How do I clean out all my tanks properly? Assistance please!

Fionadb1

good morning everyone :-)

We are now proud owners of our new motorhome (it isn't but to us it is!) I have noticed some limescale around the taps, and on the flap thing in the toilet, the round thing, which slides to open it. Methinks therefore there is limescale in entire water system and on the water heating elements. I do not want this in my life or van! Any ideas of a safe way to do this, obviously gallons of Viakal is not the answer!

Thanks so much all help appreciated, by the way 2009 B Hymer 675sl.

Don't get too parnoid about it, and be careful what you use in the way of chemicals to clean your systems out. Even Milton has been criticised because it can attack the stainless steel inside boilers.

You can strip and clean your Thetford toilette cassette slide and valve or replace it with a new one if you wish or you can treat yourself to a new one because Thetford sell a special bargain kit for folk who want a fresh start with a used motorhome.

Flushing your fresh water tank with clean water should be sufficient and you can remove limescale from taps etc using a vinegar solution. the shower had for example can be dipped into a mug of vinegary water.

To clean the waste tank, put plenty of hot water in there accompanied by some some washing up liquid, then go for a drive around lost of crners, then drain out.

You don't say if this is a private buy, but from whoever I view it as not very pleasant to be faced with another's unclean items. I have always cleaned the toilet slider mechanism and the flexible seal back to new every 12 months and on most occasions it required dismantling and scraping with a blunt instrument.

Will

As an alternative for the Waste Tank, a few 2 litre bottles of the cheapest Cola works well. I have also used Washing machine tablets. These are useful for when touring, if a nasty whiff suddenly becomes noticeable.

As previously mentioned Milton or any other Chlorine based product is best avoided for the fresh water system. Brewer's Steriliser (from chemist's or home brew shops) is usually safe.

Guest pelmetman
Will85 - 2015-05-04 11:40 AM

You don't say if this is a private buy, but from whoever I view it as not very pleasant to be faced with another's unclean items. I have always cleaned the toilet slider mechanism and the flexible seal back to new every 12 months and on most occasions it required dismantling and scraping with a blunt instrument.

Will

I must get around to doing mine one day :D ...............

As mentioned earlier a few cans or bottles of cheap Cola will get the waste tank clean and for a good way to maintain both fresh and grey water tanks try the tablets Zappy supplies at – www.zappysblog.co.uk

For those of a less delicate nature the stripping down of the Thetford cassette and its internal cleaning is a task that is both satisfying and essential as the cassette grows older.

Obviously the cleaning is easy work for your other half and she/he should be encouraged to participate in this task as soon as possible after acquiring the Motorhome while you do the hard jobs such as tuning the radio.

Archived