coolant

rawhide

Hi fellow tromers, i wanted to change engine coolant Fiat 2,8 Jtd 2005, every time i lift the bonnet i scream, why cant i take off bottom hose and just do it, nightmare, do the garages use a suction pump or similar, shorly they dont spend hours trying to get to that hose off, HELP :$

My local handyman / mechanic just cuts the Fiat clips off on the bottom hose with some side cutting pliers, then replaces them with a standard type jubilee clip, he has done this on two past vans that I owned, and also on the air cleaner hoses to enable easy air filter replacements. I don't think it's any major hassle.

To quote someone on here, I think it's called progress.

The last time I got involved with DIY was on my Ford Sierra, did my cambelt, very simple job, with the belt costing around £8, and if I remember correctly two sockets 13mm, and 10 mm...............................fast forward to my Ford Focus, all manner of special tools required, hands the size of a babies required, major dismantling, single use alternator and air con drive belts that need to be cut off, and replaced using special tools, and the requirement to change the water pump at the same time, that results in a £500 bill for effectively the same job !

As I often say, I'm a man out of my time. :'(

Derek Uzzell - 2014-11-02 10:09 AM

The ‘approved’ technique sems to be as Joe90 describes

http://www.motorhomefacts.com/ftoptitle-76335-coolant-change-on-fiat-ducato-28jtd.html

I used to think little of replacing engines, gearboxes, etc, of vehicles I owned in the 1960s. Nowadays I let garages do even simple things like oil-changes.

I agree Derek, but all this 'progress' is leading to a major 'de-skilling' of the population, we are all becoming 'drones' who cannot do (and are 'not allowed'to do ) any DIY jobs either on our vehicles or around the house, ah well, back to the 'mind numbing' computer games, or Strictly come dancing !!

NOOOOOOOOOOO ! *-)

If you are replacing Jubilee clips,make the replacements good quality stainless steel ones !

What a load of fuss about nothing.

I don't think I've seen a jubilee clip used on a new vehicle for 30 years, and when they where in use invariably some ham fisted 'person' had half stripped them so you needed to use new one anyway.

Cut the clip off with side cutters then put a new clip on easy peasy.

Rayjsj - 2014-11-02 10:56 AM

I agree Derek, but all this 'progress' is leading to a major 'de-skilling' of the population, we are all becoming 'drones' who cannot do (and are 'not allowed'to do ) any DIY jobs either on our vehicles or around the house...

Who is this “we”?

I like to think I’m as capable intellectually as I was in my 20s but, at age 70, I’m definitely not as physically strong as I was then. I’m also a lot richer and less reckless than I was 50 years ago, and I’ve learned from the countless DIY mistakes I’ve made in the past that, if I can afford to pay someone I consider at least as competent as me to work on my vehicles, I’d rather not get my hands dirty doing it myself.

There are many aspects of modern vehicles that will challenge Joe Public (even relatively clued-up Joe Public) when it comes to DIY maintenance/repair. For example, although I was happy to change the front brake disc pads of my Transit-based Hobby motorhome (and did twice during my ownership of it) I would have fought shy of replacing its rear brake shoes if this had proved necessary as (from the information in the Hatnes manual) the procedure was more complex.

Returning to rawhide’s original complaint, I happen to have Haynes manuals for 2000-2006 Transits and for 1992-1996 VW Golfs. To drain the coolant for the Transits there are drain-points in the radiator and engine block, whereas the earlier Golfs need to have the radiator’s bottom hose displaced. So there’s nothing new about having to take the hose off to drain the coolant. Admittedly it may be a sod of a job getting at the clips, but how often will the coolant be drained during a Ducato’s anticipated working life?

Thanks for the various comments, Brian, i think the hoses are probably original. wouldnt dream of removing that clip and putting same hose back, there is very slight smell when heater hot, so wanted to flush the system, only take me an hour easy, last time i left it in garage passenger leather seat badly scratched even though i covered with sheet steering covered with oil etc, i have run a business for 40 years working in domestic property, never advertised, says it all, mechanics dont have a clue, bulls in china shops :D

Archived