Rear U lounge with seat belts

JohnSue - 2014-07-12 10:18 AM

I've just come across a Geist Spirit 598 which has seat belts in the lounge. Are there other MH's out there with that design ?

John (?)

Two, No actually Three questions...

First, are they original fitment or has someone added them at a later date?

Second, are they full 3 point lap and diagonal or lap only?

If they are late addition lap only I would be very wary of how they have been fitted.

Third, are they fitted to forward or side facing seats?

Keith.

Saw a rear lounge N&B Arto once with 2 forward facing belted seats on the rear bench.

Personally I wouldn't even consider letting any of my nearest and dearest sit in a rear lounge underway, belts or no belts. Coachbuilt bodies have near zero crash resistance; one decent rear end impact from an HGV and it would be goodnight Vienna.

Guest JudgeMental
Steve928 - 2014-07-12 4:23 P

Personally I wouldn't even consider letting any of my nearest and dearest sit in a rear lounge underway, belts or no belts. Coachbuilt bodies have near zero crash resistance; one decent rear end impact from an HGV and it would be goodnight Vienna.

My feelings exactly! Absolutely mind boggling....

Steve928 - 2014-07-12 4:23 PM

Saw a rear lounge N&B Arto once with 2 forward facing belted seats on the rear bench.

That's a really good point which I hadn't considered. Our coacbuilt has a dinette with 2 forward facing travel seats. With seatbelts of course, but presumably a side on hit, at a crossroads for example, could have terrible consequences.

We've carried our daughter and friend, won't be doing it again now.

Keithl - 2014-07-12 2:12 PM

JohnSue - 2014-07-12 10:18 AM

I've just come across a Geist Spirit 598 which has seat belts in the lounge. Are there other MH's out there with that design ?

John (?)

Two, No actually Three questions...

First, are they original fitment or has someone added them at a later date?

Second, are they full 3 point lap and diagonal or lap only?

If they are late addition lap only I would be very wary of how they have been fitted.

Third, are they fitted to forward or side facing seats?

Keith.

Hi Keith,

They appear to be original (i've seen two examples with identical set ups).

They are 3 point belts.

They are fitted to the forward facing part of the lounge.

Another very valid point was made about safety, something I WAS thinking about hence the question. Maybe there are slightly different layouts which may be better. The other point about passengers sitting at dinettes is fair as well but not quite the same as sitting at the back. If people didn't sit at dinettes every MH would be just a 2 person MH.

The van is on the Springfield Motorhomes site. It certainly looks good but ........

Thanks

Jon

The other point about passengers sitting at dinettes is fair as well but not quite the same as sitting at the back. If people didn't sit at dinettes every MH would be just a 2 person MH.

Jon

Not quite Jon. There are a lot of motorhomes that provide sleeping places for more people than they can legally carry as passengers on the move. Possibly on the basis that a MH and a car travel in convoy, then when sited they all sleep in the MH, and tootle about in the car?

I would think that as the rear of the U lounge must overhang the rear wheels it would make for a very uncomfortable ride as the pivot action caused by the rear axle will cause the overhang to move in the opposite direction when turning the more the overhang the more violent the movement. All passengers within the wheelbase will not feel this action. John :-S

candapack - 2014-07-12 6:54 PM

There are a lot of motorhomes that provide sleeping places for more people than they can legally carry as passengers on the move. Possibly on the basis that a MH and a car travel in convoy, then when sited they all sleep in the MH, and tootle about in the car?

Really?

I always thought it was because they did not give a toss about how people other than the those in the two cab seats, which are of course belted and tested, travel or they 'cannot afford' to go the the trouble and expense to fit and crash test rear belts for a possible limited market of buyers that would actually want them and use them!

Steve928 - 2014-07-12 4:23 PM

The latest MMM has a test on a Frankia. The belted seats in the back are rear facing.

Wonderful

The passengers will be able to see the HGV coming into them .

HWO

Tracker - 2014-07-12 7:37 PM

There are a lot of motorhomes that provide sleeping places for more people than they can legally carry as passengers on the move. Possibly on the basis that a MH and a car travel in convoy, then when sited they all sleep in the MH, and tootle about in the car?

Really?

I always thought it was because they did not give a toss about how people other than the those in the two cab seats, which are of course belted and tested, travel or they 'cannot afford' to go the the trouble and expense to fit and crash test rear belts for a possible limited market of buyers that would actually want them and use them!

Cynical.

Yet strangely believable.

Had a look at the van on net. Where do 2 people or even 1 , put thier feet? OK for young kids I would have thought. It looks as if you would be sitting on the seat belt points??, also noticed the table was stored on the over bed, a sharp stop and it could come crashing down?, sorry don't think this a good layout at all.

Have to say that for long touring the over head bed is good for storage, if not for sleeping

PJay

The other point about passengers sitting at dinettes is fair as well but not quite the same as sitting at the back. If people didn't sit at dinettes every MH would be just a 2 person MH.

Jon

Not quite Jon. There are a lot of motorhomes that provide sleeping places for more people than they can legally carry as passengers on the move. Possibly on the basis that a MH and a car travel in convoy, then when sited they all sleep in the MH, and tootle about in the car?

Chris, you're right of course about numbers of belts/bunks not matching in many motorhomes. But my point is that there are thousands of MH's around that have rear dinette belts like our current van and, within those thousands, many couples with children. And those children end up sitting at the dinette. There's no choice other than for you or your wife to drive the kids in the car while the van is driven solo. Then you may as well have a caravan.

On the other hand, if an artic decides to drive into your rear end while you're driving a car it's not much different from if you're sitting in the lounge of a MH. You're still dead.

I think it's best not to travel at all.

:-)

Guest JudgeMental

My wife just won her case Friday that the HGV driver contested ( buses and lorries worse case scenario for an insurance settlement!) she was side swiped by a HGV a very scary experience on rear quarter of her fiesta, demolishing the rear door, a foot forward and she could have been dead *-)

this has taken over six months.... only folded when proceedings issued against them. and court case looming. You cant argue against photos! take as many from different angles as possible. even though she was trapped in car she had the forsight to give her phone to someone to take lots of snaps...

panel vans have to be safer, cant count the number of caravans I have seen flat packed over the years and campers not much better constructed.....

Archived