Elddis autoquest 100 leisure battery.

Westies2803

Guys, as per my last post, I purchased the above van yesterday, could you tell me if the

Leisure battery charges automatically whilst driving? I noticed the lights went really dim on

AUX setting, but were fine in the VEH setting. Also don't appear to have any power to the

TV socket!! O' the joys. But absolutely loved my first outing :-)) any help would be greatly

Appreciated.

Looking through some earlier forum discussions, it would appear that the battery charging arrangement for a 2009 Elddis Autoquest 100 (which is what Westies2803 has just bought) is likely to be as follows:

1. The leisure and vehicle batteries SHOULD both be charged automatically when the motorhome’s engine is running. As Steve928 says, the position of the VEH/AUX switches should not affect this. (The simplest way of establishing that this is actually happening would be to check (with a voltmeter) the voltage of each battery before the vehicle’s engine is started and to confirm that the voltage has increased significantly once the engine is running.)

2. When a 2009 Autoquest 100 is connected to a 230V mains supply, its onboard battery-charger can only charge the leisure-battery. (Once again, a 'before-and-after check' of each battery’s voltage should confirm this is so.)

3. The VEH and AUX switch-settings define which battery (vehicle or leisure battery respectively) supply power to the motorhome’s living-area systems (reading-lights, water-pump, etc.) The reading-lights being bright with the switch set to VEH, but dim on the AUX setting, suggests that the leisure-battery’s charge-state was low.

(I’ve no practical experience of Elddis motorhomes. If what I’ve said above is wrong or incomplete, please correct.)

Not sure about the “..don't appear to have any power to the TV socket..” comment.

If the TV socket is the normal UK-standard domestic 3-pin ‘mains’ type the motorhome will need to be connected to a 230V mains power-supply for the socket to become ‘live’. Even then it might not work if a circuit-breaker in the motorhome has not been suitably set.

If the TV socket is a 12V type, it may well be disabled when the motorhome’s engine is running. Otherwise it (logically) OUGHT to work when the reading-lights are also working. If it doesn’t a fuse may have failed (or a switch may need to be turned on somewhere.)

First things first - read the motorhome’s owner handbook as - even if it’s not wonderfully informative - the handbook should provide useful guidance (eg. about what the VEH/AUX switch is for). As Joe90 advises, if there’s somthing that should work and apparently does not, seek advice from the vendor and (if a motorhome dealership was the seller) ask the vendor to resolve the problem.

Guys thanks for the replies, just checked the leisure battery using a volt meter, it shows the battery is not charging from the engine. I have also checked the fuses in both the sleeping area ( under the settee ) and the engine compartment, all seem ok :-( really stuck for answers.

Any help would again be very grateful!!

Westies2803

Somewhere very near the Leisure battery there should be a couple of blade fuses (one large, one small). The small one (about 2 amps) is part of the charging circuit. Put your meter across both of them to see if they are faulty. It is possible the small one has blown but check them both anyway.

Westies2803 - 2014-10-15 5:21 PM

Guys thanks for the replies, just checked the leisure battery using a volt meter, it shows the battery is not charging from the engine. I have also checked the fuses in both the sleeping area ( under the settee ) and the engine compartment, all seem ok :-( really stuck for answers.

Any help would again be very grateful!!

Westies2803

Don't know your specific van, I would assume the leisure battery is charged via a relay via the alternator added as an aftermarket part of the conversion, I got caught out once with one van that had this arrangement, as power wasn't getting to the leisure battery I located the said relay in the engine bay that was protected by an integral fuse, was located I discovered that whilst the integral fuse was OK that wasn't the problem, however after a lot of head scratching looked at it again and one side of the fuse contacts had melted so preventing continuity, but if it was me I'd be on to Elddis asking precisely where the relay is as a first step, if indeed it is that kind of setup.

Relay.jpg.cf6d12a5af8263de640bfcf252be590e.jpg

Westies2803 motorhome was purchased just 4 days ago.

This 2010 forum discussion (relating to a 2009 Elddis Sunseeker)

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Elddis-Leisure-Battery-Fuses/21370/

suggests that there may be fuses behind the B-pillar trim (urbanracer - Posted: 1 November 2010 4:00 PM).

DIY fault-finding is fine and, if the problem just relates to a simple fuse failure or a loose connection, may save a long drive to the vendor for attention. But as the vehicle was so recently purchased (and assuming that it was bought from a dealer of course), as Joe90 earlier advised, problems like this are best resolved by the vendor.

If the leisure-battery has not been being recharged from the vehicle’s alternator for a while, the battery may have been heavily discharged during that period and is now approaching the end of its useful life. So, besides sorting out the no-alternator-charging fault, it would be wise to try to establish the current condition of the leisure-battery.

Westies2803 - 2014-10-12 7:58 AM

...Also don't appear to have any power to the TV socket!!

If you mean a 230 volt TV socket then where you plugged into an EHU (Hook up) at the time? If not then it will almost certainly not work (unless you have an inverter fitted that is).

Keith.

In my post above I asked if the habition electrics worked when the engine is running.

As Derek has pointed out above, I found a fuse box in the B pillar behind the grey plastic trim behind the

drivers seat.

If you removed one of the fuses the habition electrics work with the engine running but I do not know

if by removing the fuse you might get charging problems or problems with the fridge.

It might vary on which side this extra fuse box is fitted by Elddis depending on model type.

So it might be this fuse has blown or some one has removed it.

Archived