Solar installation Chausson Flash 28

pheasantplucker

I've had a solar panel (120W) put on my Flash 28, but on a recent trip, noticed that the vehicle battery wasn't showing a full charge according to the control panel while on hook-up following a journey which should have charged it well from the alternator, especially as it was showing a full charge from the solar after being in storage. The hab. battery was full and remained showing full.

Reading the manual, apparently the Flash has a ready wired solar connection and not using this can interfere with the other charging systems, but it only charges when the van control panel is on.

As the van is kept in storage, is it good practice to leave the panel always on? I've always switched everything off when we leave the van.

At the moment, solar charging takes place without the panel being on and both batteries are receiving a full charge from solar according to the panel when I turn it on.

I've asked the panel installer who is going to check and presumably correct if necessary, but am I better off with the present arrangement or should we rewire and leave the van control panel live in storage do you think? He checked the batteries before installing and says they are OK, now 3 years old.

If everything is working OK and batteries are charging OK when on EHU I would leave it as it is if that suits your needs.

You don't say what make the mains charger is, it may be worth checking with the manufacturer to ensure there won't be any problems. Some chargers e.g some models of Elektroblock shut down if a solar regulator is connected direct to the batteries.

lennyhb - 2014-11-17 9:56 PM

If everything is working OK and batteries are charging OK when on EHU I would leave it as it is if that suits your needs.

You don't say what make the mains charger is, it may be worth checking with the manufacturer to ensure there won't be any problems. Some chargers e.g some models of Elektroblock shut down if a solar regulator is connected direct to the batteries.

Thanks. It is actually wired via the van electrics (consumer unit?) but presumably not in the way that Chausson arranged it. I was surprised to find only 2 green lights out of 4, although usually sticks on 3, on the state of charge indicator for the vehicle battery, especially as we had driven 150 miles, were on EHU and begun with 4 green lights after the solar charge in storage. Due to rain, we did travel with headlamps on.The hab battery maintained 4 lights unles a lot of power was being used after dark.

I would like to have it wired as Chausson intended, but am querying the wisdom of leaving the van electrical control panel switched on for extended periods of unattended storage in order to keep the solar panel charging?

Your LED's indicating state of charge will only give you an approximation it is best to check with a meter, these figures are off load after the battery has rested at least half an hour.

Wet cell Gel AGM

100% 12.70+ 12.85+ 12.80+

75% 12.40 12.65 12.60

50% 12.20 12.35 12.30

25% 12.00 12.00 12.00

0% 11.80 11.80 11.80

Providing you ensure everything is switched off in the van if you leave the panel on, only the electronics on the panel will be powered so should be safe to leave on. I expect you leave plenty of things on in the home when you go away, washing machine, dish washer, TV, Digi box, oven, microwave, they all have electronics powered up, just mentioning that to put it in perspective.

Archived