New on here

Dave C

Hello everyone

I'm new on here, picking up our van next week. Having had a narrowboat for 11 years, and before that a small camper van for several years I am au fait with things like batteries (the boat had more than our van will have) and I'm used to emptying cassettes!

I'm sure I will have plenty of questions as time moves long - like which "club" is the best for starters, which I know there is a thread about on these boards, but for now it's just "hello" from me.

Dave

As yet no one has answered your first question, which "club" to join, they are both much of a muchness, though the CCC has the advantage of discounts for older folk. But if you have never done so I would urge you to discover at the earliest opportunity the comparative freedom to roam just across the English channel, no clubs required, anyway !enjoy your newly acquired van wherever you go.

I know you have not actually asked the question, as such, but if camping in UK I guess either cc or ccc, would do.If you intend to use abroad, probably the CC would be better IMO. We no longer belong as we only use van abroad, and did not get any benefit from CC membership I would look on both web sites, then maybe you can see which would fit you requirements

You will get for and against both clubs on here!!

Happy camping which ever way you go

PJay

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Huddersfield - well last time I went there was by narrowboat, took about six weeks to get there from Devizes but great fun, especially Standedge tunnel!

I note someone said "unusual" regarding our van - I would like to know how many such vans were built - how can I find that info?

Don't think we will be going "foreign" but may venture to the IoM (which we know quite well) or even to the emerald isle.

Roll on Friday when we get the van.

Cheers

Dave

Very few Iveco based motorhomes are built because it is a heavy duty, ladder chassis with a limited payload at the lower weight range. It has a reputation for being rugged but seemingly no better built than its brother, the Fiat Ducato. The Iveco range in 2007 [new shape] went from 3.2 tons to 6 tons. You will find Iveco chassis' used in heavyweight, expensive motorhomes such as Niesmann & Bischoff Flairs, Concordes and Cathagos up to 6 tons.

As for clubs, why do you want to join?

There are clubs for owners although I'm not sure whether the Autocruise Club is still going, clubs that are good for rallying such as the Motor-homers [only seen its forum], and Motor Caravanners Club - I was a member for a year and attended a couple of good rallies. There are Clubs related to forums such as Motorhome Facts and Motorhome Fun which organise rallies. There are clubs which have motorhome/caravan sections such as the Civil Service Motoring Association [good deals on insurance and breakdown cover if you qualify]. Clubs for single people. There is no shortage of Clubs!

And there are the Caravan Club and Camping & Caravanning Club. I've been a contented member of the CC for 24 years because of its sites but there are people who dislike this Club. Both these Clubs provide sites with good facilities, small 5 van sites with limited facilities, and a range of services tailored to members needs [or club profits if you are cynical]. The CC is bigger and has a reputation for having too many rules. The CCC prides itself on the being the friendly club. Having stayed on sites from both, the only difference I've seen is a greater number of campers and hikers on the CC&C sites.

Have you costed a ferry to Ireland? It made my eyes water!

Archived