Are we completely bonkers, taking a motorhome and separate car?

Fionadb1

We are off on a little "gap year".

Do not want a caravan, do not want to two anything, so thinking to take our car and motorhome separately ......I know more expense, but really need a car, the dog hates the MH, but not just for the dog, I. Case the suggestion is to get rid of her!!!! Anyone else done this, any nightmares!!!??? Thanks so much

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fionadb1 - 2015-04-14 8:54 AM

Do not want a caravan, do not want to two anything, so thinking to take our car and motorhome separately ......I know more expense, but really need a car, the dog hates the MH, but not just for the dog, I. Case the suggestion is to get rid of her!!!! Anyone else done this, any nightmares!!!??? Thanks so much

Don't see why not.

Plenty of people take a motorhome towing a car - so why not take both separately ?

( That's assuming there won't be a problem parking it on camp sites or aires ).

;-)

It's an interesting idea and it is never the wrong thing to do if it is what suits you, plus there is nothing wrong with a bit of good old fashioned British eccentricity! I can see the benefit of parking the van and exploring in a small car, but I can also see some of the pitfalls, not the least of which is cost!

Travel in separate vehicles is much less fun due to the lack of interaction - unless you hate the sight of each other (only joking!) - and conversation, for us, does makes the day more pleasant and the miles pass quicker! Even little things like deciding when to stop become complicated not to mention routing in case of separation as following close can get very tiresome over a longer period.

Are we talking UK, or mainland Europe or further afield as there are issues of insurance, breakdown cover, extra fuel, security, two identical sat navs, to consider. Walkie talkie radios might help with communications but they will need to be hands free and I know nothing of the laws regarding such radios especially abroad.

There must be many other things to consider as well?

Not done anything as ambitious as a gap year but we do tow a small car on a trailer, which allows us to travel together, with the dog, which fortunately doesn't seem to mind the MH at all. Towing is painless and rarely do we have insufficient space or other difficulty pitching up, even using aires. Towing only adds about 20-25% to fuel consumption at most.

We don't always drag the car with us, sometimes leaving it, with trailer, parked on a site while we tour with MH alone. It works well for us.

You can also tow using an A Frame but not in Spain and perhaps also not in France and Germany these days.

Guest Had Enough

Many people scoff at motorhomes with cars on the back and trot out the same old lines; "Should have bought a caravan."

But they miss the main point, which is, that if you're going to Spain for three months in winter and will be leaving your motorhome on one site, as many do, towing a small car makes sense as you need something to get around and see the sights.

But in summer, when you want to tour Europe as we do, you can take the motorhome on its own and use it as most people do, for exploring when you'll never spend more than a few days in one place. So with a motorhome and car, you have the choice of both worlds. If you have a caravan, you're tied to towing for whatever kind of holiday you have.

We have overcome the motorhome problem (and it is a problem) by buying a motor scooter, which we'll use for exploring and nipping to the shops, but they're not for everyone and you have a dog, which rules out a scooter unless it's a small dog, as we've seen many small dogs sitting in scooter baskets.

As it happens, in September, we're going on a rally with friends and it's only about a hundred miles from home and we've already decided that my wife will drive her car as the UK weather in September may rule out the scooter.. We'll then have a car to explore the area. I don't think though that my wife would want to take her car on every trip, our last one was 3500 miles!

So to answer your question, no you're not bonkers. It's one solution that may suit you and whatever you decide to do is right for yourself.

You should however carefully consider the alternatives, which are, a motorcycle or scooter which, depending on your payload and back-axle loading, you may be able to carry on the back of your MH. The dog question can be solved by a carrier or even a small towed carrier.

You can consider towing a small car on a trailer or an A-Frame, which is probably the most popular choice, but not for me as I hate towing anything.

If you don't want to tow and the cost isn't a problem then drive a separate car, but think of the consequences, the higher cost of ferries and fuel and the loneliness of driving on your own.

Ps I think that your dog would adapt to the motorhome eventually.

As has been stated already. The expense of fuel, communicating with each other. I understand the need to have a car, but maybe a trailer? Another thing to consider if abroad, using aires, maybe not viable.

I know you say not a caravan, and you already have a MH , so really the best option is a trailer, not an A FRAME , if going to europe. Does not make sense to drive both vehicles IMO, and could be dangerous if trying to keep together. We used to travel with friends in another van, and that was difficult, and a van is easier to spot than a car

Wish you luck but do consider ALL the equations that could arise??

PJay

Guest Joe90
Assuming the OP is roaming around Europe for their gap year, and involving lots of driving possibly, it sounds like a pretty lonely business, if not for the one with the dog, but I'd assume the one without, apart from that there will be the practicalities of ensuring both vehicles are legal for the duration, on the face of it just because of a dog, I'm not a dog lover, but surely you could slowly introduce your dog to the Motorhome prior to going with some small but frequent outings. Add in the stress of trying to keeping an eye on each other when inevitably traveling through urban and city areas, with one getting stuck at traffic lights like in France for example where the lights instantly change from green to red, and vice versa, and roundabouts, road works etc possibly losing sight of one another and sorry for me it does start to sound "bonkers"

Guest JudgeMental

Yes stark raving :-D

You can hire a car for appprox £8 a day in spain....dont see the point of taking one to be honest. What with all the çhoices available....Bus, train, bike, walking and hireing all better options IMO.

