dogs in vans and caravans

ips

Guest pelmetman

Glad we never got round to reupholstering and replacing the carpet............never had a puppy before 8-) .........

First thing in the morning she does the wall of death around the camper, preferably without touching the floor, and if I'm too slow moving back from the bed edge.....I get a headbutt or a paw in the gob as she launches herself at the overcab *-).............

How long do they stay puppies? :-S .............

pelmetman - 2015-03-25 10:10 AM

Glad we never got round to reupholstering and replacing the carpet............never had a puppy before 8-) .........

First thing in the morning she does the wall of death around the camper, preferably without touching the floor, and if I'm too slow moving back from the bed edge.....I get a headbutt or a paw in the gob as she launches herself at the overcab *-).............

Hi Dave I have obviously missed something here. Last time I looked you had a choc lab and a stray (?) from Spain. Has something terrible happened. If so, sorry for opening old wounds.

Our dog, a Dalmatian bitch, behaves very differently in the MH compared with in the car. She seems to recognised when we are undertaking a transit journey (eg when we are at a steady speed on a motorway) and settles down to sleep or just look out of the window. And in the MH she is fairly quiet even on country roads and in towns, whereas in the car (behind a dog guard) she whinges and whines continuously, seeming itching to get out to start sniffing around and exploring etc.

She's certainly no trouble in the MH, in a harness with a lead which is clipped into a seat belt socket.

We found our cocker to be a totally different dog. As if she sensed she had no space or our field available so just decided bollox to it and relaxed.

No wall of death as pelmet man eludes to. Soon as we got home usual working cocker service was resumed.

Patricia - 2015-03-25 12:25 PM

Could it be the dog guard in the car that she doesn't like?

Don't think so, because she jumps in enthusiastically and settles dow straight away on motorway trips and when the car is parked and she's left in it. We have another car which doesn;t have a dog guard fitted and she gets exited and whingy in that as we drive through towns and on country lanes.

Guest pelmetman
StuartO - 2015-03-25 12:52 PM

Patricia - 2015-03-25 12:25 PM

Could it be the dog guard in the car that she doesn't like?

Don't think so, because she jumps in enthusiastically and settles dow straight away on motorway trips and when the car is parked and she's left in it. We have another car which doesn;t have a dog guard fitted and she gets exited and whingy in that as we drive through towns and on country lanes.

We had similar experience with Troy, he loved the camper, but hated the works van and the car as he used to throw up every trip :-S ........

It wasn't just our car either, as a couple of years ago we hired a car here in Calpe for a fortnight.......he threw up first trip *-) ..............even though we tried to clean it up, the smell of sun baked dog vomit is now deep in my memory bank 8-) ............fortunately I took out their fully comprehensive insurance :D ....

Guest pelmetman
Patricia - 2015-03-25 10:39 AM

Hi Dave I have obviously missed something here. Last time I looked you had a choc lab and a stray (?) from Spain. Has something terrible happened. If so, sorry for opening old wounds.

Hola Patricia,

Yes we've had a bit of a saga dog wise, we lost Troy the day before we were meant to leave home, and we lost my inheritance Piggy the day after we arrived at Calpe :-( .............

We had planned to wait until we got home before we got another rescue......but......the van was so quiet.....empty.....and clean :-S ........

Sue saw Kira in a local free paper.........and now old Horace is slowly being eaten alive 8-) ..........

You sound as if you are a sucker like me. When I know my dog is getting towards leaving me, I try to get another one before they do. However, last time it was very unexpected (she wasn't even 9) and in France too - first time I ever had to deal with it without my husband to comfort me too. So had to wait until I got home from France and it was awful. Problem is they don't really live that long do they? This one is nearly 4 already. Trying to decide if having puppies is the right way to go.

Guest pelmetman
Patricia - 2015-03-25 2:04 PM

Trying to decide if having puppies is the right way to go.

Never had kids or a puppy before .................It's been a steep learning curve 8-) ..........

I'm getting fit though :D .........

Dave, I am so sorry, I totally forgot to offer my sympathy to both of you. I hope that the puppy is helping to take the edge off your loss - at least she is keeping you busy. My present travel companion is still mad if she can get out - just hares off and won't come back when called. This is the only one I have ever taken to training classes and the only one who does what she wants to do!

Hope you are enjoying your holiday anyway but don't forget to watch out for the processional caterpillars.

pelmetman - 2015-03-25 1:56 PM

Patricia - 2015-03-25 10:39 AM

Hola Patricia,

Yes we've had a bit of a saga dog wise, we lost Troy the day before we were meant to leave home, and we lost my inheritance Piggy the day after we arrived at Calpe :-( .............

We had planned to wait until we got home before we got another rescue......but......the van was so quiet.....empty.....and clean :-S ........

