OBD2 Fault codes

Tracker

The last trip to Brittany the van (Peugeot 2.2 hdi Euro 4) ran faultlessly with no hiccups or warning lights until, on the way home, I stalled the engine by being in the wrong gear at traffic lights.

It restarted instantly but ran a bit rough, plus power and revs were very limited, and - joy of joys - the engine management warning light came on.

The light remained on all the way home, some 50 miles, but the engine power returned to normal running after about a mile.

I plugged in my shiny new OBD2 fault code reader and read codes P0094 and P0093 which are large fuel leak and small fuel leak codes.

I read, noted then erased the codes, which was very easy, and the EML went out when I restarted the engine.

It runs and drives as normal so is this a phantom fault code caused by stalling the engine or is there a real problem?

There are no obvious signs or smells of any fuel leaks under the bonnet or under the van and fuel consumption has not worsened over the 50 miles.

By the way the fault code reader I have is this one and it has now lives in the van having become the latest must have gadget in the ongoing battle against the unpredictable nature of modern diesel engines.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mbuynow-MaxiScan-MS309-Scanner-Reader/dp/B00F3V9MYG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406803918&sr=8-1&keywords=obdii+code+reader

Does anyone else have any experience of this fault or phantom fault codes please?

Tracker - 2014-07-31 11:57 AM

Does anyone else have any experience of this fault or phantom fault codes please?

Yes, had almost the same thing once with the 2.2 100.

Reserved out with cold engine onto a track, went to catch it with first gear but didn't use enough revs and, bang, stalled it.

Restarting left the EML light on (something to do with fuel, could well have been P0093) but it was running just fine in my case.

I expected the light to clear but it didn't so I erased it at the next stop using, coincidentally, the self same reader.

It never re-occurred in 8000 miles, including a couple of stalls..

I would think its just a phantom error.

I too have a code reader and have experienced spurious error codes on mondeo and kuga, nothing yet on citroen hence prob never have another ford.

I would not worry about it the eml would have come on again if there was a real fault.

Thanks - I did see that before I bought.

But Fleabay sometimes comes without the cast iron guarantee that does come with anything you buy via Amazon!

Price is not everything - vfm and peace of mind are well worth a couple of quid to me!!

Stupid question time (or maybe second stupid question time) do all these fault code readers do the same thing?

They can read fault codes from any post-2002 vehicle because the vehicle manufacturers were told to standardise - is that correct?

So is there any difference in quality or type, for purposes of buying one?

I had a very similar experience with the 2.2cc engine in our Adria Twin (2007). I was parking in a very tight area with a couple of inconsiderate drivers near me and to cut it short I managed to stall the ‘van and hence restart it, twice in about 10 seconds.

On both restarts there was no power at all. I turned off the ignition waited about 30 seconds – the ‘van then started and I parked successfully and turned off the ignition.

However on the subsequent restart about 45 minutes later the engine warning light was on, but as all seemed normal I drove the 5 miles home. The light stayed with me for the next two days and then disappeared.

There has been no reoccurrence of the incident.

My wife says “By stalling and restarting twice so quickly, you confused the computer. Waiting the 30 seconds allowed it to sort itself out.” I think I agree with her.

Cattwg :-D

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-07-31 6:26 PM

pelmetman - 2014-07-31 6:24 PM

Wots a fault code? >:-)................

It's that bit of genetic mutation that made you the way you are!!

Really :D.................I must get one of these gizmo's to find out what faults I've got :-S.................where do I plug it in? ;-).................second thoughts I can guess (lol) (lol) (lol).........

StuartO - 2014-07-31 6:30 PM

Stupid question time (or maybe second stupid question time) do all these fault code readers do the same thing?

They can read fault codes from any post-2002 vehicle because the vehicle manufacturers were told to standardise - is that correct?

So is there any difference in quality or type, for purposes of buying one?

Not stupid at all!

I suspect that unless you have owned or used more than one of these devices you won't know which is better / best?

Mine was recommended by a friend and on the one vehicle I have tried it works as it should.

My brother who is something of a computer clever clogs had one of the wireless types that is supposed to communicate with your ipad / android / smart phone - but it never did work properly and was a PITA to set up.

Maybe if you were using it daily or for business use a more robust - ie expensive - version might be better - but I really don't know!!

Yes the fault codes for most faults are now generic and listed in the instruction book but I believe that some makers who like you to spend your money in their workshops use model specific codes. I know Jaguar used to pre 2002 but I don't know about now.

I understand that most maker's own diagnostics impart a lot more information which is only useful if, a, you need it and, b, know how to interpret and use it - I don't!!

So I reckon for the sake of a few quid to chuck it in the van when we go away makes sense and it has already saved me more than it's cost - as long as the fault codes don't return! But if they do I will be more inclined to suspect that there is a real fault rather than simply 'computer says no'!

ips - 2014-07-31 7:43 PM

There are some vehicles that they will not work on as mfrs have put a block on the software unless its there own reader, mine wont work on my bros nissan x trail

By law the vehicle manufacturers cannot 'put a block on' the basic OBD functions readable by standard devices: EOBD has been mandatory on all new car designs on the European market since 2000 (diesels since 2004).

Well it don't work on my bros x trail and I am sure I read somewere that certain makes need a mfr code reader or software or summat.

edit

this is from a code reader web site....