Joe90 - 2015-04-14 12:53 PM

Assuming the OP is roaming around Europe for their gap year, and involving lots of driving possibly, it sounds like a pretty lonely business....//....Add in the stress of trying to keeping an eye on each other when inevitably traveling through urban and city areas, with one getting stuck at traffic lights..//.... possibly losing sight of one another....

Can't help but agree with that.

Okay, if it was only for the journey out and back, then perhaps fair enough but surely wouldn't one of the joys of something like this trip, be sharing it with your loved one...? :-S

I would find constantly watching out for them and/or trying to keep up with etc, very wearing....

I suppose they could adopt a "...we're heading for point X.. see you there.." approach?..but that doesn't sound like fun either...:-S

Keep it simple is our idea of getting around. Our unit is only 6 mtrs long but has enough space to be comfortable for us 2 and our little dog Mutley. We use our unit as a car as it gets in most car parks apart from those with height restrictions. We are new to motorhomes (only 4 years) but much prefer it to the big old Hymer caravan plus 4x4 towing it. Also for the last 4 years and 40,000 miles we have saved a small fortune by not paying so much for camping and by saving the cost of nearly 15,000 miles extra mileage. Small is best, but it does take a bit more planning so as to get the most out of your trips!! We have friends who have large rigs and a trailer plus car and find them staying on an expensive campsite for weeks at a time. May just as well tow a caravan!! But in defence of all those that do I say, good for you, if that is your dream!!

Fionadb1 - 2015-04-14 8:54 AM

Depends where you are going to spend your 'Gap Year' ? if touring Europe an A-frame to tow your car with is a no-no, that leaves a trailer, if you have the tow capacity, or as you say drive the car seperately.

If in the UK then without doubt the best route is an A-Frame, we have been using one for just over a year now,and would not be without ours. We used to Hire cars through Enterprise and the CClub, but only at weekends, as during the week they were very expensive. The A-Frame set-up has paid for it's self several times over already. Not bonkers at all, very sensible.

Ray

Guest Joe90

A couple of you folks are missing one of the main reasons for taking a car................

the dog doesn't like travel in the Motorhome, hates it apparently, guess they could trailer the car and chuck it in there though, I'm not sure of the law if one of them could also sit in there to keep it company rather than their partner in the Motorhome. 8-)

Joe90 - 2015-04-14 3:44 PM

A couple of you folks are missing one of the main reasons for taking a car................

the dog doesn't like travel in the Motorhome, hates it apparently, guess they could trailer the car and chuck it in there though, I'm not sure of the law if one of them could also sit in there to keep it company rather than their partner in the Motorhome. 8-)

Joe,

It is illegal for any person to be carried in a trailer so I'm guessing the same would apply to a car on a trailer.

Keith.

, guess they could trailer the car and chuck it in there though,

.... and I think you have missed the point that they don't want to tow anything.

;-)

Actually I'm beginning to think that anyone who goes to all that trouble and expense just to keep a dog happy may well be verging on bonkers.

:-D

Guest Joe90
malc d - 2015-04-14 4:28 PM

, guess they could trailer the car and chuck it in there though,

.... and I think you have missed the point that they don't want to tow anything.

;-)

Actually I'm beginning to think that anyone who goes to all that trouble and expense just to keep a dog happy may well be verging on bonkers.

:-D

Oh I thought it was "two" of anything, pity the dog can't tell them it's preference, although the fact it hates travel in the Motorhome, there's probably a clue in there somewhere. ;-)

If I come back as a dog I hope I'm protected against the average dog lover.

Guest pelmetman
JudgeMental - 2015-04-14 1:27 PM

Yes stark raving :-D

You can hire a car for appprox £8 a day in spain....dont see the point of taking one to be honest. What with all the çhoices available....Bus, train, bike, walking and hireing all better options IMO.

Our neighbours at Calpe hired from Alicanti airport for 3 euro's a day 8-) ............It was for 2 months though ;-) ...........

Guest peter
KeithR - 2015-04-14 9:02 PM

go in the car and use guest houses. all the freedom you want , all the togetherness you want.

For a year? get real.

Think all are missing the point. The car is not just for the dog, don't say why they need the car though. The main point surely is two vehicles trying to stay together ? I have trouble trying to stay behind OH in van, when we are taking it to our storage place, and I know where we are going (Just as well), others cars will always get between you and the traffic lights change after the first vehicle, has passed through.(AND he drives faster than me) Would not want to try to stay together , travelling about all over (Europe?)

PJay

PJay - 2015-04-14 10:52 PM

Think all are missing the point. The car is not just for the dog, don't say why they need the car though. The main point surely is two vehicles trying to stay together ? I have trouble trying to stay behind OH in van, when we are taking it to our storage place, and I know where we are going (Just as well), others cars will always get between you and the traffic lights change after the first vehicle, has passed through.(AND he drives faster than me) Would not want to try to stay together , travelling about all over (Europe?)

PJay

As it seems the basic problem is owning an inconsiderate dog, maybe the answer is to part exchange the dog for one who likes motorhomes ?

;-)

Archived