Driving licence,

Pete-B

Whoops, try again!

Having handed in my C1 licence when I reached 70, am I able to tow a small camping trailer with a gross train weight of 600kg behind my (new still waiting for) Bessie E462 which is, 3500kg?

Thanks and a happy Easter day to one and all.

I am pretty sure that you will be able to drive your new motorhome, up to 3500kgs. The max train weight should be on the MH's plate, and if over 4100kgs, will allow you to tow your camping trailer as well. I believe that the MH restriction on the licence only applies to the vehicle your are driving, and not to the all up weight of vehicle with trailer.

The driving licence link above states that the total weight should not exceed 3500K. It would be good to limit your MH to 3500K and then add a trailer to carry the extra. But it looks if you need your C1 to do that. It's no big deal to take the medical if you are relatively fit. £56 and 20 minutes of your time with an HGV doctor.

"You can also tow heavier trailers if the total weight of vehicle and trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg." From the driving licence categories link.

Pete,

What categories DO you have on your licence?

If ONLY B then you are limited to 3,500 kg Gross Train Weight...

"Category B

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500 kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)... (with a trailer up to 750 kg).

You can also tow heavier trailers if the total weight of vehicle and trailer isn't more than 3,500 kg."

BUT if you also have B+E then you are NOT limited to 3,500 kg GTW...

"Category B+E

You can drive a category B vehicle with a trailer when they have a combined weight over 3,500 kg."

Keith.

An interesting thread, as many of us never read our licence details, or interpret them using the complex categories that the DVLA have managed to develop over the years.

I've now got AM/A/B1/B/C1/D1/BE/C1E/D1E/f/k/l/n/p/q for the next three years, but it may take me that long to drive all those types of vehicles.

Keithl - 2015-04-05 2:55 PM

Pete,

What categories DO you have on your licence?

If ONLY B then you are limited to 3,500 kg Gross Train Weight...

"Category B

You can drive vehicles up to 3,500 kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)... (with a trailer up to 750 kg).

You can also tow heavier trailers if the total weight of vehicle and trailer isn't more than 3,500 kg."

BUT if you also have B+E then you are NOT limited to 3,500 kg GTW...

"Category B+E

You can drive a category B vehicle with a trailer when they have a combined weight over 3,500 kg."

Keith.

That Is My Interpretation too:- B+E, Allows Vehicle 3500kg Plus Trailer. (so long as it weigh`s LESS than the vehicle)

As Per:- https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-categories

Category B+E

You can drive a category B vehicle with a trailer when they have a combined weight over 3,500kg.

Pete

Pete-B - 2015-04-05 9:53 AM

Whoops, try again!

Having handed in my C1 licence when I reached 70, am I able to tow a small camping trailer with a gross train weight of 600kg behind my (new still waiting for) Bessie E462 which is, 3500kg?

Thanks and a happy Easter day to one and all.

As others have said you can drive a vehicle over 3500kg plus a trailer over 750kg. This is what the DVLA said to me when I gave up my grandfather (or should that be grandmother?) rights. I passed my test in a car in 1960 and my licence now says AM,A,B1,B,BE, and fklnpq.. Being diabetic, but not on insulin, I decided not to try to keep the other categories when I reached 70. If you have December 2014 MMM look at p164 which may explain the situation better.

Archived