Awing Sun Blockers

PJay

Can some one point me to the thread on the above, please. I thought I had saved it in favorites, but can not find it. Have you found them useful? Off to Spain in couple of weeks time, so would like to get one before we go I have looked on Fiammi site, but I thought there was another make, which may be cheaper?

PJay

..we don't have them but it seems that a few on here do...

Hopefully, they'll be along to advise as to which "configuration" has worked best for them...

(..I seem to recall someone mentioning how they'd wished that they had opted for a different sized front panel?..something about the door opening?....)

Either way, they look pretty versatile and I gather that they weigh next to nowt... :-D

Edit: Oooow!... only just looked...I thought they were cheaper than that.... :-S

I have given up motorhoming and have one front and one side in grey/blue. I'm open to offers. However, while these work brilliantly to keep out the wind they are not that effective with sun. A Fiamma sunblocker is better. I have a tatty one of these also.

And a word of warning... we bought the only 'height' available a couple of years ago and they don't fit our AT :-(

To make them reach down to the ground we have to lower the front of the awning until we then cannot open or close the door under the rafter of the awning. If you try to lift the rafter to get the door past then the end pole falls out and it all comes tumbling down!

In short a waste of money!!!

So we have a full set of 3.0 metre wide black screens with poles for sale. I'll have to double check size if anyone is interested.

Keith.

PS I now see they offer 'made to measure' but with a price to match!

Thanks Guys

When OH gets back from Golf! I will let him see this post. We only want the front screen. We do have a Fiammi safari room, which we don't use, so I suppose we could use the front of that, but it is clear, and we wanted a sun screen.(Well he does)My opinion is that we have managed for 9 years without one, not sure it's worth paying for something we will not use , as we probably will have to give up Mh in the next year of two.

PJay

PJay - 2015-04-24 8:55 AM

Can some one point me to the thread on the above, please. I thought I had saved it in favorites, but can not find it. Have you found them useful? Off to Spain in couple of weeks time, so would like to get one before we go I have looked on Fiammi site, but I thought there was another make, which may be cheaper?

PJay

Hi PJay

We bought a Fiamma Sun Blocker on Ebay a couple of years ago - it was new as the guy who had it for sale hadn't used it before giving up motorhoming and we got it for about half the normal price.

We use it a lot in our trips to France as it certainly helps with the very hot sun. It doesn't reach right down to the ground but that is not its intention - you just peg it out at an angle. It also gives you a bit of privacy when you are eating if you want it. It is easy to put up and fairly light and packs up to a reasonable size. We reckon it is a worthwhile accessory.

Alan

PJay Hi

We have one of these which has an awning bead which threads into the leading edge of our omnistor wind out awning. You can use it with the wind out awning in or out.

We find it very useful.

You do have to be carefull when the wind gets up as it acts like a spinaker! Takes about 5 mins to erect so its not a problem to take it off at night, indeed if you unthread it and peg down the beaded edge it is like a regular tent so table chairs etc can be put inside.

http://www.outdoor-revolution.com/easi-canopi.html

Guest pelmetman

Hi PJ,

We had the sunblockers sides and front with a gap for access.........that gap let in a lot of draught 8-) .............So I had another front made to my spec with an overlap in the centre...........makes it fully enclosed, and also proved quite useful against the monster mozzies in the Dordognie a few years back :D .......

P1000223web.jpg.d87ba86f647d1c804f2ed13e8b55e6c0.jpg

PJay - 2015-04-24 5:22 PM

Dave,

What make are your blockers? We only want a front panel. (We do have a Safari Room, if we wanted total cover) What colour would be best? We've seen mainly white ones.

The above picture shows a windblocker and not a sunblocker. A windblocker does not block out the sun which, if I understand your post, is what you want. I have tried windblockers in a hot climate and, while they work for wind, they do not for sun.

In hot climates I use a Fiamma sunblocker. It is like a heavy duty netting with a plasticised coat. Though expensive they work very well and give privacy. I wouldn't be without one.

In short, a sunblocker blocks out the sun and a windblocker blocks out wind.

Mike88 - 2015-04-24 5:27 PM

Dave,

What make are your blockers? We only want a front panel. (We do have a Safari Room, if we wanted total cover) What colour would be best? We've seen mainly white ones.

The above picture shows a windblocker and not a sunblocker. A windblocker does not block out the sun which, if I understand your post, is what you want. I have tried windblockers in a hot climate and, while they work for wind, they do not for sun.

In hot climates I use a Fiamma sunblocker. It is like a heavy duty netting with a plasticised coat. Though expensive they work very well and give privacy. I wouldn't be without one.