A basic code reader is low cost and will read the engine codes and erase them. This is often all you need if you just want to know the codes to keep your mechanic accountable or perhaps do your own basic repair. They are identifiable by the fact they usually only have 2 buttons.

*Pitfalls! The low cost readers have the most compatibility issues. They are designed to work on the most common models and don't have the programming to cover all protocols from all car manufacturers. From our experience, about 98% of the low cost readers we sell work fine. The other 2% experience incompatibility. It is recommended that you check your vehicles protocol as explained below before buying a low cost unit.

Hi, I wouldn't have thought these were phantom codes, as i would suspect when the engine stalled there proberly was a discharge of un-burnt fuel possible both ways e.g. back towards the air inlet and also into the exhaust and that was proberly what the sensors picked up, thus giving the fault readings. but after restarting a few times the un-burnt fuel cleared and problem solved. just my opinion I'm no expert.

ips - 2014-08-01 11:08 AM

Well it don't work on my bros x trail and I am sure I read somewere that certain makes need a mfr code reader or software or summat.

edit

this is from a code reader web site....

A basic code reader is low cost and will read the engine codes and erase them. This is often all you need if you just want to know the codes to keep your mechanic accountable or perhaps do your own basic repair. They are identifiable by the fact they usually only have 2 buttons.

*Pitfalls! The low cost readers have the most compatibility issues. They are designed to work on the most common models and don't have the programming to cover all protocols from all car manufacturers. From our experience, about 98% of the low cost readers we sell work fine. The other 2% experience incompatibility. It is recommended that you check your vehicles protocol as explained below before buying a low cost unit.

That soinds useful to know - but what about the "as explained below" bit?

Taken from same web site, its a US site but presumably its relevant ............

Step 2. Avoid compatibility issues. Find your vehicles OBD2 Protocol?

If you are buying a 'universal type' or a 'low cost' scanner, check your vehicle to see what 'OBD2 protocol' it uses. If a scanner we sell does not read all protocols, we will state what protocols it reads right in the items description.

To find out what protocol your vehicle uses, check for a label under the hood.

You can also look up your vehicle here: OBD2 Protocols by vehicle make and model.

...or check your vehicles diagnostic connector:

OBD2Plug.gif

Where is my vehicles Diagnostic Connector? Click here.

Your vehicle uses 1 of 5 possible protocols:

J1850 PWM - The connector must have pins 2, 4, 5, 10, and 16.

J1850 VPW - The connector must have pins 2, 4, 5, and 16, but not 10.

ISO 9141-2 - The connector must have pins 4, 5, 7, and 16.

ISO 14230-4 (KWP2000) - The connector must have pins 4, 5, 7, and 16.

CAN-BUS (J1939 & ISO15765-4) - The connector must have pins 4, 5, 6, 14 and 16.

Step 3. Go to our 'Auto Scanners' page.

At the top, are links to narrow down the choices by vehicle make. For example; 'Universal' is for scanners that work on more than one make of vehicle. 'BMW' is for scanners that work on BMW models.

*Don't get stuck with a NON-CAN-BUS reader if your vehicle is CAN-BUS.

Starting with model year 2003, some vehicle makes and models started using a new type of OBD2 called CAN-BUS. All vehicles 2008 and newer use CAN-BUS. A small group of readers we sell do not work on CAN-BUS and state this in the items description. They are designed for the older models without CAN-BUS. Better to be safe than sorry, check your vehicles protocol as explained in step 2.

Ive had a wireless OBD2 scanner for a while it it connects to my smartphone or tablet by bluetooth , quite interesting to see some of the readouts , and it does get shut of some warning lights and erases codes , but i think we should perhaps flag up these phantom signs and get them checked at service time just in case .

A friend of mine had two OBD2 readers and we used both on my Fiat=based 2006 (non-CAMBUS) Hymer when I had a problem. One was the transmitter type which worked with his smartphone (on his car) but wouldn't work on my MH or with my smartphone - goodness knows why.

However his other OBD2 reader, of the self-contained type, did seem to work on my MH but found no fault codes.

We eventually diagnosed the fault as a blow fuse (brake light not working) and replacing this fuse also cured a puzzling cruise control problem I'd had for a while, although goodness knows why.

I supose having a code reader which can find fault codes if there are any, and give you some indication of what th code means (eg fuel system leak or whatever) might be useful and at under £15 they are hardly a major investment. But will it actually ever be useful and is it worth the space and weight in the MH, even though it's only relatively light?

I'm about to re-assess my MH loading to cut down on weight, so I'll buy one to have in the garage but may not carry it on board all the time.

StuartO - 2014-08-02 12:15 PM

I suppose having a code reader which can find fault codes if there are any, and give you some indication of what the code means (eg fuel system leak or whatever) might be useful and at under £15 they are hardly a major investment. But will it actually ever be useful and is it worth the space and weight in the MH, even though it's only relatively light?

I'm about to re-assess my MH loading to cut down on weight, so I'll buy one to have in the garage but may not carry it on board all the time.

Fair comment, but as the only time you are ever likely to need the device is when you are away from home I would rather make space for it and hope I never need it again.

sshortcircuit - 2014-08-02 1:02 PM

Took delivery of reader this morning and all appears good. What fault can I create to see if it picks up just to test? :-D

Try stalling the engine a couple of times - usually works for us!

Or disconnect a sensor or two?

Archived