Gas bottle?

Pete-B

Guest pelmetman

I carry a Spanish Repsol bottle back and forwards to Spain in a trailer, admittedly its kept upright,though I'm not sure what difference being on its side would make? :-S..............

If the valve is dodgy I doubt being on its side would make much difference :D........plus if it were to go bang............I'd rather it go bang in the trailer than in the camper 8-)...................

Hi Pete - All Gas Cylinders should be stored / transported Upright. It would be prudent to have a "gas drop" in the trailer in case of leakage i.e. as in the Motorhome. Think in terms of a Caravan being a trailer, so you are only doing the same as any caravanner.

Guest pelmetman

I bow to John's (Flicka) industrial knowledge ;-).............Still curious why it needs to be upright though? :-S.............If a valve leaks it will surely leak whether its upright or not? ;-)............

Guest Peter James
pelmetman - 2014-09-18 8:02 PM

I bow to John's (Flicka) industrial knowledge ;-).............Still curious why it needs to be upright though? :-S.............If a valve leaks it will surely leak whether its upright or not? ;-)............

Yes but if its upright it will only leak gas, if its on its side it will probably leak liquid gas - so a far bigger volume of gas from the same size hole.

pelmetman - 2014-09-18 8:02 PM

.............Still curious why it needs to be upright though? :-S.............If a valve leaks it will surely leak whether its upright or not? ;-)............

If a cylinder leaks when upright then it should only leak vaporised gas whereas if it leaks when on it's side there is a very high chance of it leaking liquefied gas.

This 'liquid gas' will immediately vaporise at the rate of approximately 1 : 200. In other words every 1 litre of 'liquid gas' will instantly become 200 litres of vaporised gas!

Now which would you rather have leaking in your trailer?

Keith.

Edit. Damn! Crossed posts with Peter.

Advice from Flogas is here (but it should be noted that it does not directly apply to Pete-B’s requirement)

http://www.flogas.co.uk/142/transport-of-lpg-cylinders

There’s also a (fairly) relevant discussion here

http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/community/discussions/technical-and-advice/caravans/transporting-gas-cylinders---safely/rt/289909/

I’m doubtful that there is a clear UK legal imperative demanding that a private person transporting an LPG cylinder for personal or domestic use MUST carry the cylinder upright. However, there are persuasive reasons for transporting the cylinder upright and it is considered best practice.

In Pete-B’s case, if it’s genuinely impracticable to transport the cylinder upright in the trailer, then securing it horizontally seems unavoidable. Can’t say doing this would worry me much as far as carrying the bottle while driving is concerned, but carrying ‘loose’ LPG bottles (upright or horizontal) might not be looked on with favour by ferry companies or Eurotunnel.

Archived