Herald Squire electrics

RobS

Hi guys.

I’m trying to diagnose a bit of a problem with the leisure side of the electrics on my 1999 HERALD SQUIRE Motorhome.

Like everyone I have a vehicle battery and a leisure battery. There is a switch on the control panel which feeds the internal electrics from either supply. When I switch to the vehicle battery all is well, and all lights and pump work OK. When I switch to the leisure battery the meter on the control panel show 12v, but as soon as I switch anything on, the meter drops to zero, and nothing works.

My initial thought was that the leisure battery needed replacing, but when I tried replacing it with the vehicle battery (which I know had a good charge) the same thing happened.

Anyone any thoughts on what might be causing the problem?

Cheers.

Rob

Rob,

I'd start with connections that are easier to access before pulling off the panel.. Battery terminals, fuses, chassis ground, etc ....

Do you have a voltmeter, if so check battery positive to chassis, fuse to chassis, etc, and then try and eliminate where the fault lies.

Keith.

Is there a fuse holder close to the battery terminal - usually about 20 to 30 amps - or is it fused anywhere else as it does sound like a lack of continuity rather than a duff battery as even a duff battery has a few volts usually.

Fuse holders deteriorate over time and connections become loose or corroded so even if a fuse is not blown does not always mean it is not the culprit.

This would prevent it charging too and if it were mine I would disconnect the battery, check it's voltage and recharge it with a decent multi stage charger.

Then again if it isn't passing any current it should not be self discharging very much either so it might be OK.

Thanks again.

I did check the fuse holder as suggested and that seemed to be passing current OK.

However there does seem to be a loss of about 3 volts between the battery and the control panel, which is going to be difficult to find - so in the spirit of procrastination I've decide to leave it until tomorrow.

Rob

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

It turned out to be a bad earth which was preventing the leisure battery from charging fully and providing sufficient power for the lights and pump.

I have to admit I had to call in the cavalry to fix it, and apart from finding the earth problem he also replaced two inline fuse holders and fuses.

£45 well spent .

Rob

Archived