toilet paper

mids

Joe90 - 2014-10-21 11:08 PM

I use it for all manner of things.............including the obvious. ;-)

But I could never get on with that Izal shiny stuff.

You have not been scrunching it up enough, if you want to try again you can still get it, the retro shops sell it.

I have been reading the various contributors comments over the last couple of weeks (since discovered this forum) and am constantly laughing at the comments you regular writers make. This thread is a classic. I love the English brand of humour, thanks guys for a great read every morning.

My new AT Tracker FB is due hopefully before Christmas so once on the road I can add an Aussie view to life on the bitumen. Currently we are travelling around by car checking out CVP's we will return to with the FB. In amongst the humour are some good tips - cheap loo paper breaks down easier eg. Thanks for the education.

Thanks, Gary and welcome to the Forum! :-D

Your comments have made my morning!

They sure make a nice warm positive change from most of the other miserable/grumpy/combative old codgers/farts/gits on here! ;-) I include myself among them of course (!)

This is by far the best of the U.K. Motorhome Fora and it is free! The 'real' experts on here, Nick Fisher ('Euroserv') Derek Uzell, Brian Kirby, Dave Newell ( having, we hope, a temporary break) Clive (occasionally) and others too numerous to mention,are worth their weight in gold -- and not replicated on other Fora, even those where you have to pay!

I hope that you enjoy your new (British!) 'van -- it's a great hobby wherever you do it!

Cheers,

Happy motorhoming!

Colin.

P.S. I'm a thick 'Pom', what's a CVP?

C.

P.P.S. To get back to the O.P. chaps -- we use the 'special' Thetford soluble stuff! C.

Symbol Owner - 2014-10-22 8:50 AM

Thanks, Gary and welcome to the Forum! :-D

Your comments have made my morning!

They sure make a nice warm positive change from most of the other miserable/grumpy/combative old codgers/farts/gits on here! ;-) I include myself among them of course (!)

This is by far the best of the U.K. Motorhome Fora and it is free! The 'real' experts on here, Nick Fisher ('Euroserv') Derek Uzell, Brian Kirby, Dave Newell ( having, we hope, a temporary break) Clive (occasionally) and others too numerous to mention,are worth their weight in gold -- and not replicated on other Fora, even those where you have to pay!

I hope that you enjoy your new (British!) 'van -- it's a great hobby wherever you do it!

Cheers,

Happy motorhoming!

Colin.

P.S. I'm a thick 'Pom', what's a CVP?

C.

P.P.S. To get back to the O.P. chaps -- we use the 'special' Thetford soluble stuff! C.

I have to agree with you Chris. Pity some of the other helpful posters have disapeared !1

Even the Revrand (Tony Jones) went over to the other side!,

Shame the mods don't "butt in" more

PJay

Guest pelmetman

If we have guests.............. ................we use the Telegraph :D ............

After a dodgy curry .......................................The Guardian >:-)............

But in general any red top will do ;-) ..........................

Geeco - 2014-10-22 1:20 AMCurrently we are travelling around by car checking out CVP's we will return to with the FB. In amongst the humour are some good tips - cheap loo paper breaks down easier eg. Thanks for the education.

Trouble with the 'El Cheapo' brands is they sometimes break down a little too readily if you get my drift so we prefer not to stick to Andrex or similar - after all if we can't spend a few pennies extra to improve the penny and tuppence spending experience what is the meaning of life!CVP might be an acronym for mainland European loos - Continental Vacillating Pits?

Tracker - 2014-10-22 9:33 AM

Trouble with the 'El Cheapo' brands is they sometimes break down a little too readily if you get my drift so we prefer not to stick to Andrex or similar -

.....I think I get your drift.........

.....if/when it breaks down, you stick to it............ 8-)

Tracker - 2014-10-22 9:33 AM

Trouble with the 'El Cheapo' brands is they sometimes break down a little too readily if you get my drift so we prefer not to stick to Andrex or similar -

Persevere with the cheap stuff Rich you soon get the hang of not putting your fingers through it. :D :D

Symbol Owner - 2014-10-22 8:50 AM

This is by far the best of the U.K. Motorhome Forum and it is free! The 'real' experts on here, Nick Fisher ('Euroserv') Derek Uzell, Brian Kirby, Dave Newell ( having, we hope, a temporary break) Clive (occasionally) and others too numerous to mention,are worth their weight in gold -- and not replicated on other Forum, even those where you have to pay!

I agree I've tried the PM forum I think I made one post on there found it boring. I view Motorhomefacts regularly used up my 5 free posts, a couple of people on there are knowledgeable but often get loads of useless answers. Used to be on Fun until they started charging they have just revamped the site I think it's much harder to navigate.

