Calais aire or cite-europe

davidmac

hallii - 2015-05-23 10:56 AM

After having some poor, misunderstood, and desperate immigrant attempt to steal my bikes off the back I no longer stay on Calais docks or anywhere around Calais.

Plenty of places not to far away.

H

I have the same feelings in UK service stations, with to many dodgy characters about, so limit my stops to refuelling only. :-D

Guest Joe90
We've actually just come over to France, the scenes we saw leaving Calais port were like nothing we have seen before, lorries backed up for miles attempting to enter the port, with literally swarms of obviously very desperate people attempting to get on the trucks in broad daylight, the Police although in huge numbers appeared to be completely out numbered, and losing the battle. Add in the brand new high perimeter fencing currently going up it makes you wonder what exactly can be done. Never once felt unsafe in France, but we were happy to get out of there on this occasion, and whilst we've sometimes over nighted nearby but that's something after seeing these truly unbelievable scenes the further away from either Calais, or Dunkirk the better.

Guest JudgeMental
we always fill up at Auchan supermarket when we arrive and before we leave. Last week after filling and driving along te adjacent road.there were literally 100's of these lads strolling along in small groups casually. I dont think the situation improving anytime soon! 8-)

Hi .Le Mans is my destination.The ferry docks at 01.45 Tuesday morning so the plan is just a few hours sleep fill up with fuel at Auchan and be on my way by 8.00, hoping to get to Le Mans 14.00-15.00. Leave Le Mans by 10.00 Monday after the race,do a bit of shopping at Leclerc in Boulonge ,20.00 ferry ,home soon after midnight. Just hoping the wife dosen't get the locks changed while I'm away.

Regards David

P.S probably easy to see when I get there But what part of the car park do the motorhomes use.

Guest Joe90
Charles - 2015-05-23 6:14 PM

We always use cite europe. Never had a problem, there's other vans there and plenty of room. The refugees are more interested in HGVs.

Well perhaps when they twig that usually older people with valuables, cash, and food are the usual occupants of motorhomes they may well become a target, after all the only reason they are interested in the lorries is for a lift, a few quid in their pockets and some grub in their belly nicked from a motorhome may be worth a punt, these are increasingly desperate people and there are thousands of them now, so good luck to anyone staying at Cite Europe, in an almost deserted car park whilst Calais is experiencing these hitherto unknown amounts of very desperate people.

Joe90 - 2015-05-23 9:05 PM

We always use cite europe. Never had a problem, there's other vans there and plenty of room. The refugees are more interested in HGVs.

Well perhaps when they twig that usually older people with valuables, cash, and food are the usual occupants of motorhomes they may well become a target, after all the only reason they are interested in the lorries is for a lift, a few quid in their pockets and some grub in their belly nicked from a motorhome may be worth a punt, these are increasingly desperate people and there are thousands of them now, so good luck to anyone staying at Cite Europe, in an almost deserted car park whilst Calais is experiencing these hitherto unknown amounts of very desperate people.

Do you have actual experience or is all this just supposition? Afraid my actual experience has no relation to your account

Guest JudgeMental

Well no....my mate ended up with 2 hidden under his bike rack cover..only discovered at gas inspection at eurotunnel when he swung rack out to get to gas locker? Far from an isolated case!

I can't be the only one who is just a little sceptical about these bodies that are found hiding under bike covers etc.

Firstly there can't be much room to hide for one, never mind two people and secondly when these people do apparently hop aboard a motorhome, how do they know where it's bound for? - It could just as easily be heading south at the beginning of its travels.....

Has anyone actually provided first hand proof to back up their stories of being stowed away upon (phone pictures etc)? Or is it always a case of being told by someone, who knew someone's brother-in-law's neighbour got one (or two). Or knowing someone who told them it happened..... Maybe it was in the papers....

Cite Europe has got to be the most ridiculous place to try and stow away possible - it's right next to the police HQ :-)

Guest Joe90
Pretty ridiculous that hundreds of these folk would attempt to storm trucks in broad daylight as we witnessed earlier this week. If people choose to stay at Cite Europe that's up to them I guess, or as Clint Eastwood might say" do you feel lucky punk"........well personally I prefer to make my own luck.

Guest JudgeMental

Some are being very nieve... Fine being sceptical but ther are limits!

There are lots of first hand posts on various forums if you bother looking. They dont know what direction you are going when they hop on your van, They take a chance, they dont care!

Someone on Fun forum was driving south of Calais when he saw an arm appear in mirror from under van and start banging wall of van. He stopped and lad crawled out smiled and waved and saunters back in direction of port?

My fear would be if one fell from my van amd got killed would be a not so nice start or end to a holiday being tied up with police etc....

My example previously, was from Hugh who is a member on here, currently on holiday. He has the same busbiker NL swing out bike rack on his panel van. There is room behind it.....and if it wasn't for gas check they would have had a chance of making it!

Again the crowds of desperate people last week in Calais have to be seen to be believed! We just get in and out ASAP

In my overnight stay I saw one individual who may have been a migrant or a local. It's all about how you feel and if you are not happy move on. Same situation exist at UK motorway stops.

I am about to fit a bike rack to MH and it is beyond my comprehension of the possibility of two humans trying to conceal themselves in the space available. If it happened it happened but all I can say is they must have been obvious

Guest pelmetman

Cant say we felt unsafe at cite'de europe when we stopped there at Christmas and again in April, and now our favorite aire by the sewage works has gone up to 8€ a night 8-) .........I suspect we'll be using it on a regular basis :D ........

Guest Joe90
I'm out of the discussion now, but suffice to say yet again, it appears that the amounts of very desperate people numbering in their thousands now could be capable of anything, including robbery, and why not, even if caught the option of accommodation and three square meals a day courtesy of the French police may be preferable to a plastic sheet in the sand dunes, with bugger all else. Good luck where ever you folk park up.

we came through Calais on Tuesday - heading back to the UK via the tunnel. Not an immigrant or other person on the road up to the tunnel booths, possibly 2 or maybe 3 police vans parked up with a few policemen wandering about.

We have seen the migrants at the port but the tunnel road seems much more secure, probably being a single road its easier to patrol than the massive old dock area.

Archived