Which motor oil?

spike

Hi,

I usually change the oil and filter annually even though mileage is very low.

The oil that I use is Halfords 10w/40 Part synthetic for diesel engines, however I now find that that this particular oil is no longer available and has been replaced with Halfords 10w/40 Part synthetic for petrol and diesel cars and I wonder if this suitable for the MH? It’s the Fiat Ducato 1.9 engine JTD 2004.

I would appreciate your advice.

I would think that the replacement oil is probably the same stuff, they can obviously sell more if it is marked for petrol and diesel.

Halfords have a very good reference book and they should be able to tell you exactly what is best for your engine, I think the 10/40 grade is correct and semi synth is better than mineral oil any time.

H

I would be a teeny weeny bit wary of selecting your oil from websites like Halfords, Euro Car Parts etc. Double check elsewhere first.

If you have an old container of your regular oil, there will be a specification of different categories on it. This link might help.

http://www.driverstechnology.co.uk/oils.htm

Make sure everything matches up or exceeds the original spec. A semi-synthetic 10W/40 was OK for the 52 reg Ducato 2.8 jtd I used to own.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived