OBD2 Fault codes

Tracker

Well yes and no. Created two faults and ran test. Test indicated "Codes Found 2". Then went to read codes and got "No codes stored ?????" so was unable to see what was found. Then managed to erase codes.

It appears that it is working but possibly I am missing some thing. Will persevere

Interesting?

I had not noticed before you said Michael, but although ordered as an MS309 mine is an MS300 which I guess is even older!

But as it reads and deletes OK on my van and reads on our fault free cars I'm not too worried about it being out of date at that price and if/when we change vehicles and if it does not work on the new ones if needed then I'll buy another one!

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2014-08-04 10:13 AM

Interesting?

I had not noticed before you said Michael, but although ordered as an MS309 mine is an MS300 which I guess is even older!

But as it reads and deletes OK on my van and reads on our fault free cars I'm not too worried about it being out of date at that price and if/when we change vehicles and if it does not work on the new ones if needed then I'll buy another one!

B-) Thanks for the tip. I'll send for one as my Citroen Relay Euro 4 2.2L 120hp should be the same. Would I be tempting fate by asking where you plug it in *-)

Guest Peter James
sshortcircuit - 2014-08-04 8:25 AM

Received a reply from manufacturer

"MS309, which is an old product, has already been discontinued for a long time, therefore we are not able to provide further update and support."

Have now returned it to Amazon

Looking on other forums it seems this manufacturer has a habit of bringing out new models and discontinuing support for the old ones. I guess thats why they are being sold off so cheap. But when you are in trouble a long way from home they might give you a clue whats wrong, so worth having in my opinion.

Peter James - 2014-08-04 10:17 PM

Would I be tempting fate by asking where you plug it in *-)

Not as much as I would by saying if you need to ask it probably isn't for you (lol)

Hint - Try the OBD2 socket.

The first time you use it to read and clear you immediately save more than it cost to buy and if the fault appears again you then know you might have to take it seriously after all but at least you will have a clue about where to start looking and finding out how to rectify.

Same as with a digital multimeter in my view, for basic fault finding it's not worth not having one - as long as you know how to use it!

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2014-08-05 9:32 AM

Peter James - 2014-08-04 10:17 PM

Would I be tempting fate by asking where you plug it in *-)

Not as much as I would by saying if you need to ask it probably isn't for you (lol)

The first time you use it to read and clear you immediately save more than it cost to buy and if the fault appears again you then know you might have to take it seriously after all but at least you will have a clue about where to start looking and finding out how to rectify.

Same as with a digital multimeter in my view, for basic fault finding it's not worth not having one - as long as you know how to use it!

Just curious ;-)................As I have no need of such a gizmo :D...................But seeing as further up thread they saying a particular reader is out of date?..........

Are they age specific?................ie if you bought the latest version would they still work on an earlier vehicle?.............As sometimes manufactures latest software is incompatible with older in my experience of gadgets :-|................

Guest Peter James

Yeah I get that. Just thought it might be quicker to ask where the socket is than look for it. All I have noticed is a USB socket inside the central storage box but I think thats bluetooth?

Peter James - 2014-08-05 10:37 AM

Yeah I get that. Just thought it might be quicker to ask where the socket is than look for it. All I have noticed is a USB socket inside the central storage box but I think thats bluetooth?

Sorry!

It's behind a small cover held on by two screws to the right and slightly below the steering wheel - well it is on mine!

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2014-08-05 10:23 AM

Just curious ;-)................As I have no need of such a gizmo :D...................But seeing as further up thread they saying a particular reader is out of date?..........

I think thats just the Windows XP I am using on my desktop PC now is 'out of date' and no longer supported with updates by the manufacturer. But I still prefer it to the Windows 7 on my notebook.

Peter James - 2014-08-05 10:40 AM

I think thats just the Windows XP I am using on my desktop PC now is 'out of date' and no longer supported with updates by the manufacturer. But I still prefer it to the Windows 7 on my notebook

So do I - but I've got used to Win7 now and it's not so bad after all!

If you think Win 7 is not so nice just wait until you try Win 8 - it's horrible!

Progress eh - doncha just luv it!!

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2014-08-05 10:39 AM

Peter James - 2014-08-05 10:37 AM

Sorry!

It's behind a small cover held on by two screws to the right and slightly below the steering wheel - well it is on mine!

Got it Thanks :-D

Not easy to see it under the fusebox. I have looked in there to check fuses and not noticed it before :$

I used to make a living as a motor mechanic, but that was in the days before everything was run by computers. So I would rather break down with a 25 year old Van like Pelmetmans because I feel more confident of being able to fix it :$ But if this thing gives me a clue its well worth having so I've just sent for one :-D

Tried the MS300 today and it is now being returned. On the Fiat it did absolutely nothing. On the Peugeot it identified the faults, in code. For the same money the MS309 was the better buy as it provided descriptors rather than referring to a code list.

Back to square one.

Guest Peter James
Ordered my MS300 on ebay yesterday and it arrived today. I was expecting a lot of fault codes as I have had problems with a sticking EGR valve and just blocked it off. But after a scan through it shows 'no codes'. But I have disconnected the battery since the faults occurred so maybe that cleared them? I scrolled through to see if it would bring up the vehicle's VIN number but it says 'not support'. Anyway looks like it might be useful so will keep in the van. I will be happy to have wasted £11 if its because I never need to use it :-D

Guest Peter James
sshortcircuit - 2014-08-06 4:38 PM

Tried the MS300 today and it is now being returned. On the Fiat it did absolutely nothing. On the Peugeot it identified the faults, in code. For the same money the MS309 was the better buy as it provided descriptors rather than referring to a code list.

Back to square one.

My MS300 arrived with a book of instructions and list of codes, and a mini CD which installs a programme that just tells you the codes that you can also read in the book. But it looks like you need to check out the codes on the internet anyway as they are only a suggestion of what the problem might be.

PS: My van is 2008 manufactured (X2/50) Citroen Relay 2.2litre 120hp (Euro 4)

Guest Peter James
Peter James - 2014-08-06 8:26 PM

I scrolled through to see if it would bring up the ((X2/50) Citroen Relay 2.2litre 120hp (Euro 4) VIN number but it says 'not support'.

PS: just tried it on the car, a Suzuki Wagon R, and it brings up the VIN number on that no problem

Guest Peter James
Tracker - 2014-08-07 10:46 AM

Sorry - but why would you need to look up the VIN on a fault reader - it's already on the van and the V5 - just as long as the two are identical!

I just did it to test the fault reader. I think others do it to check the vehicle hasn't been stolen and given a fake VIN?

Archived