bike batteries

Pete-B

I see you got your Carthago Chris, you kept that quiet.

Just got e-bikes, bloody things knackering me, doesn't make cycling any easier just go twice as far, twice as quick & up hills I wouldn't even think of going near before and only had it a couple of weeks.

Must admit it is fun going flat out along the sea front straight into a force 8 gale and leaving mere mortal cyclists for dust. :D

shortcircuit - 2015-05-11 6:26 PM

Surely the 100km range must depend on the terrain and the amount of pedalling?

Chris did say on Eco setting, yes it does depend on the amount of effort with a pedelec the harder you peddle the more assistance the motor provides. A fully charged battery on mine gives estimated range on Eco of 95 miles, Turbo 35 miles.

Talking to other Bosch users they reckon in Turbo mode 35 - 40 miles, using a mix of Eco & Tour 60- 70 miles.

Surely the terrain is the most important part as with pedalling. I travelled about 25 miles on relatively flat route with juice left. In the local hills here there is no way I would achieve the 25 miles.

Again the weight of the cyclist is also relevant.

Perhaps there should be a standard bikes should be measured to, carrying a specific weight over a flat surface and not left to some fanciful fictitious figures invented to creat sales.

sshortcircuit - 2015-05-11 8:44 PM

Surely simple calculations will tell you that the energy needed to transport an 18 stone man will be a lot more than to transport a 10 stone man, so how figures are quoted is beyond me as a battery can only give out a certain amount of energy?

The words "Up To" springs to mind, very relevant for electric bikes.

Archived