Sue saw Kira in a local free paper.........and now old Horace is slowly being eaten alive 8-) ..........

Sorry about the big gap I'm just getting used to this silly iPad!!

Hope you don't mind me asking Dave? What do you do when your abroad and your dog dies? Do you contact a Vet..

Guest pelmetman
Patricia - 2015-03-25 2:24 PM

Dave, I am so sorry, I totally forgot to offer my sympathy to both of you. I hope that the puppy is helping to take the edge off your loss - at least she is keeping you busy. My present travel companion is still mad if she can get out - just hares off and won't come back when called. This is the only one I have ever taken to training classes and the only one who does what she wants to do!

Hope you are enjoying your holiday anyway but don't forget to watch out for the processional caterpillars.

No worries Patricia, we're over it now.... gone but not forgotten ;-) ............Best thing we did was start looking almost straight away.......last time we left it for a few months before getting another dog, and decided to paint the kitchen and sun lounge to take our minds off things............few months later had to get someone in to redo it as we'd painted them badly in a awful grey colour :-S ........

Guest pelmetman
maggyd - 2015-03-25 9:45 PM

Hope you don't mind me asking Dave? What do you do when your abroad and your dog dies? Do you contact a Vet..

Its quite straight forward Maggy, they go to the vet and they arrange for them to be collected for cremation.

The cost is based on the weight of the dog, Piggy was a 170€, but it was extra as we had to call the vet out on a Sunday to put her to sleep :-| ...............

I have to say this is turning into a depressing thread, we have 4 dogs and I am not expecting the older 2 to still be with us by the end of the summer :( Not something I am looking forward too.

Going back to the original point of the thread, we choose our latest motor home based on the needs of the dogs, It has an island bad with more floor space than our previous van and the lower bed allows them to climb up on it and relax :)

We have an inflateable awning, which we use when we are camped out, but only during the day, we put cages in there for them and use it as a place for them to dry out or when we are cooking and want them out from under our feet.

Would never leave them out over night, too worried about them being stolen more than anything else, besides they don´t sleep outside when we are home so why woudl we expect them too when we are travelling.

Good point re outside but I think we may leave ours in awning in summer purely for her own well being as I think it will be way to hot in van. Awning is a must this time of year imo a safe haven and play room.

Sparks1061 - 2015-03-26 5:39 PM

I have to say this is turning into a depressing thread, we have 4 dogs and I am not expecting the older 2 to still be with us by the end of the summer :( Not something I am looking forward too.

Going back to the original point of the thread, we choose our latest motor home based on the needs of the dogs, It has an island bad with more floor space than our previous van and the lower bed allows them to climb up on it and relax :)

We have an inflateable awning, which we use when we are camped out, but only during the day, we put cages in there for them and use it as a place for them to dry out or when we are cooking and want them out from under our feet.

Would never leave them out over night, too worried about them being stolen more than anything else, besides they don´t sleep outside when we are home so why woudl we expect them too when we are travelling.

Sorry about that :-S but as Dave has been through it I thought I would ask the question as I know how devastated I was when I lost my last one, I don't want to be running around like a headless chicken if anything did happen.

As regards dogs getting overheated in the van overnight if the roof vents are open I don't think the dogs will suffer I think it gets quite cool, and the older one of mine likes to lie on the floor he doesn't sleep in his bed if its warm.

My sons dog jumped through his window flyscreen when he heard a hedgehog under his caravan when in France ! they was one heck of a commotion he ended up dragging his Jack Russell out into the road as the little b8gger wouldn't drop it, he had to apologize to his neighbours the next day which was a bit difficult when he only knows a few words of French.

Guest pelmetman
Sparks1061 - 2015-03-26 5:39 PM

Unfortunately it comes with the territory of pet ownership................

Being forewarned of how to deal with such situations it in foreign climes is to my mind useful info :-| ........

Patricia - 2015-03-25 2:04 PM

You sound as if you are a sucker like me. When I know my dog is getting towards leaving me, I try to get another one before they do. However, last time it was very unexpected (she wasn't even 9) and in France too - first time I ever had to deal with it without my husband to comfort me too. So had to wait until I got home from France and it was awful. Problem is they don't really live that long do they? This one is nearly 4 already. Trying to decide if having puppies is the right way to go.

. We have had Labradors ,6 so far over about 35 years, our latest 'Lucy' is a yellow and a Rescue, she was approx. 2 when we got her, they all come with a bit of 'Baggage' but usually nothing that Love and training can't overcome, we have had puppies as well ,2 of our 6, but as we are now older ourselves we find older 'Rescues' easier to manage. As well as Lucy we also have Wendy a 12 year old Black who we got as a puppy, they have all been individuals with their own characters and foibles, I love them. They are the only things I would go into a burning building to save (after the missus!).

Archived