What tips for weight saving

Ashpark

I guess this must have been discussed before but a search of the threads produced nothing recent. When trying to put together a decent tool kit to carry I got to thinking that it's going to pretty heavy.........especially if I take my old favourite, the persuader (a 2lb hammer ;-) )

What do you reckon are the must haves in a carried tool kit?

More generally, does anyone have tips on ways of reducing the user payload being carried (without leaving a body behind as it likely to be mine *-) ). Just seem to me, the more weight saved, the larger the allowance for wine and beer :-D

Also useful with the breakdown cover is a way of quoting the co-ordinate details of your position from your sat nav, so that when you phone back to the UK for help they can locate exactly where you are.

It certainly helped me when I had a problem on a country road in France

Rob

A lot depends on your mechanical know how and what you can fix yourself without help and whether you can get the parts you need in a foreign land.

That said most failures are aggravation value rather than terminal so for me an OBD fault code reader, digital multimeter and a selection of pliers, spanners, screwdrivers, duct tape, with a box of various screws, nuts and bolts and washers, fuses, and anything else that looks handy suffices.

And a big hammer!

Two screwdrivers, one adjustable spanner, pair pliers, duct tape, that's it. Why bother with stuff like fault code readers, sorry Rich, as knowing the fault code is not going to help you. Good breakdown cover. Weight saving is easy just throw out everything you are not likely to need.

Ashpark - 2015-04-22 4:32 PM

I guess this must have been discussed before but a search of the threads produced nothing recent. When trying to put together a decent tool kit to carry I got to thinking that it's going to pretty heavy.........especially if I take my old favourite, the persuader (a 2lb hammer ;-) )

What do you reckon are the must haves in a carried tool kit?

You've got me wondering now.

How would you fix any mechanical / electrical faults in a motorhome with a 2 LB hammer ?

( ...... cos I've never taken one, and I'm wondering if I should ).

;-)

I disagree Henry - knowing the fault code can help - as long as you also have the code explanation book!

For a start you can decide whether it is trivial and can be reset and ignored if or you feel that you need to seek advice as then knowing what the fault is makes it easier to get the right help.

Plus they only cost about a tenner and it is worth that just to get rid of the warning light!

As for Malc's big hammer - handy for awning pegs, and for temporarily straightening bent bodywork away from contact with the tyres - not that I have ever needed to which is why I carry a smaller hammer these days!

Tracker - 2015-04-22 5:03 PM

A lot depends on your mechanical know how and what you can fix yourself without help and whether you can get the parts you need in a foreign land.

That said most failures are aggravation value rather than terminal so for me an OBD fault code reader, digital multimeter and a selection of pliers, spanners, screwdrivers, duct tape, with a box of various screws, nuts and bolts and washers, fuses, and anything else that looks handy suffices.

And a big hammer!

Totally Agree with the OBD fault code reader, Mine went into 'Limp wrist mode' again after a two week stay at Newark, visiting relatives, Bloody DPF filter or sensor playing up again, after resetting it twice, on the long journey Home, the fault just 'went away', That would have cost me £60 + at a Fiat Commercial Dealer. I know this because i have been 'Bitten' before. Well worth it's cost, and it's place amongst the tool kit.

Getting really 'fed up' with 'Ultra Unreliable' Euro XX whatever number, rubbish sensors and Gizmo's.

For my next Van very tempted to 'go older' and more reliable. say Euro 0 or 1.

A salesman enthousiastically saying that 'this vehicle has a Euro 6 engine' might just get me to walk away in disgust. Ray

A club hammer would be very handy to smash the fault producing ECU into little pieces. Wouldnt fix the fault, but give a lot of satisfaction. Where can I buy a Motorhome with a simple Thornycroft 300hp Non turbo engine. ??

Guest JudgeMental
can always borrow a hammer...take out 80% of the clothes you "think" you need, buy supplies on route...amazingly Europe has supermarkets as well! :-D

Archived