dogs in vans and caravans

ips

New caravan Coming In march now we are having to plan potential a totally different type of going away. First question really is will it be warm enough for seven month old cocker in a cage in the awning, will we require fan heater on.

Any advice or tips on any aspect of going away with dogs appreciated as prob some things we have never even thought about. Or are we worrying unnecessarily?

I think is is really down to how a dog is raised from being a puppy. My 2 are house dogs and prefer the warmth and comfort of the house or motorhome and probably wouldn't appreciate being left for too long in an awning, especially if it is still cold in March. On the other hand there are many other dogs that would be quite happy in such an environment.

Other issues relating to having dogs is the need to find suitable sites to run them off the lead, as well as suitable walks when on the lead. I also find, being relatively new to motorhoming, that they can be quite restrictive when it comes to planning days out when on location. That said, the dogs came first so we have to make the most of it and plan as best we can around them.

I had a spaniel once but a long time ago so cannot remember about how he reacted to sleeping in a tent in those days. I think more of a problem might be barking - my daughter's household has three spaniels and they bark incessantly!

I would suggest that you put plenty of bedding under him and get a cover for the cage. That should keep them asleep longer and keep out the wind too. My dog sleeps in the motorhome with me.

Happy holidays! B-)

Cheers

She sleeps in cage in kitchen with blanket over. Quite a cold kitchen so she used to not being over warm. Rarely barks never at night. Thought about extra blanket under cage for insulation and poss leaving fan heater on very low.

I hate to say this - but it's a DOG.

The Cocker was bred as a working dog over hundreds of years, has a wonderful fur coat that will protect it from the cold in most countries throughout the year and will be perfectly okay left out in the fresh air by day or night - unless you're going to Siberia!

As mentioned earlier you've more to worry about with high temperatures than low ones.

Don't molly coddle the dog – just because some owners do!

Solomongrundy - 2015-02-14 9:05 PM

I hate to say this - but it's a DOG.

The Cocker was bred as a working dog over hundreds of years, has a wonderful fur coat that will protect it from the cold in most countries throughout the year and will be perfectly okay left out in the fresh air by day or night - unless you're going to Siberia!

As mentioned earlier you've more to worry about with high temperatures than low ones.

Don't molly coddle the dog – just because some owners do!

Thank you.

Point taken as I admit we are new to this dog thong so all info appreciated.

Our two Labradors are quite capable of sleeping out in the open, but if you could see the look on their faces when I let them out to do their 'business' in the Garden, then got 'into' the Rugby on TV, And promptly forgot about them for an Hour... if looks could kill !! Their favorite spots in the house are directly under the radiators.

In the van they curl up together in the dinette on the floor on their beds. don't hear a peep out of them until morning. If they were out in an awning, I would want them to have some 'background heat' say from an oil filled radiator, especially for the 'old girl' who is 12 going on 13, and suffers with arthritis.

They might be 'just dogs', but they are part of our family. Not 'mollycoddled' but cared for.

Ray

Rayjsj - 2015-02-14 9:51 PM

Our two Labradors are quite capable of sleeping out in the open, but if you could see the look on their faces when I let them out to do their 'business' in the Garden, then got 'into' the Rugby on TV, And promptly forgot about them for an Hour... if looks could kill !! Their favorite spots in the house are directly under the radiators.

In the van they curl up together in the dinette on the floor on their beds. don't hear a peep out of them until morning. If they were out in an awning, I would want them to have some 'background heat' say from an oil filled radiator, especially for the 'old girl' who is 12 going on 13, and suffers with arthritis.

They might be 'just dogs', but they are part of our family. Not 'mollycoddled' but cared for.

Ray

They sound lovely. Yes I am thinking background heat in awning. Only two berth van so not much room to be inside

ips - 2015-02-14 9:54 PM

..... Yes I am thinking background heat in awning. Only two berth van so not much room to be inside

Our dog sleeps downstairs at home contentedly, restricted to one room, and we did conteplate having a cage in our porch awning for her. But we often do an overnight stop in the MH with no awning and she has got used to being inside - so I suspect there would be some whining if we did start shutting her outside. There isn't that much room in the MH but she "owns" a corner of the settee and curls down there quietly enough overnight without restraint.

