May be a silly question?

ad12345

Hi everyone. I am thinking of buying our first motorhome / camper van in the next few months, I have a question that may seem silly, but what are the laws on where you can stay in you motorhome overnight, can you just park up by a nice beach or do you have to go to a camp site.

Are there laws on sleeping in a MH in a public place.

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks

There are a lot more silly questions on here than that :-D Seriously, there is no questions that are considered silly, we all had to start at sometime.

In the UK excluding Scotland ( why don't we have a referendum to see if we want to allow them to stay?) you can park overnight anywhere where it doesn't say you can't, note the use of the word "park" not camp, you just have to be sensible where you park, I do it from time to time but only for a night usually.

In Scotland you can park up anywhere sensible unless there are restrictions, and there are some now around the more popular places.

Many of us go abroad where it all becomes so much easier, and the sun shines a lot more!

France is motorhome heaven, loads of small "Aires de CampingCar" all over France, many are free some charge €3 up to €12 per night. Spain has some similar Aires but wild camping is tolerated in many seaside and other places. Portugal is also motorhome friendly with new Aires being opened all the time.

Germany has "Stellplatz" Italy has "Sostas" and so on, there are even 3 or 4 in England now!

There are several books that list the places to go, the one I use is "Camperstop Europe" a bit pricey but well worth it. Vicarious Books (do a google) has lots of books.

Think carefully about what you buy, make a list of what you want in a motorhome and most importantly have any M/H you are interested in properly checked by an expert for DAMP. They do leak.

Ask away with questions, we like questions.

Give us a clue as to what you are considering buying, someone on here may have first hand experience of it.

H

Welcome.

Country pubs are increasingly becoming available for overnight stops if you drink or eat there. Britstops publish a list each year, but just phoning a pub may get a positive response. Some motorhome forums share friendly pub sites.

The UK isn't well set up for free overnight parking, there are a number of popular sites that have been abused by inconsiderate motor homers.

Search Aberystwith, Dover, Whitby and so on this forum to see what is happening.

Hi Thank you for your answers so far, sheds some light.

With regard to what I am looking for, I am still not sure, I am thinking a panel van based MH rather than coachbuilt, would I be right in thinking a panel van based MH would be less prone to damp than a coachbuilt one?

Also, I cannot understand why panel van based MH's are more expensive than coachbuilt MH's can anyone explain.

Many thanks

ad12345 - 2015-05-18 3:55 PM

Also, I cannot understand why panel van based MH's are more expensive than coachbuilt MH's can anyone explain.

Many thanks

Roughly speaking, the innards of a coachbuilt are assembled on a base ( by a number of people) and the walls added afterwards.

Inside panel vans only one or two people can work at a time fitting the innards to the bodywork - so takes longer.

;-)

You are right in thinking a panel van is far less prone to damp than a coachbuilt. Indeed the only likely areas of ingress are around the windows and rooflights. However, even then, as the structure is metal and not the absorbant material used in coachbuilts, the damage and cost of repairs will be far far less. I have not heard of any panel van with water ingress issues.

Thank you for all of your answers so far, they have been helpful.

I am finding this forum very informative.

Ii has been suggested to me , that as this is our first foray into MH's, that it would be wise to buy something like a converted Mazda Bongo to start with and use it for a year or so to see if motorhoming is for us, then sell it and trade up to a proper MH, what are your thoughts / experiences with this?

Many thanks

A Bongo is a decent vehicle but is more of a day van than a motorhome. The issue many would have with Bongos is the toilet arrangements - there aren't any so that might colour your initial experiences of motorhoming and might put you off a pastime you otherwise might enjoy.

Mike88 - 2015-05-20 11:42 AM

A Bongo is a decent vehicle but is more of a day van than a motorhome. The issue many would have with Bongos is the toilet arrangements - there aren't any so that might colour your initial experiences of motorhoming and might put you off a pastime you otherwise might enjoy.

I'd agree with Mike.

To get a first motorhome, without toilet facilities would rather limit your independence - which is to my mind the main benefit of having one.

;-)

We had a VW T4 with portaloo and not even a pop-top which we did 3 week trips in. After 8 years we added a hi-top and then when the London emissions caught us we got a Cavarno...same length as the VW but with a toilet cubicle. You can work around the reduced facilities and have the advantage that you can use it as a second car.

At least then you'll know how big a van you need to survive in and do what you want. I would go with the Bongo.....and it is less likely to have problems than a coachbuilt.

Thank you all very much for your replies.

I think I am inclined to go for a Bongo or similar to get the feel for it, staying away for a few nights at a time, I'm not too bothered about the toilet, I can always use a pub loo ( excuse for a pint at the same time).

