift Kontiki 645 ,2006. I have just noticed that one of the double glazed side windows is coming apart ie. the outer from the inner, along the bottom.

Can I use any glue to stick the 2 halves together?

On the window is a sign saying " V-x/B poly plastic. Roxite PMMA ,43R-001745,0602 Holland"

The glue that I have says not to be used on " PE,PP and PTFE".

If not suitable, any suggestions welcome.

Regards

Poursay

Poursay,

Polyplastic windows de-laminating is a common failure, try Googling a similar phrase and see what turns up!

Some manufacturers actually issued a recall as the problem was so widespread but I'm not sure if Swift did.

I don't think you will be successful with glueing, the quick fix issued by polyplastic was to drill and bolt the 4 corners with plastic nuts and bolts. Not a very pretty fix IMO.

Keith.

Hi I had this recently on my bessacarr. Sister model to yours, on the bathroom window. I re sealed it with a thin bead of Glossy Accents, available from craft stores such as Hobbycraft. I used this because it dries clear and is almost inert. I have used it before to glue a lens on a car light, so I know it lasts.

I held the two parts together with washing pegs to ensure it didn't move while it dried.

Unfortunately it came apart again - this is because it had bonded to the outer pane and to the black printed dotted layer, which came away from the inner pane. So I re sealed it. Effectively sealing both the inner and outer panes with the black dotted printed layer sandwiched in between. I hope this makes sense.

Anyway, it had been ok ever since. Glossy Accents is about £5 a bottle and comes with a very fine nozzle. You will only use a tiny amount and it comes in handy for so many uses. Good luck!

PMMA can be joined using cyanoacrylate cement (commonly known as superglue), with heat (welding), or by using solvents such as di- or trichloromethane[14] to dissolve the plastic at the joint, which then fuses and sets, forming an almost invisible weld. Scratches may easily be removed by polishing or by heating the surface of the material.

When doing project work with acylic "Perspex" I used Tensol cement.

Hi guys

Thanks for info,particularly Keith. I didn't realise that this is a common problem!

However, I have had some advice from Richard at Bondrite and have ordered some "glue " from him.

Will advise how it goes.

Mike

Archived