This site may have out of date software, but it is easy to find your way round I'm happy with it, the only thing that is interesting on Facts & Fun is they organise rallies throughout the year.

Not in the van. In the van we've used Thetfords toilet paper more or less consistently for 24 years - not the same sheet all the time. It does break down the best in our opinion.

If cost was an issue, we'd save more by eating less and going less often.

We tend to use sites with toilet blocks so the paper is only about £8 a day with free showers all day. Pitches are extra. We also take the opportunity if we find clean toilets elsewhere on our travels.

Brock - 2014-10-22 10:51 AM

Not in the van. In the van we've used Thetfords toilet paper more or less consistently for 24 years - not the same sheet all the time. It does break down the best in our opinion.

If cost was an issue, we'd save more by eating less and going less often.

We tend to use sites with toilet blocks so the paper is only about £8 a day with free showers all day. Pitches are extra. We also take the opportunity if we find clean toilets elsewhere on our travels.

How very odd...........we find a clean toilet everywhere, and don't have to look,

it's in our van !

....bring back Izal! :-D

I unashamedly re-post something I added to the forum some years ago (I do love "toilet humour" B-) )

----

Back in the day....I used to regularly go to a Scout Centre which was near to the IZAL factory (Newton Chambers, north of Sheffield). You could smell it for miles.

This post got me reminiscing as to exactly where it was, and Googling brought up an amusing article from The Times, which made me chuckle - it might you as well.

As it's part of a wider article, I've cut it rather than referenced it.

Last Saturday radio documentary literally scraped the barrel of the bottom, with Sally Goldsmith’s Now Wash Your Hands (Radio 4). It was a tribute to the medicated Izal toilet roll — now sufficiently a part of history for us to get nostalgic about it rather than hating it as much as we did at the time. For those too young and fortunate not to have experienced it, the Izal loo roll was a sort of shiny white thing with the consistency of lino (it was best to scrunch it up before use, make it a bit more malleable) and smelling of coal tar. It didn’t do its job properly, tending to — how to put this delicately — spread the work rather than clean it up. Put another way, it … OK, maybe better not put it another way. Ask an older person if you’re that interested.

But by God it made for a jolly half-hour documentary on a weekend morning. From the middle of the 19th century, where the British Empire went it had a rifle in one hand and a weapons-grade bogroll in the other. Johnny Foreigner was invited to share in the Izal disinfectant experience, a miracle cure for tuberculosis, cholera, diptheria, typhus — everything short of baldness, really. Back home, the growth of the inside lavatory meant many more people went for the Izal and its cheaper, non-medicated competing brands than the more traditional forms of tending to your bitt-bott, such as torn up newspapers and string sacks that had formerly contained oranges. A cunning marketing campaign whereby municipal buildings were given free roll rolls in exchange for placing bulk orders of the disinfectant made going to a public lavatory an ordeal by fire for decades. By the Sixties, though, a more sophisticated clientele demanded a toilet roll that wouldn’t do untold damage to the perineum, and by the Eighties the Izal roll was no more. The surprising thing was that it took that long to die off.

But that was not the meat of Goldsmith’s programme. Rather it was the people who spent their lives in the Izal factory in Chapeltown, a suburb of Sheffield, making the things. A woman named Maggie Holmes, who ran one of the huge roll-making machines, handed over a cherished cutting from a local newspaper that honoured her and her colleague and best friend, Patricia for having produced 268 boxes of rolls — 72 rolls in a box — in a single eight-hour shift during “the busy time before Christmas”. Why Christmas should lead to an increase in toilet roll demand was not explained.

“It was a record that broke all other records,” Holmes said, proudly. And, yes, she and Patricia had set out to set the record. “If I could have my time over again,” she reflected, “I’d do it all over again. I loved it.”

As did the woman who once had the job of taking rejected rolls and making them fit for human consumption, as it were. If the tops of the roll weren’t flat she would sandpaper them flat. And the quality control supervisor who would select rolls at random and count the number of squares to make sure that the public wasn’t being shortchanged. That’s consumer care of an order you just don’t get these days.

On "Four Rooms" last year someone brought in, for dealers to bid for, a roll of Izal loo paper mounted on a plaque!

It had a citation underneath to the effect that the Beatles had refused to use this at Abbey Road and sent out for softer paper.

The person was unhappy that no-one bid for it, he wanted several hundred pounds.

Talk about religious reliquaries! Splinters from the true cross come cheaper.

Robinhood - 2014-10-22 11:25 AM

Why Christmas should lead to an increase in toilet roll demand was not explained.

I once heard that the sale of toilet rolls increases significantly in winter because a lot of people use them as tissues for their streaming noses.

;-)

Archived