If anyone can think of anything else I should consider, I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks

Guest pelmetman
ad12345 - 2015-05-20 2:25 PM

Thank you all very much for your replies.

I think I am inclined to go for a Bongo or similar to get the feel for it, staying away for a few nights at a time, I'm not too bothered about the toilet, I can always use a pub loo ( excuse for a pint at the same time).

If anyone can think of anything else I should consider, I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks

A bucket and some heavy duty bin bags for when the pub is closed ;-) .............

Or a Porta Potti if you wish to be posh :D ...........

malc d - 2015-05-20 11:54 AM

Mike88 - 2015-05-20 11:42 AM

I'd agree with Mike.

To get a first motorhome, without toilet facilities would rather limit your independence - which is to my mind the main benefit of having one.

;-)

Malc D - Are you saying the main benefit of having a motorhome, is to have your own personal toilet to take around with you?? :-D

Thanks for all of your replies, I think I will go the Bongo type vehicle route for starters, any advice on what I should look for< willing to spend up to 10k.

Many thanks

I'd agree with Mike.

;-)

ad12345

Malc D - Are you saying the main benefit of having a motorhome, is to have your own personal toilet to take around with you?? :-D

Many thanks

No sir, I'm not.

I'm saying that the main benefit of having a TOILET in YOUR MOTORHOME is that you are more independent.

You can stop where / when you like ( if it's legal ! ) without worrying about where the next " facilities " are.

I certainly noticed the benefit immediately when I gave up touring with a tent and bought a motorhome with onboard facilities.

Enjoy your touring, whatever you choose.

;-)

Thanks Malc , I must have read it wrongly ;-)

And once again thank you for all of the replies,they have really helped my decision, I will report back when I brought something - I'm sure I will have a lot more questions.

Many thanks

ad12345 - 2015-05-21 3:20 PM

... I will report back when I brought something - I'm sure I will have a lot more questions.

Adam,

Don't leave it until you've brought one, come back and ask opinions on what you are looking at before you buy.

Forum members will point you in the right direction as to what to look out for on specific models, both good and bad! There is a wealth of knowledge out here.

And I agree with earlier comments re loo's on board, if we had bought one without we would have given up long ago. We regularly pull over into a layby or rest stop to go! It's so convenient having everything 'to hand'.

Keith.

Another point to mention is that the insulation qualities in a Bongo are non existent meaning the thing will be boiling hot in the summer and freezing in winter. Any vehicle you buy will possibly/probably have in excess of 100000 miles on the clock as they are Japanese imports and ,given that Japanese cars spend much of their time ticking over in traffic, their reliability might be questionable so I would research the availability of spares.

just a few things you should know about Bongo,s before you buy one

As these are "imports", you will probably pay a lot more for Insurance.

The Diesel ones are prone to engine problems"overheating"

You will probably have trouble px-ing one if you decide to upgrade, as dealers dont know how to price them, as they dont appear in any books, etc.

I have had a Bongo myself, and they are easy and nice to drive, easy to park etc, but they have too much glass, would be very cold to sleep in,

I would advise you to go for a van type converted one, preferably a VW, which would maintain its value better

Again thanks all for the replies.

I would be looking at a petrol Bongo from about 2000 - 2006, I have seen fresh imports with less than 60k, are there any problems I should look out for.

With regard to suggesting a VW over a Bongo, would a VW not have the same lack of insulation.

Many thanks

ad12345 - 2015-05-27 9:30 AM

Again thanks all for the replies.

I would be looking at a petrol Bongo from about 2000 - 2006, I have seen fresh imports with less than 60k, are there any problems I should look out for.

With regard to suggesting a VW over a Bongo, would a VW not have the same lack of insulation.

Many thanks

As Bongos are basically people carriers (which may or may not have had some furniture kits installed) I would've thought their insulation would be minimal.

(I doubt anyone "converting" a Bongo would start by going to the trouble of stripping out all of the interior in order to insulate it..but if looking at a conversion, it's a question I'd ask)

Having said that, I wouldn't expect a VW - windowed-from-the-factory- mini-bus type of vehicle to be much better. Although a VW van that has been properly converted, SHOULD at least have had some attention paid to the panel cavity but again, there is no guarantee of it's quality or effectiveness.

Presumably you've checked out/ asked on the Bongo Fury site?

http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/bongo.htm

ad12345 - 2015-05-27 9:30 AM

Many thanks

That depends. In my case I bought a VW window van, so only one window each side in the rear, and had it insulated throughout so it was not too hard to keep warm. I think some of the ready-made conversions are insulated but they have more glass.

Archived