which alarm or tracker.

tringy

Hi more advise needed please.our insurnce company have said to us we must have a cat 1 thatcham alarm or a cat 5 tracker fitted before they can insure our motor home thats on order.(safegard insurance) please could anyone shed some light on companies and what I might have to pay for these.regards Tringy

Suggestion - try another insurance company.

Even if the premiums are slightly higher but you can avoid the fitting and maintenance charges for an alarm or tracker you will be quids in without all the hassle.

My opinion for what it's worth!

Keith.

We're getting a new MH next week and have been looking for an alarm system, after much ringing around/research, we've bought a Toad Ai606 (new model and more robust than the older ones) and have arranged for a local mobile vehicle electrician/alarm fitter to put it on for us - it is his normal work but he suggested getting the kit ourselves from Ebay as it's cheaper than he could get it for! All in it should be no more than £220 fitted ... about 60% cheaper than going to well known MH alarm fitters!

It has saved us about £18 on our insurance premium but that's not the reason we want it - it's because we wild camp or use aires so having it on means we will have some more security on a night time and when we leave the van during the day and take the dogs out with us.

As for a Tracker ... a very, very expensive way to 'fleece' people in my view due to the continual yearly costs!

When we got our 2013 van I was surprised it didn't have a factory fitted alarm, just a Tracker retrieve , we paid to extend the three months they give you free to 5 years, we also went to VanBlitz Strike Back fitted it cost us about £200 fitted , we stayed overnight at their site.

We did have this same alarm fitted on our last van and have never had any problems with it at all.

Guest peter
tonyg3nwl - 2015-04-29 3:17 PM

We have cat 1 alarm by Gemini, could be worth googling for them.

tonyg3nwl.

We have a Gemini as well, but it's a 2-1 as our van already has a immobiliser fitted.

Thanks all, your advice well taken.i am going to plumb for an alarm it looks the cheapest option and more security for us when using the van.l have an old friend that I just found out that he fits alarms and tow bars for a living and will give me a good deal.we and he lives in the Luton area if anyone is interested in a quote. Thanks again.Tringy.

maggyd - 2015-04-29 10:11 PM

When we got our 2013 van I was surprised it didn't have a factory fitted alarm, just a Tracker retrieve , we paid to extend the three months they give you free to 5 years, we also went to VanBlitz Strike Back fitted it cost us about £200 fitted , we stayed overnight at their site.

We did have this same alarm fitted on our last van and have never had any problems with it at all.

Only £200 for a VB Strikeback alarm ... are you sure Maggy ... they're currently £599 on the VB site!

Keithl - 2015-04-29 4:26 PM

Suggestion - try another insurance company.

Even if the premiums are slightly higher but you can avoid the fitting and maintenance charges for an alarm or tracker you will be quids in without all the hassle.

My opinion for what it's worth!

Keith.

I agree with this. I'd also talk to the company, and ask if there are alternative ways to satisfy their requirements (security locks etc.).

Crowded place, alarm goes off, what happens? People just walk on by. The assumption? It set itself off. Isolated place, alarm goes off. Who hears, so who reacts?

If someone is actually seen breaking in, what then? Intervene? Remotely possible, IMO, for fear of violent retaliation. Phone the police? Response time? Intruder probably long gone by the time they arrive.

But, before the alarm triggers, a door or window will have been forced. So, damage already done, and repair cost inevitable.

Theft of contents averted? Possible, but not guaranteed.

So what valuables do you leave in your van when it is unattended, whether alarmed or not? Passports, wallets, cards etc. should, IMO, always go with you. Ditto phones, and cameras - esp. if valuable. Computers? Tuck out of sight, but be prepared to lose them. Leave no trackable, personal, details on them, and don't take new and expensive ones. Back everything up to USB drive or SD card and conceal in van, or take with you. Then, if it/they get nicked you have the important stuff via the backup, and can relatively easily re-load onto a replacement as and when you get one.

But, above all, don't leave your van where it is vulnerable. They are not that difficult to break into, and although thieves may not be the brightest or most rational individuals, they aren't totally daft either. They just want in and out as quickly and unobtrusively as possible, and care not how much damage they do in the process.

We imagine how we might rob a van, and then what might put us off trying. But, we aren't thieves, so don't think in the right way. It is a soft, easy, target, with easy pickings inside once in, especially if left lying around and visible.

