Fiat's Uconnect 5” Radio Nav (Tom Tom)

AlanS

I used the Tom Tom GO 50 we use in the motorhome here in Aust on a recent trip to Italy. Prior to leaving home I put in the first destination from the airport rental pickup in Rome. It took no time at all to locate the satellite in Rome, infact it had picked up the connection as we left the airport car park. Overall I am very happy with the portable TT as it must have more features than the builtin model you have in UK. There is no suitable map package for the AU market from Fiat/TT so we have no option but to use a stand alone unit. cheers, 

• 5 months later...

We have an Autotrail Delaware (2016) with media pack. The Sat Nav is Fiat supplied and virtually worthless. It cannot even convert from mph to kph. It has no height, width or weight . Basically it is 'not fit for purpose'.

I have spoken to our agent who put me on to AutoTrail, neither would do anything. Fiat (at the NEC show) told me that it is the standard model they fit and it has no memory to allow for any operating system upgrades.

I use an app on my Android tablet called 'Navigator' from MapFactor. For Euro 49 (£40) you can get Tom Tom truck maps for Europe. If the app can get the truck maps to resell at this price why can Fiat not?

There are other map apps for Android which have truck maps but this is the best one I've tried - it still, like all sat-navs, tries to send you silly places occasionally, check your routes on a map!

So if you want a sat nav system for your motorhome do not rely on Fiat/Autotrail.

Pete

pilgrimPete - 2017-03-11 6:45 PM

We have an Autotrail Delaware (2016) with media pack. The Sat Nav is Fiat supplied and virtually worthless. It cannot even convert from mph to kph. It has no height, width or weight . Basically it is 'not fit for purpose’...

Pete

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive foums, Pete.

It’s generally recognised that the Uconnect 5” Radio Nav fitted to Fiat Ducatos (and other Fiat models) is essentially a ‘car’ device and the TomTom navigation element of it has no means to set the dimensions or weight of the vehicle it is fitted to as a consequence. However, it should certainly be possible to switch the navigation unit of measurement setting from miles to kilometres (and vice versa) and this should result in speed-related data being displayed in respectively mph or kmh.

I note that the full documentation for the Uconnect 5” Radio Nav refers to updating the device’s software (to be carried out by a Fiat Dealership) and there is also a chapter advising on how to update the system’s map. (Whether a system or map update is actually offered for a Uconnect 5” Radio Nav is another matter though.)

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 2016 Fiat Ducato with inbuilt navigation. The unit can display km/hr on the TT navigation by pressing the settings knob for the display and changing the units. However this changes the display in the seedo area and you get km/litre and trip distance and odometer in km rather than mpg and miles.

We use a Garmin 760 LMT D as the TT is car based and takes no account of size thus sending you down very narrow roads at times.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Garry.

I notice that the Fiat manual for this unit

http://tinyurl.com/lv7lcqp

has guidance at the start of Page 30 on how to choose the ‘units’ relating to Distance and Fuel Consumption. The advice is as follows

"Distance" ("km" or "mi") and "Fuel Consumption". If the distance is in "km", "km/l" or "l/100 km" can be selected. If the distance is in "mi" (miles), "miles per gallon" ("mpg") are set automatically.”

As far as I’m aware, fuel consumption in countries using metric units is normally expressed as litres per 100km rather than kilometers per litre. For what it’s worth, 30mpg equates to approximately 9.42l/100km, 10.62km/l or 6.6 miles per litre.

Presumably the UConnect device calculates fuel consumption using a crystal ball...

Derek

The U Connect Radio which includes the TomTom satnav mirrors the values that are set on the main instrument panel - they are linked via the canbus system. Therefore if you want to select mileage in kilometres on the TomTom then everything is changed on the vehicle instrument panel but you do have a choice of setting for fuel consumption either km/l or l/100km. When abroad I prefer to have my speed read-out in km/hr but of course when you changed that on either the TomTom or via the instrument panel they both change. It is strange how we seem to hang on to our fuel consumption being in MPG in our minds and also distance in miles, although I constantly I do the conversion instantly in my head.

The reason I prefer the speed to read out in km/hr is of course to abide as best as I can, by the varying speed limits in the countries/towns we are travelling through, hence I set my Garmin Camper up for metric measurement and leave the cab instrument cluster, and of course as they are linked, the TomTom in UK values.

From my previous comments anyway I find the in-built TomTom absolutely useless and do not know my Fiat continue to provide this lacklustre system as 'standard' in their car and van ranges. For me my Garmin Camper fully fits the bill but of course I do research routes too either by map or Google Maps.

Alan

Archived