I suspect you would need quite a lot of "background" heating in the awning if you use the van in winter.

Stuart

Good point about overnight without awning. I did think this myself as we don't usually use it for less than three nights. I could possibly just fit cage near door but now that she is used to being downstairs on her own at night I am worried that she will expect to be near us at home as well.

Hard work this dog lark.

ips - 2015-02-15 8:08 AM

Stuart

Good point about overnight without awning. I did think this myself as we don't usually use it for less than three nights. I could possibly just fit cage near door but now that she is used to being downstairs on her own at night I am worried that she will expect to be near us at home as well.

Hard work this dog lark.

I'd certainly be looking to have the dog sleep outside/away from you, if that's what you want it get used to at home.

(as a kid our dog(s) always slept outside in a kennel..).

Possibly a bit bulky over-all to lug about "just in case" but if it's definitely going to be "deployed", if you don't want to bother with the main awning, these are really handy:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/base-seconds-pop-up-living-area-camping-shelter-green-id_8208602.html

It's out of the bag, up and fully pegged within 4-5 mins...and the same again to take it down.

We've used one for a few years now(just bought a second one, just in case ours gets damaged and/or they discontinue them).

Billggski - 2015-02-14 6:49 PM dogs are fine in awnings, it's heat that is the problem for dogs, not cold.

Absolutely correct, for the benefit of those who don't know, dogs do not sweet, they only way they can cool down is by rapid breathing to bring air into the lungs. (For the pedantic amongst us, they do sweet a tiny bit through their paws, hardly discernable even in hot weather)

I've never heard of it happening but good dogs now cost a lot of money so you would be leaving a high value item in an insecure awning.

Our Boarder Terrier started off in a cage in the motorhome when she was very young but we soon got feed up with that so now,she settles down at night on her bed on the motorhome floor. At first she used to jump on the bed and wake us only to get put back on her bed. Now she's older and wiser she has realised than if she waits for us to go to sleep she can sneak up quietly and settle down at the foot of the bed for the rest of the night!

An awning does come in handy if one returns with a wet muddy dog as a place to dry off. Do be aware though that unless secured dogs are past masters at escaping from awnings.

Our two dogs - Lab and Lab/Staffy X sleep in the garage of our motorhome when on tour, and treat it as their den. It is admittedly a large garage (Burstner Ixeo Plus it875G) but it keeps the dogs outside the cabin.

Generally speaking, the only time they come inside is when we are travelling when they are on short tethers attached to the seat belts. When they are outside during the day they are attached to extendable tethers, lengthened or shortened as required.

Hi we also have a 6 month cocker who comes away with us.

In the house he sleeps downstairs in his cage that is covered up.

Whilst away he sleeps in a smaller cage on one of the beds, also covered up.

We were concerned he would be unhappy when returning home but he has been fine and just goes back to his normal routine.

Eventually when older he will probably just sleep on his bed on the floor.

Although he would no doubt be ok, I would not like to put him in an awning for security reasons. As he is part of the family. I would not make my kids sleep in an awning in March on there own.

If you are happy for him to sleep outside in an awning he should be fine as long as its not too different to what he is used to.

Hope this is helpful

Many thanks Yes most helpful your cockers routine is exactly same as ours. Like you we would hope eventually that she will sleep on her bed and not cage both at home and caravan. My concern was she would expect to be near us at home having been near us in van but sounds like yours adapts back ok. Other thing is our van is only two berth so not much room for cage which incidentally like you we have a smaller one for car and van than the one she has in kitchen. It may just fit at caravan doorway if we decide against awning idea.

Ps

Off to vet after as we think she may have urinary infection as more wees than usual and some accidents in home.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

Had first trip in new van with new dog now 8 1/2 months old. All went well she settled no prob and really enjoyed it she went into holiday mode much calmer than usual. In the end we let her stay in smaller cage in van which just fitted at side of bed leaving just enough room to sneak past to get to bathroom not a peep out of her all night. Porch awning was a god send as it gave her room during the day to play and to have a rest in her cage and of course to keep her in one place. As a working gun dog I was concerned about her exercise and training regime being effected but as said earlier she was in holiday mode.

Phew van still in one piece.

Archived