Then, as above, look hard for an insurance company that doesn't require an alarm! The requirement will in any case only persist until the van's value drops below the insurer's threshold. How rational is that? Same van, same contents, but now cheap enough to insure without an alarm. Ever after, you will have a van with an alarm that will be come more unreliable as time passes. At least it will if my experience is anything to go by. Spawn of the Devil, I say! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2015-05-01 4:51 PM

Crowded place, alarm goes off, what happens?

Unless it's 3 am on a crowded campsite and then EVERYBODY looks and curses >:-( >:-( >:-(

We've had it a couple of times on campsites and it really is annoying! Especially when the half dressed owner is doing their utmost to shut it off :D

PS Tringy, check with your insurer that they will accept both the alarm you plan on having fitted and your mate as fitter before spending any money. They may have strict stipulations on both alarm and fitter.

Keithl - 2015-05-01 5:33 PM

Brian Kirby - 2015-05-01 4:51 PM

Crowded place, alarm goes off, what happens?

Unless it's 3 am on a crowded campsite and then EVERYBODY looks and curses >:-( >:-( >:-(

We've had it a couple of times on campsites and it really is annoying! Especially when the half dressed owner is doing their utmost to shut it off :D.............

I'll buy that Keith! But then, who on earth sets the alarm on a campsite? Are these folk paranoid, or just going to the wrong types of campsites? :-D

Brian Kirby - 2015-05-01 10:38 PM

I'll buy that Keith! But then, who on earth sets the alarm on a campsite? Are these folk paranoid, or just going to the wrong types of campsites? :-D

...surely, not quite as simple as that, Brian.

I've never yet had an alarm on a 'van (though that may be about to change), but for some time on my cars, the alarm arms automatically on locking - and it does on many aftermarket motorhome alarms.

I suspect most people lock their vehicle when they are sleeping in it, even on the safest of campsites, let alone the gas-bandit infested motorway aires (and thus also set the alarm).

....of course, if one forgets at the same time to inhibit any internal sensors............ :-S

I'm with Brian. Never had an alarm. Never seen the point. Its easy to make an impressive tracker label to fix in the window. I produced a small one in 3 languages & phone numbers. Display a Rottweiler picture. And finally change Insurers who only add on their percentage.

Will

Mel B - 2015-04-30 10:30 PM

maggyd - 2015-04-29 10:11 PM

Only £200 for a VB Strikeback alarm ... are you sure Maggy ... they're currently £599 on the VB site!

Yes Mel I was wrong apparently! That's me though Airhead !

Robinhood - 2015-05-01 10:51 PM.................surely, not quite as simple as that, Brian.

I've never yet had an alarm on a 'van (though that may be about to change), but for some time on my cars, the alarm arms automatically on locking - and it does on many aftermarket motorhome alarms.

I suspect most people lock their vehicle when they are sleeping in it, even on the safest of campsites, let alone the gas-bandit infested motorway aires (and thus also set the alarm).

....of course, if one forgets at the same time to inhibit any internal sensors............ :-S

You could well be right, Robin. But then, with all due respect to those so afflicted, they should have bought a proper motorhome alarm - that doesn't arm automatically! Caveat emptor? :-)

Brian Kirby - 2015-05-02 4:50 PM

Robinhood - 2015-05-01 10:51 PM.................surely, not quite as simple as that, Brian.

You could well be right, Robin. But then, with all due respect to those so afflicted, they should have bought a proper motorhome alarm - that doesn't arm automatically! Caveat emptor? :-)

I genuinely think if I had an alarm, I would rather have one that armed/disarmed via the vehicle remote being used to lock or unlock the doors.

This becomes more and more relevant for motorhomes as the habitation door is also more commonly incorporated into this circuit.

The integration makes the whole thing much more foolproof (IMO) and should be part of a "proper" motorhome alarm.

The only downside might be the failure to disarm any internal sensors if locking from inside the van, prior to settling down for the night.

On the other hand, if the alarm is armed/disarmed separately from any central locking, then the major risk is not disarming the alarm before entering the vehicle.

I think the latter would be worse, but in any case, rather than caveat emptor, the appropriate phrase would be "operator erroris". (or in some cases, "Chinese stercore")

;-)

Archived