Hymer 584

nigelF

Hi,

Any recommendations on questions to a seller on what I can ask regarding a Hymer 584 (Germany) ... what to look out for etc?

Now I'll need to change the headlights when back in Blighty ... where do I look or find these please?

Nigel

You could try eBay or the likes for headlamps but I gather they can be rather expensive :-(

And don't forget the speedo will need an MPH scale as well. Adding bits of Dymo tape is no longer allowed but you can get a new overlay from Lockwood International Superdials Link.

Keith.

Asking questions of the seller is like asking how long a piece of string is. The most important things are what you see, hear, smell and touch.

What you can see is obvious, what you can hear is engine including a test drive:- noises from on start, idle and acceleration; on caravan:- creaky floors, shower trays, from anywhere when walking about van and when traveling.

Smell a stale musty or damp smell.

Touch get into every corner and round all vents for spongieness to ensure no damp present.

Tyres exhaust brakes clutch performance all require checking.

These are starting points I am sure there are others who may be more explicit and will add their info as well

Hymers which have four-inch circular headlamps recessed into the front of the MH can often be adjusted for driving on the left simply by loosening retaining bolts on the back and rotating the lamp in the housing - so you can set them for left, right or vertical dip. (It's easier to remove the front bumper to reach these bolts.)

Those with have square (pre-1995) or moulded ([ost 2007) headlamps need replacement units, which can be difficult to source and/or expensive.

Thanks for that.

It will probably be a Fiat Ducato 1994 model if I get the German dealer on my side! Had also looked at the newer whiter model (1995 onwards I think?), but really am enamored by the older design. the interior is the same though. 145,000 miles on the clock but these things will do double that and more :-)

Even spending £10000 ish there is still a difference of £1500 to £2000 over similar UK second hand sales!

Insurance for a MH. Is there MH brokers etc?

Archived