Extra seat belts ?

Michaelc

Hi, iam new to this site and the motorhome scene, we have just purchased a Kentucky Estro 9 , the motorhome comes with 2no seat belts fitted to the forward facing seats in the back, would anyone know if it would be possible to fit seat belts to the rear facing seats in the back as we would wish to carry another 2 passengers ? Many thanks in advance Michael

If it has pre fitted anchor points (strengthened for the purpose) I would say yes.  if no pre existing points then IMO I would say no.  Other more enlightened members will no doubt be along at some point to offer advice.

Along similar lines to roger, the fitting of seat belts to newer MH's have to comply to regs, not sure what these are for rear facing seats, but I would expect amongst other things a suitable head restraint to prevent whiplash and a steel frame built into the seat for the lower attachments, in the 'good old days' a couple of lap straps was sometimes the best you got, if anything.

Having a nosey at the website for manufacturer, I noticed this is a good sized van built on a Daily chassis, but the GVW is only quoted at 3.5t, there appears to be no MIRO or capacity quoted, this rings all sorts of alarm bells with me, as unless the GVW is uprated I would expect it to have no capacity for carrying six.

I've just found a review on OAL... Link and Payload is quoted as 400 kg so not great for a large MH! You would need to visit a weighbridge in fully laden touring condition to ascertain true weights to see if it was at all possible. And check individual axle weights as well as overall weight!

And agree with previous posts, additional seat belts would have to be certified to comply with 'designated travel seat' requirements.

All in all probably not a good idea.

Keith.

Keithl - 2014-06-23 5:21 PMI've just found a review on OAL... Link and Payload is quoted as 400 kg so not great for a large MH! You would need to visit a weighbridge in fully laden touring condition to ascertain true weights to see if it was at all possible. And check individual axle weights as well as overall weight!And agree with previous posts, additional seat belts would have to be certified to comply with 'designated travel seat' requirements.All in all probably not a good idea.Keith.

That 400kg is for the 3500kg plating.  The Estro 9 is shown on other sites as being 4600kgs on a Merc chassis so if the OP can post which base vehicle his is then the info can be more targeted.  The Merc chassis is shown as having 6 certified seats so if it is a Merc there will/should be belt fixings in place.

Archived