lost keys

jordano

Hi everyone little help needed we are over here in Benidorm, just been out for a walk and got back to the van with no keys, have back tracked with no joy. have managed to get in the van through the garage and do have a spare ignition key but the one i have lost has the remote key fob, alarm remote and ladder lock. does anyone know if i can get a replacment here or even in the uk? our van is an Autotrail Cheyenne 2009

That is not good news and you may well need a Fiat dealership to supply and reprogramme a remote key and that will be expensive.

Remote keys are available on Ebay for very little cost it appears but they will probably still need to be programmed?

Have you tried googling for fiat ducato keys using your current location?

There may be a local garage that can help and if you are on a site the reception might be able to help?

If you have a breakdown or recovery service they may be able to help?

Sorry not an issue I have ever had - yet - so no practical experience.

Guest JudgeMental

Lost mine last week but happily turned up 5 days later. But by then had arranged to pop into Citroen dealer in alicante to order replacement.all x250 keys come from fiat? We arrived in beni yesterday, contact me if you need more help

Eddie

jordano - 2015-04-06 7:41 PM

...just tried the spare key it opens the doors and starts engine but there is a continuous bleeping from a box with fuses behind drivers seat

Where you plugged into EHU at the time you tried the spare key? If so this will be the warning that you have started the engine whilst plugged in. If not them I'm not sure.

jordano - 2015-04-06 9:16 PM

does anyone know if my spare key has a transponder in it?

Yes as the key started the engine. If it did not have a 'chip' then the engine would not start.

Keith.

Yes your spare does have a transponder for the immobilizer. If you get a spare from the likes of Timpsons the transponder is a separate capsule which is 'twined' with the original and then inserted into the key. from memory the capsule is about the size of a mains plug fuse.

Unfortunately (I think) the remote keys are only availible from fiat, you need to check your insurance to see if your covered and be sat down when given the price.

Guest JudgeMental
jordano - 2015-04-06 7:41 PM

thanks for that Eddie we are on La toretta just tried the spare key it opens the doors and starts engine but there is a continuous bleeping from a box with fuses behind drivers seat

I was quoted a lot less from Alicante dealer then the £300 my local UK dealer wanted. you will need your V5 and ID and as I said the keys all come from Fiat anyway and take approx 5 days. I think it will be cheaper to solve while down here....weather poor next few days anyway

here is a tip: keys will be in the very last place you can think of if not lost..believe me!

I had an Elgato smart key for Xmas which is a module you put on your key ring and communicate via your smartphone/iPad.

Only used it once when my keys were on the desk anyway. But it beeped to tell me once Google maps had pointed to our house.

I keep spare keys in the motorhome, but always worry that someone could walk around trying the remote and identifying my vehicle before stealing it, and whether I should change the codes, if you can.

Hotels put a great big tag on their keys so that they are obvious and hard to lose. And hope that you remember to return them. I've still got a Budapest hotel ring from the 90's.

thanks for all your replies have found an english locksmith in Torrevieja who is moble talked to him via messenger at midnight last night very helpful he has asked for my chassis number and year of build and getting back to me with price his firm is called PPLAuto/locksmith costa blanca

Guest Had Enough

We have two sets of keys as do most people I assume? I carry one and my wife the other set, so if we do lose one set we're not locked out.

I went to a local pet shop and had two dog discs engraved, the kind of thing that you put on your pet's collar.

They read: Vital Keys - Please phone +44 XXXX XXXXXX A reward will be given.

One clipped to each set of keys gives me a bit of extra reassurance. Most people are honest and if anyone phoned to say they'd found them I'd give them at least £25 as a thank you. It would be worth every penny.

I keep the spare ignition key in the safe inside the MH, I carry the ignition ket and and we each carry a MH door key. Haven't lost them yet, touch wood but it's a worry isn't it?

Every so often something just disappears, most recently my set of fallback credit-card-sized things, which we left behind when we went on holiday but can't remember which safe place they were put in.

And with modern vehicles getting a spare ignition key is increasingly an expensive ordeal. Good luck in Spain!

Guest JudgeMental
I was quoted between £160 and £180 last week by london locksmiths. Like I said, neither could sourse blank in time before we left for spain.official Alicante dealer quoted 120 euro over the phone.. I think as we struggled to communicate.....

Why not contact your breakdown service? You could say you have a worrying bleep from the engine and you need the correct key to travel home. Essentially you have broken down through loss of the correct key.

While in Benidorm in the Autumn I tried to deal with a problem through self help. After a week of mucking around I contacted the breakdown service who resolved the problem within 24 hours.

Cattwg - 2015-04-08 5:42 PM

Billggski - 2015-04-07 9:10 AM

I keep spare keys in the motorhome.

Is this OK?

I thought that if you vehicle was stolen and there were keys in it then your insurance was invalid.

Cattwg :-D

Agree with you. A friend of ours, had his 4 x 4 stolen, and his wife , said that the spare key was in the pocket!! (A non driver) Had a difficult job getting the insurers to pay up. Not even sure if he did get the money

PJay

We have a set each, which is a pain sometimes as several keys on the bunch

Brian Kirby - 2015-04-08 2:52 PM

Did that include the transponder cost Colin, and its pairing, or was that extra? If extra, could you please say how much, and who did it?

If it is only £40 for a fully functioning remote locking folding key, I for one will get one now as two remote keys like you get with most normal cars is much better than one and a plain key

Did that include the transponder cost Colin, and its pairing, or was that extra? If extra, could you please say how much, and who did it?

That was for a manual key with immobilizer transponder paired to suit, it was done by Timpsons, had to wait a couple of days for the key to arrive, they did say they could not garentee it would work.

Here's my posting from last year.

Well I'm not 100% sure it's completely Fiats fault as the only dealer that came back to me with a price have previously proved to be incompatent! As nick quoted aand was related to me by a locksmith, a complete system of locks for a Pug(or was it Citreon) was around £300, but who knows?

Anyway, here's how it's done, the (one remaining) original key and transponder capsule are taken to van, the transponder is held next to key and the key is inserted into igniton, the ignition is turned on for 10secs then turned off, this is repeated three times, return to shop, place new transponder into 'Magic machine' couple of minutes later it asks for original key, this is then placed in machine, several minutes later it asks for new transponer again and once again several minutes pass, machine confirms coding is complete, it's only then that the lady would cut key as sometimes it doesn't work, then transponder is inserted into plastic moulding on end of key. I have swapped keys and started van several times to ensure all ok.

The one thing that might be different for others is that we don't have a Fiat alarm.

Tracker - 2015-04-08 7:26 PM

If it is only £40 for a fully functioning remote locking folding key, I for one will get one now as two remote keys like you get with most normal cars is much better than one and a plain key

Colin will say if I'm wrong, but my understanding is this does not apply to the remote key, only to the non-remote spare, for which the transponder is essential to unlock the immobiliser.

To explain: we have two keys, one a remote key, which is relatively bulky and heavy and has no function other than to operate the ignition lock. The other, which is the one I take Colin to be referring to, sometime called the "garage" key, has no remote functionality, but has the transponder that communicates with the immobiliser. A spare from Fiat is a loony price, but it would be better to carry than the mostly useless remote. Hence my interest.

To Colin, thank you. It seems I just need to find an accessible branch of Timpsons. To anyone not interested, apologies for the OT.

Archived