manual switching gas bottles

jdogg

this is my first time posting on this forum so hello all.

i'm new to motorhoming and learning as i go. i've been living in my 1992 Tabart FFB Classic 570 for a month now and have a query that i can't find the answer to elsewhere. hopefully someone here can help me out.

i have a 6kg calor propane bottle in my motorhome but i'm in france at the moment and need more gas for when my calor runs out. i've purchased a butagaz le cube propane bottle and another regulator to fit it. so i have 2 propane bottles each with a regulator. my question is... can i connect both regulators to the motorhome via a T piece and manually turn on/off the gas bottles without gas leaking out of the breather hole in the regulator that is off? i am assuming that the regulators have a non return valve inside them between the breather hole and the output but to be honest i don't know how they function. i want to use a T piece so that i don't have to disconnect the flexible tube often and risk damaging it. can someone confirm that this is safe to do? maybe it would be best to not bother with the T piece and just have 1 bottle connected to the motorhome at once. whatever advice you can provide would be appreciated.

thanks.

/ john

Yes you can is the short answer.

I basically had this setup in my last van with an Alugas refillable and a standard 11 Kg exchange bottle.

The Alugas had its own regulator and the other bottle had a 37 mbar bottle mounted regulator. I just used a tee piece and flexible low pressure hose to connect them. The refillable bottle was never touched and I rarely had to change the exchange bottle as it was my backup supply only.

If you have an external BBQ point fitted to your van, you can also supply gas INTO your van through a gas bottle (with a bottle mounted regulator fitted) and length of low pressure hose. I only mention this because it means you can get a gas bottle type which is local to the country you are in and use it that way.

My advice would be to get a local bottle, complete with the correct regulator anyway.

Thanks for the advice 747. I figured it would be fine but just wanted someone else's input. I have gone ahead with it and it works fine. I'm going to try to attach a photo of it.

Keith, the link you provided doesn't seem to work but thanks anyway. You're probably right but it's hard for me to get hold of stuff at the moment.

Ah yes. If I'd known about that and been able to get one delivered I probably would pay 27 bucks for it but I'll just stick with what I have now since I don't have a fixed address and finding stuff like that in france is prooving to be difficult. The advantage of what you linked to would be that it would be impossible to have both gas supplies turned on at the same time. I will just be extra careful to make sure only 1 is turned on at once.

Archived