Thanks Mike

Yes we want a SUN blocker not wind, I must make sure I look at the right thing

Guest pelmetman
PJay - 2015-04-24 5:37 PM

Mike88 - 2015-04-24 5:27 PM

Dave,

Thanks Mike

Yes we want a SUN blocker not wind, I must make sure I look at the right thing

Mike is correct, ours are called Windblockers, and they don't bloke out the sun, although they do filter it ;-) .............

We have an old nylon shower curtain which we add over the top when the sun is too intense :D .......

Hello Mike, just wondering if you are selling the fiamma sunblockerb you mentioned in the forum.? If you are can you give me a few more details please. Length, condition (photo if possible) and cost. Sounds like something useful.

Thanks

Chris

chris - 2015-04-26 6:52 PM

Hello Mike, just wondering if you are selling the fiamma sunblockerb you mentioned in the forum.? If you are can you give me a few more details please. Length, condition (photo if possible) and cost. Sounds like something useful.

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

Yes I'm happy to sell my Fiamma Sunblocker. The dimensions are width 3 metres by 1.5 metres high. The Sunblocker slides into the channel of either a Fiamma or Thule/Omnistor awning. I have used on both makes.

I should point out that my sunblocker is well worn, discoloured and in not that great condition as it has been well used in Spain. Here is a picture of a Fiamma Sunblocker sold by John's Cross:

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-blocker.html

As you will see these things, though effective, don't come cheap.

If you are interested, I would happily send it to you so you can decide whether to have it for say £12 plus postage. If you don't want it you can return it to me conditional on you paying the postage.

PM me with your details if you want to take it further.

we have the FIamma sun blocker front, and wind blocker sides,and use them all in various configurations.

The front sunblocker is, as stated previously, not intended to reach the ground, and is very useful at an angle, where it blocks the sun but lets air through for ventilation. If the weather not so good, we can hang it straight down, and peg it accordingly, and that gives us privacy and protection within the awning, especially if the sides are in as well.

If, like us, you have one the full length of the awning, and also use the sides, then there is minor difficulty with entry, but we just loosen of one of the tiedowns, and it eases access. If wet, it also reduces any rain which would otherwise go into the awning itself- very useful if we are eating in the awning

Do make sure you order the SUNBLOCKER though, . as the windblocker sides are a totally different product. one thing we do find, though, is that even without the sides in, the poles from which they hang we tend to put in anyway, and they have a good steadying effect on the awning.

Hi Pete.

We bought one last year and used it as a sun blocker in the Autumn heat of France. Brilliant. In Yorkshire Dales it even kept the rain away from the sliding door on damp days. Off tomorrow and got it packed for Greek sunshine

We have a side panel but don't find it as useful as we thought. Have a good trip, Delfy Daf

This company may be able to help

http://www.funkyleisure.co.uk/vw-campervan-awningsun-canopy---brilliant-orange-1651-p.asp

Worth a call if they sell canopy only without the poles ??

Extraxt "they also have 6mm piping (Kador Strip) sewn along the fabric edge offering an alternative methods for attaching them to a vehicle.£ which may fit the Wind-out Awning channel.

Mike88 - 2015-04-26 7:23 PM

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

Yes I'm happy to sell my Fiamma Sunblocker. The dimensions are width 3 metres by 1.5 metres high. The Sunblocker slides into the channel of either a Fiamma or Thule/Omnistor awning. I have used on both makes.

I should point out that my sunblocker is well worn, discoloured and in not that great condition as it has been well used in Spain. Here is a picture of a Fiamma Sunblocker sold by John's Cross:

If you are interested, I would happily send it to you so you can decide whether to have it for say £12 plus postage. If you don't want it you can return it to me conditional on you paying the postage.

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info re JohnsCRoss. I have just ordered one from them, for delivery by Wednesday. Good work

P

PJay - 2015-04-27 9:41 AM

Mike88 - 2015-04-26 7:23 PM

Thanks

Chris

Hi Chris

Hi Mike

Thanks for the info re JohnsCRoss. I have just ordered one from them, for delivery by Wednesday. Good work

P

Hi PJ.

I've just been looking again at the link I provided and I'm now not sure whether the link is the correct one. It looks to me as though the "Blocker" in the link is a solid panel and the thing I have, although called a blocker when I purchased it many years ago, may now be called a sunshade which blocks out sun but enables you to see through it. It resembles netting with a plastic coating. John's Cross sell this which might be the one I have:

http://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/fiamma-sun-view-xl.html

For peace of mind it might be checking with John's Cross.

Sorry for any confusion which may have been caused.

Archived