Hymer H534 or H544

nigelF

Hello,

After some advice please.

I'm on the search for a Hymer H544 (preferably) or an H534. Something similar to this one which is soon to be sold (deposit paid)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171741109323?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

My price bracket is in the same region. What should I look out for regarding this model. I do have a small caravan so I'm aware of certain things to look for, but this been my first venture into motorhome territory.

Aside from Gumtree, eBay and Autotrader, what other sites do you recommend I could search.

Regards,

Nigel

Thank you for the feedback.

Yes, Germany could be an option as planning to visit a friend in due course also. Bird, stone and all that!

My only concern is, is it going to be a hassle?

I've already read a few posts on the matter on this site. As over 6 months old and 10k mileage I should not have to pay vat? From what I gather, acquire third party insurance drive down to Cornwall the sort the rest out here? Or, am I missing something? :-S

After looking at Mobile.de my options have gone skywards! 8-) For the same money looks like I could get a MH five years younger.

I see some sites sites say 'VAT not reclaimable'?

Nigel

If you go the import route, as you have found out no VAT to worry about on S/H vans. German export plates & 3rd party insurance is compulsory, some dealers can arrange fully comp. Once on UK soil a few UK companies will insure you on the VIN number to get you home.

Ignore the statement "TVA not reclaimable" it is just the same as buying from a dealer in the UK you can't get the vat back here either.

DVLA & HMRC info here from one of the links you can get an import pack.

Importing is really easy the only hassle in the equation is DVLA, but that applies to all vehicles not just imports.

If you buy in Germany or any other country do make sure you get the original Certificate of Conformity you need this to get the VCA approval to register it.

I've imported 2 new vans from Belgium.

And don't forget you'll need to either replace or adjust (if poss) your headlights for Left Hand Traffic and most importantly you'll need to have MPH markings on your speedometer. This can easilyy be accomplished with a dial change from SuperDials in Leeds Link if not marked already.

Keith.

So pretty much this:

1. Purchase (VAT not payable on second hand MH over 6 months and 3,728 miles or 6,000 km)

2. Ensure export plates, temp insurance (3rd party), Certificate of Conformity and log book or export certificate

3. Drive back to Blighty!

4. Inspected by a garage (lights & speedo) MOT UK

5. Form* with inspection letter to DVLA

6. Register it

Does that sound right? Anything missing?

*DVLA Import Pack - Application to register an imported vehicle for use in Great Britain https://forms.dft.gov.uk/order-dvla-forms/

Would I need a dedicated motorhome MOT garage?

I can't seem to find how long I would have to get MOT (conformity) done, along with registering it?

Not sure how up to date this is, but seems the bench mark regarding info. http://www.europebycamper.com/p/import-guide_04.html

Nigel

Roughly, what are we looking at on fully comp. insurance and where best to go for that regarding a MH?

Thank you very much for your advice :-D

Here's a Uk dealer ... http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/used-motorhomes/hymer/544/1989-hymer-544-hymer-544-5-berth-diesel-cleeve-mfpa-8aa50d624c55962f014c756ba70931a0

Is there any websites/books on second hand value for MH?

Nigel

There are a few more aspects of importing used vehicles too.

DVLA currently insist that because you are a UK resident, if you bring a vehicle into UK for registration, your obligation to pay road tax on it starts the minute you reach the port of arrival, so it is illegal for you to drive it home and they suggest you have it transported instead!

There is however a special exemption from road tax if a compulsory test is necessary before registration, so just as you can (having made an appointment to prove what you are up to) drive to a garage for an MOT, you can presumablly drive at least from the port of arrival directly to a VCA location for the test and surely you could also drive home on the way, or to a garage of your choice, to get the conversion to driving on the left done.

By the way VCA apparently insist on proper conversion of the speedo to read in MPH (as the pricipal scale) these days and that conversion of the dipped headlights to left-dipping is also a proper job, not just beam deflecting stickers. DVLA will not let your register your imported vehicle (and expect you to keep it out of use) until this conversion has been done to VCA's satisfaction.

This conversion is necessary for UK registration of a vehicle, even if you intend to use it mainly on the Continent.

OK.

I'm seriously looking at getting something in Germany now. Options through mobile.de far better than here for a used Hymer. Anything here has gone as soon as it's advertised online! And like for like, a lot more bang for ones buck across the water.

From what I've read it's wise to put a deposit down with a credit card?

And if I buy privately: export plates - how and where are these available?

Regards,

Nigel

Right, here's my advanced list!

1. Purchase (VAT not payable on second hand MH over 6 months and 3,728 miles or 6,000 km) Get a receipt, TUV etc and Certificate of Conformity.

2. Drive to ADAC (German AA) and buy insurance to cover trip home (3rd party).

3. Ensure export plates. Go to the 'Zulassungsstelle' (they will need to see the vehicle and check the chassis number). Plate shop will probably be next to the 'Zulassungsstelle'?

4. Drive back to Blighty!

5. Insurance for Blighty!

5. Inspected by a garage (lights & speedo) MOT UK

6.Register the import with NOVA (online) and after the garage inspection you send that with the CofC & £100 to the VCA to get your certificate that allows to register it.

7. Form with inspection letter to DVLA. Register it.

8. Job done! :-)

Is that the definitive list or have I more to add????

Will the plates see me through to Calais and do they have automatic 3rd party insurance?

Regards,

Nigel

I've a few dealers that I'm looking at the mo and a couple of privates.

Do I need a Certificate of Conformity from the seller or is that something I sort out here?

What is a must document wise I should be getting from a seller?

And does 229,000 km seem excessive for a 1994 Hymer B 584 Caravan " Bar version " ... what ever a 'Bar Version' is?

I must say, the quality and range available is fantastic. Thanks for the direction.

Nigel

The C of C is supplied by the manufacturer when the vehicle is new, you may not get one of that age then you have to have an inspection by a gov agency may be VOSA can't remember but it's cheaper than getting a copy of a C of C if one was available.

Bar Version is just the table & chair layout.

229km is less than 7k a year.

• 2 weeks later...

The 584 is my target now.

Does the German 3rd party just cover for Germany?

So lets get this straight: If I get the plates and 3rd party, then drive back to the UK. Arrange for my insurance company then to insure MH with chassis number for my arrival in Blighty. This should do me for the trip back home????

Hi,

From what I understand the Fiat Ducato is a superior engine over the Citroen? Or is my info duff?

And would a 220,000km engine on a 1994 look to still have good life in a Ducato engine? Or spend that bit extra (eu 2000) and get a, say 150,000km 1996 instead?

The difference also between the '94 and '96 is a newer exterior design. The interiors looks exactly the same!

Nigel

:-D

Another point both those vans are of an an age where Fiat no longer carry spares and you will be relying on third party suppliers, I would suggest checking on the availability of headlamps as you will need to change them to register in the UK.

Archived