Calorlite recall

pepe63xnotuse

I have two cylinders manufactured 2008! have just spoken to our local dealer and they were aware of the recall but have no spare cylinders to exchange and will keep me advised of proceedings!. I can see a monster foul up coming where there will not be enough cylinders in the system to replace the ones that are due for recall. I hope that the Magazine will print the recall notice in due course.

paulmold - 2014-09-20 9:01 AM

The shortage could possibly have been caused by them stockpiling knowing this recall was going to happen....

If that was the case, then they must have known about this issue for years.. because 'lites have always been a bit hit'n'miss when it came to availability.

Although I dare say, any "shortages" probably aren't helped by folk stockpiling their half used ones behind their , when they've switched to "refillables".. ;-)

Just been into a local garage which sell calorlite and they no nothing about a recall of these cylinders, even tho the delivery driver was in early on Friday. I would put a bet on it that dated cylinders that are checked out ok are going to become as rare as rocking horse manure, it is hard to get hold of them even now.

Took my two-one empty and the other full- into our local calor centre in Peterborough this morning and they changed them for two full ones, no questions.

Whilst there I asked the guy what the problem was with them. He said it's got nothing to do with leaks or anything like that. On a very few they found some light rust around the base at a critical point and decided to do a recall but to his knowledge there has been no recorded incidents.

Ever since we have had the last tank of gas in use we could smell gas when we used it. Got so concerned we had the van checked for a gas leak but nothing was found. Now wondering if it was this tank of gas as it was one that came under the recall. The tank itself looked fine, no sign of rust. Anyway, we have exchanged it this morning and wont know until we start using the new one if it was the tank or whether we really do have a problem!!

Thanks for posting the recall notice.

Just changed 2 calor lite's this morning at my local Calor gas distribution centre, all went well but at first the guy said that one cylinder was empty and it did not work with me getting a full one in exchange. I mentioned the Calor website rules and he accepted that.

So with so many dealer outlets/garages not being aware [ I got blank looks from 4 outlets ] I have found The Calor helpline telephone so that forum members who get ( blank looks) or (we are not aware of recalls) can ask the dealer to ring the Calor helpline who will tell the dealer to exchange the cylinder for a full one.

Tel 0800 783 4141.

Above re helpline is correct as I rang them myself to ensure accuracy of the post.

mike

I have 3 lites, only one falls into the recall. My Calor main dealer didn't know anything about the recall. (23rd Sept) Communication isn't their forte is it? He begrudgingly changed it after a while.

Also only had two in stock, he said that there has always been a shortage as Calor didn't manufacture enough...even less with this recall, good job it's end of season.

To the best of my knowledge it’s always been the case that only a relatively small number of Calor retail agents have stocked the Calor Lite cylinder. For example, there are quite a few Calor agents within a couple of miles of my home, but the nearest stockist of Calor Lite cylinders is 15 miles away.

As Flicka says, it’s possible to identify Calor Lite stockists via the Calor website

https://www.calor.co.uk/find-a-stockist

I note that Calor’s advice says

"Calor Gas Ltd is issuing a product recall with immediate effect on all 6kg CalorLite® cylinders manufactured between 2008-2011 inclusive. All such cylinders must be returned to a local CalorLite® stockist immediately.”

The implication is that only Calor Lite stockists will participate in the recall, and may explain why mike 202 discovered that many Calor agents were unaware of it. Agents who are not Calor Lite stockists will (presumably) not be in a position to exchange cylinders involved in the recall.

I used the link given on Calor's recall page to search for my nearest Lite stockist and gave them a call.

They knew nothing of the recall, but once alerted to it they then checked their stock of Lite bottles. All were found to be subject to the recall and were of course still on sale before I called them, so it does appear that Calor could have better communicated with their own stockists regarding this issue.

By contrast the next-nearest stockist was on the ball and already had a dozen or so bottles taken in exchange under the recall.

Archived